Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Federal Government Eligibility

Federal Government Eligibility

Old Oct 10th 2007, 10:01 am
Forum Regular

Nikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud of
Default Federal Government Eligibility

Hi guys

Wonder if anyone can help? There are a few jobs advertised in federal government that I am interested in applying for, however it states that you have to be an australian citizen or a permanent resident eligible to become an australian citizen. I might be being stupid but does this mean I have to have been in the country long enough to be able to apply right now or just that I have to have the right permanent residency visa to be able to apply to become a citizen when I've been here long enough (only been here 6 months!!!)?

Hope one of you can help.

Thanks again

Nikki
Old Oct 10th 2007, 10:20 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Federal Government Eligibility

Originally Posted by Nikki.P
Hi guys

Wonder if anyone can help? There are a few jobs advertised in federal government that I am interested in applying for, however it states that you have to be an australian citizen or a permanent resident eligible to become an australian citizen. I might be being stupid but does this mean I have to have been in the country long enough to be able to apply right now or just that I have to have the right permanent residency visa to be able to apply to become a citizen when I've been here long enough (only been here 6 months!!!)?

Hope one of you can help.

Thanks again

Nikki
It means that either you have to have citizenship or have been in the country long enough to apply for citizenship. Federal government jobs (for the most part) are only open to citizens and if you are only PR a condition of your being hired would be that you get citizenship before you start work.

(The recruitment agency I worked for did a big Centrelink intake and I learned all about it then)
Old Oct 10th 2007, 10:24 am
Forum Regular

Nikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Dorothy
It means that either you have to have citizenship or have been in the country long enough to apply for citizenship. Federal government jobs (for the most part) are only open to citizens and if you are only PR a condition of your being hired would be that you get citizenship before you start work.

(The recruitment agency I worked for did a big Centrelink intake and I learned all about it then)
Hiya Dorothy

Thanks for that. How are things in Perth? Are you settled and liking it? What are you doing with yourself now?

Nikki
Old Oct 10th 2007, 10:30 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Nikki. Well, we're fairly settled but are looking at buying a place of our own now. Just sorting out finance, etc. Perth is very nice and I've met some really nice people here. We went to a meet up in King's Park a few weeks ago and actually met AstonMan in person! He's a hoot. Work's good. I'm working for a migration agent now. I've known him for a couple of years and he told me if I ever get to Perth to look him up. I did and he offered me a great job with flex hours. The girls in my office are great, too.

How you getting on? Are you guys settled in now? Too bad Farideh is thinking of moving interstate too, eh? And you know about Julia's having to go back to England? Hope you're doing well.
D
Old Oct 10th 2007, 12:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Hi Nikki. Well, we're fairly settled but are looking at buying a place of our own now. Just sorting out finance, etc. Perth is very nice and I've met some really nice people here. We went to a meet up in King's Park a few weeks ago and actually met AstonMan in person! He's a hoot. Work's good. I'm working for a migration agent now. I've known him for a couple of years and he told me if I ever get to Perth to look him up. I did and he offered me a great job with flex hours. The girls in my office are great, too.

How you getting on? Are you guys settled in now? Too bad Farideh is thinking of moving interstate too, eh? And you know about Julia's having to go back to England? Hope you're doing well.
D
Great to hear from you, and glad to hear you've settled well. Your job sounds good, I still haven't found a job that I love yet, all the jobs I like the sound of are in federal government...typical!!!!

Is Farideh definately going then? Wendy had told me her hubby had been offered a job interstate. I didn't know that Julia is going back, I'm sorry to hear that, thats not good news, Wendy will be gutted.

We are liking it here, we just need to get ourselves sorted with permanent jobs that we both like and it'll all be good.

Take care and keep in touch.

Nikki
Old Oct 10th 2007, 12:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Great to hear from you, and glad to hear you've settled well. Your job sounds good, I still haven't found a job that I love yet, all the jobs I like the sound of are in federal government...typical!!!!

Is Farideh definately going then? Wendy had told me her hubby had been offered a job interstate. I didn't know that Julia is going back, I'm sorry to hear that, thats not good news, Wendy will be gutted.

We are liking it here, we just need to get ourselves sorted with permanent jobs that we both like and it'll all be good.

Nikki

Julia's Mum passed away last week, so she has gone back for the funeral. She will be back in Australia next Tuesday though
Old Oct 10th 2007, 1:46 pm
Still alive

Nikki
Sorry, I didn't mean to say she's going back for good. I meant to say she's going for her Mum's funeral. I've got this stupid new laptop from work and every now and then for some stupid reason it suddenly highlights a bunch of text and deletes it! It must have deleted the "for her mum's funeral" bit and I didn't proof read before posting.