Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Feeling Broken-hearted

Feeling Broken-hearted

Old Oct 27th 2009, 6:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Elizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Feeling Broken-hearted

Originally Posted by kporte
Fair enough. Some people make their choices based on a dog/cat. I wouldn't.
You should bear in mind that the animal doesn't care less, as long as they are fed and watered.

true enough, but some people love their pets and feel attached to them beyond just feeding and watering them, there's the whole companionship aspect.

The OP describes herself as "Broken Hearted" -- so clearly for her this is a very upsetting matter, and she doesn't feel that her pet is just an animal to feed and water. I would feel the same way...I raised my dog from a tiny puppy, it's not easy to just think of ditching him in a "I'm off to another country and you'll have to fend for yourself" kind of way. Not saying that he would influence such a life decision, but he is part of my life wherever it may be and whatever country I might be in, so it's not easy...

Last edited by Elizabeth I; Oct 27th 2009 at 6:41 am.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 6:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Elizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Some of us consider that when we take in a cat or a dog that we take them for the rest of their natural life, not just for our convenience.

Well said.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 8:10 am
Banned

LindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Elizabeth I
Well said.
Isn't it time people took the view that a dog is for life, not just until you want to bugger off somewhere else, where it might cause a few problems to take your pet?

People should give much more thought about whether to have one in the first place, then there would be much less need for rescue centres, puppy farms would die out, dogs wouldn't be left to fend for themselves when they're booted out and animals would have a happier life.

And come to that, maybe people should give the same degree of thought about whether they should have kids or not. Then the world might be a better place to live in.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 8:41 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a dog. I love my dog. We got her here, now we are certain we are settled. If for any reason we had to go back and couldn't take her, I would be gutted but it wouldn't stop me. It's a dog. We would rehouse her and she would be as happy as Larry. This is in no way cruel, just realistic and sensible. People seem to talk as if dogs had human emotions. They don't. I have great sympathy for the OP but you can't put your life on hold for a dog.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 8:49 am
Banned

LindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really nice

I have a dog. I love my dog. We got her here, now we are certain we are settled. If for any reason we had to go back and couldn't take her, I would be gutted but it wouldn't stop me. It's a dog. We would rehouse her and she would be as happy as Larry. This is in no way cruel, just realistic and sensible. People seem to talk as if dogs had human emotions. They don't. I have great sympathy for the OP but you can't put your life on hold for a dog.
There aren't usually many reasons these days where you can't take your pet with you when you move around the world. I don't think I was suggesting that it is always cruel to leave them behind, although often it is. I just think more people should give more thought to the whole idea of getting pets. They're not toys. Too many people get them just as a 5 minute wonder is all I'm saying.

I had two dogs. One lived to 19 years, the other 18 years. I chose to give them the commitment that I felt they deserved, having made the decision to have them in the first place.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 8:52 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by LindyLoo500
There aren't usually many reasons these days where you can't take your pet with you when you move around the world. I don't think I was suggesting that it is always cruel to leave them behind, although often it is. I just think more people should give more thought to the whole idea of getting pets. They're not toys. Too many people get them just as a 5 minute wonder is all I'm saying.

I had two dogs. One lived to 19 years, the other 18 years. I chose to give them the commitment that I felt they deserved, having made the decision to have them in the first place.
Totally agree. I have wanted another dog for years but have held off until I feel I can provide a steady home. This is another issue to the OP's situation though.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 8:58 am
Banned

Totally agree. I have wanted another dog for years but have held off until I feel I can provide a steady home. This is another issue to the OP's situation though.
I'm afraid I'm not brave enough to have another pet. I just act as a sitter now and then when asked.
It also begs the question, if it doesn't work out for the OP when they emigrate, what happens to any acquired pets then? Do they get "rehomed" as well?
Old Oct 27th 2009, 8:59 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Totally agree. I have wanted another dog for years but have held off until I feel I can provide a steady home.
Did exactly the same. Came on a 457 so never had any real certainty about staying.. once that converted to PR we adopted our dog, as I had promised my son we would.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 9:00 am
Account Closed

I'm afraid I'm not brave enough to have another pet. I just act as a sitter now and then when asked
What are you doing Wednesday - Tuesday? We are off to Bali.....
Old Oct 27th 2009, 9:02 am
Banned

What are you doing Wednesday - Tuesday? We are off to Bali.....
Send me the ticket, and I'm there!
Old Oct 27th 2009, 9:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

We had to make the decision to leave our dog behind. It was very short notice to come over here and in rented property. So taking a dog was not an option.

I was very upset but I knew in the long run the family would be better off in Australia. I did cry a lot, but my kids had to come first and we had been dreaming of this chance for years..

Luckily we knew our dog would have a good home with friends.

At the end of the day your family has to come first.

Gems
Old Oct 27th 2009, 10:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gems
We had to make the decision to leave our dog behind. It was very short notice to come over here and in rented property. So taking a dog was not an option.

I was very upset but I knew in the long run the family would be better off in Australia. I did cry a lot, but my kids had to come first and we had been dreaming of this chance for years..

Luckily we knew our dog would have a good home with friends.

At the end of the day your family has to come first.

Gems
Having animals certainly does make life harder. I guess most of us will rent at first and one of the reasons that my husband and I may come separately is so that one of us finds a pet friendly home first and the cats don't have to sit in kennels whilst we do so.

I took the cats on and made a commitment and I will just have to cope with the inconvenience now. A cat is for life and all that...

I don't really get the "your family has to come first" argument. Nobody is saying that the pet dog is more important or even as important as the children and if you can only save one from a burning house then there is no competition. But I would still maintain that there are too many people willing to throw their animals out because it entails a bit more planning and inconvenience that they would like. They are not "putting their family first", sorry.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 10:31 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Having animals certainly does make life harder. I guess most of us will rent at first and one of the reasons that my husband and I may come separately is so that one of us finds a pet friendly home first and the cats don't have to sit in kennels whilst we do so.

I took the cats on and made a commitment and I will just have to cope with the inconvenience now. A cat is for life and all that...

I don't really get the "your family has to come first" argument. Nobody is saying that the pet dog is more important or even as important as the children and if you can only save one from a burning house then there is no competition. But I would still maintain that there are too many people willing to throw their animals out because it entails a bit more planning and inconvenience that they would like. They are not "putting their family first", sorry.
Agree with this totally. It's not about putting family first, or treating them like humans. It's about being more responsible before taking on the commitment of a pet in the first place.

Most of us agree that they are not human, but if you cut them they bleed, if you kick them they hurt, and if you abandon them to somebody else they pine for the familiarity of what they're used to. You also cannot be sure that the new owner that you find for them won't also abandon them when the circumstances become difficult, or the mood dictates, or a life change is necessary.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 10:45 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

...and if you abandon them to somebody else they pine for the familiarity of what they're used to.
Well based on my own personal experience of recently taking on, a well loved dog, that couldn't stay with his owners because their circumstances changed (new baby, small flat) I would have to say that that wasn't the case at all.
I adopted what is thought of as amongst the most intelligent and 'attaching' breeds of dog, a Vizsla, and I would have to say that he didn't seem bothered in the slightest by the move.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 10:47 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

I bought 2 pussies in OZ and dragged them all the way back to UK...i love my pussies

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.