Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Feeling Broken-hearted

Feeling Broken-hearted

Old Oct 27th 2009, 11:08 am
Banned

LindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really nice
Default Re: Feeling Broken-hearted

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Well based on my own personal experience of recently taking on, a well loved dog, that couldn't stay with his owners because their circumstances changed (new baby, small flat) I would have to say that that wasn't the case at all.
I adopted what is thought of as amongst the most intelligent and 'attaching' breeds of dog, a Vizsla, and I would have to say that he didn't seem bothered in the slightest by the move.
I would like to think that I could take in a pet that needed a new home, and ensure that it was happy and healthy, and didn't miss its previous owner, and hats off to you that you have done it. I think what we're saying is really that often this isn't how it happens, and shouldn't we be looking at ways that it can be avoided?

As I said in an earlier post, I had 2 dogs for many years. They were mother and daughter. When I had to let the mother go aged 19 years, the other one went from a happy and still very young at heart (and body) dog, to a very old, frail, and finally very sick creature, very rapidly; within 11 months I had to let her go too. From the day she lost her mum and lifetime companion, she never even barked again, not once. She was a lost soul. It broke my heart to watch.

Don't tell me they don't have feelings
Old Oct 27th 2009, 11:16 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by LindyLoo500
I would like to think that I could take in a pet that needed a new home, and ensure that it was happy and healthy, and didn't miss its previous owner, and hats off to you that you have done it. I think what we're saying is really that often this isn't how it happens, and shouldn't we be looking at ways that it can be avoided?

As I said in an earlier post, I had 2 dogs for many years. They were mother and daughter. When I had to let the mother go aged 19 years, the other one went from a happy and still very young at heart (and body) dog, to a very old, frail, and finally very sick creature, very rapidly; within 11 months I had to let her go too. From the day she lost her mum and lifetime companion, she never even barked again, not once. She was a lost soul. It broke my heart to watch.

Don't tell me they don't have feelings
Not got an answer for that pet.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 11:32 am
BE Enthusiast

aussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by newlife_downunder
[F]Hi there, well house is up for sale and we hope to be living our dream January 2010, which we are really looking forward to; however, I have one reservation which are my dogs......basically I have two westies they are actually half-sisters, one is 10 the other is 5, they idolise each other, the thing is the 10 year old the vet has said because of her health issues (she has Atopy - a skin condition) she is on steroids , they would not advise us to take her with us. So a big dilemma, I dont want to split them up.....so I have to rehome them Hubby says we cannot put our life on hold because of the dogs, which I understand, but they are my babies. I feel sick to the pit of my stomach when I think about leaving them. None of our family want to be burden with them.

Is or has anyone been in the same situation?[/FONT]
I would take them with you if at all possible. Your ten year old will survive. Dogs are for life, not always possible I know, but if you love them find a way.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 11:39 am
Banned

LindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really nice

Originally Posted by kporte
Not got an answer for that pet.
There isn't an answer.

My only consolation was that I knew that I had done all I could for them, from the day that I made the commitment to have them. They had happy lives and I have no regrets. I "put my life on hold" and any plans included proper thought for their well being.

I can never have another one though, and often I wish I could.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 11:40 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by aussietobe
I would take them with you if at all possible. Your ten year old will survive. Dogs are for life, not always possible I know, but if you love them find a way.
This is all very good in theory but if anybody wants a 5 month old Chi that eats it's own shit and nips you with needle like teeth, let me know.
Also, if any other owners have odd socks the dog may have missed, can we get together to make up some matching pairs......
Old Oct 27th 2009, 11:54 am
Jan4kids

Jan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond repute

I actually wanted to leave our old Border Collie cross behind .....I thought he was way too old at 11 () and thought that spending 3K (Pounds) was a bit extortionate on something that would be dead in a few years ...oh dear

Of course I was very wrong, the day we picked him up was one of the best and made our house feel like a home again. We all loved him to bits and he especially loved the beach.

He went on for another 5 years, passing away in August.

Bring the dogs, you'll feel rotten if you don't.....
Old Oct 27th 2009, 12:03 pm
Banned

This is all very good in theory but if anybody wants a 5 month old Chi that eats it's own shit and nips you with needle like teeth, let me know.
Also, if any other owners have odd socks the dog may have missed, can we get together to make up some matching pairs......
Thanks for lightening it up! What colour sock do you have? I reckon I can help.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 12:05 pm
Account Closed

Thanks for lightening it up! What colour sock do you have? I reckon I can help.
She loves my wifes knickers too. It is only a matter of time before she struts into the lounge with a pair, when we have company.....
Old Oct 27th 2009, 12:13 pm
Banned

She loves my wifes knickers too. It is only a matter of time before she struts into the lounge with a pair, when we have company.....
OMG. That triggered a happy memory! Exactly that; she'd whipped them off the clean linen pile on the bed, ran into the sitting room with them stuck firmly over her head! You've been warned!
Old Oct 27th 2009, 12:17 pm
Account Closed

OMG. That triggered a happy memory! Exactly that; she'd whipped them off the clean linen pile on the bed, ran into the sitting room with them stuck firmly over her head! You've been warned!
I dream of the clean linen pile. Sadly the dirty linen basket is more accessible.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 12:39 pm
Banned

I dream of the clean linen pile. Sadly the dirty linen basket is more accessible.
Ahh, well, when you're only a very small Bichon, the dirty linen basket is too big a mountain to climb........
Old Oct 27th 2009, 12:44 pm
Account Closed

Ahh, well, when you're only a very small Bichon, the dirty linen basket is too big a mountain to climb........
A Bichon is a monster compared to my wee lass
Old Oct 27th 2009, 1:50 pm
broken but got a visa! :

katsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond repute

I had the 2 dogs in uk, 11yr old girl and 7 yr old boy - my sis in law asked for the boy which was a huge weight off my mind, but i had to let my old girl go to sleep, she'd had a stroke and was blind in 1 eye - the vet said (and i know it was) it was kinder to let her go to sleep than put her through the trauma of the flight and quarantine.
It was the worst and hardest part of emigrating.
Due to unforseen circumstances my sis in law couldnt keep my boy and rehomed him with her friend at christmas - hes doing just fine and is spoilt rotten.

I got a lil girlie last sept as i found it so hard not having a dog - shes now a huge beastie and a massive part of our family.
Attached Thumbnails Feeling Broken-hearted-dsc00583.jpg   Feeling Broken-hearted-dsc00672.jpg  
Old Oct 27th 2009, 2:43 pm
Banned

A Bichon is a monster compared to my wee lass
Bichons are certainly monsters, I'll agree!
Old Oct 28th 2009, 2:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Nick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to behold

Well known fact mate...dogs take after their owners!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.