Wikiposts

fed up with uk

Old Apr 17th 2005, 8:32 am
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all
Default Re: fed up with uk

Originally Posted by wmoore
Weather is probably a big factor for a lot of people wanting to go to Oz. There's no doubt that the ability to get out more without packing wellies and a brolly is a pull.
Indeed, but we have medical reasons too so it just makes so much sense!
Old Apr 17th 2005, 8:36 am
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Ben wanting brisbane life
Sure JIM but at least UK IS better than some places, it is stable, education is good, i am sure there are other positive points, although i wil have to think long and hard before i can come up with any
Oh too true! my kids are in an excellent school which was very hard to get them into. I'm sure many ppl around me think we are just crazy as we don't have it too bad here, but if it aint right, it just aint!

remember I'm doing the risky route of Study to PR so may very well HAVE to return after 2 yrs, but a 2 yr holiday in Oz sounds good to me if that's what it all boils down too!
Old Apr 17th 2005, 8:58 am
Forum Regular

TraceyandPeter is a jewel in the roughTraceyandPeter is a jewel in the roughTraceyandPeter is a jewel in the roughTraceyandPeter is a jewel in the rough

Hi there,
Took the kiddies to the zoo today. Jess is three and Sam 19 months old. Weather was really lovely early this morning so we headed off with a plan. Arrived at Zoo, paid £30 for two adults and weather started to take a turn for the worse. It started to get freezing. Tried to make the most of it along with the other families eating their butties with their woolly hats and fingerless gloves and decided that enough was enough. My little boy had two candlesticks running from his nose and was shaking and I couldn't feel my hands.
We saw three elephants, a lion and some monkeys.
Say's it all really. You just can't plan to do anything here can you? And before anyone has a go, I know it rains in Oz (sometimes)
Tracey
Old Apr 17th 2005, 9:02 am
Merlot

Originally Posted by TraceyandPeter
Hi there,
Took the kiddies to the zoo today. Jess is three and Sam 19 months old. Weather was really lovely early this morning so we headed off with a plan. Arrived at Zoo, paid £30 for two adults and weather started to take a turn for the worse. It started to get freezing. Tried to make the most of it along with the other families eating their butties with their woolly hats and fingerless gloves and decided that enough was enough. My little boy had two candlesticks running from his nose and was shaking and I couldn't feel my hands.
Say's it all really. You just can't plan to do anything here can you? And before anyone has a go, I know it rains in Oz (sometimes)
Tracey
One thing me and hubby have noticed in comparision to Australia is the cost of a day out here, even visiting National Trust places, then parking, then eating out if you don't pack a picnic. If you do pack a picnic, find somewhere free to eat it (not a roadside layby).

Downside of going out in Oz, can do it really cheap . . beach, national park, etc BUT this gets a little mundane.

Don't forget the suncream in Oz

M

Old Apr 17th 2005, 9:51 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

YOUR KIDS WILL BE FINE IN UK. The main advantage in Oz for them is some warmer weather and more swimming. Education and Uni etc are similiar, ie depends on where you live and are educated. Just remember the Oz government needs to bring in 110,000 migrants a year because of the failures of the system to create enough skilled locals.

You then have to ask why 1/20th of the Australian population lives overseas. Most studies have shown it is for career and development opportunites unavailable in Oz.

My gran emigrated to South Africa in the late sixties saying Britain was sinking, immigrants, going to the dogs blah blah. She returned last year.

Those that go on about sinking Britain and who fail to settle in Oz IMO will have the toughest time. In the meantime there are some very successful migrants to Britain.
Old Apr 17th 2005, 10:06 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by TraceyandPeter
Hi there,
Tracey
Exactly!

Originally Posted by Merlot
One thing me and hubby have noticed in comparision to Australia is the cost of a day out here, even visiting National Trust places, then parking, then eating out if you don't pack a picnic. If you do pack a picnic, find somewhere free to eat it (not a roadside layby).

Downside of going out in Oz, can do it really cheap . . beach, national park, etc BUT this gets a little mundane.

Don't forget the suncream in Oz

M
I think an Aussie I had in the cab not long ago sumed it up well. He said in the 6 months he'd been in the UK (ok, London which isn't the cheepest place to live!) he learnt very fast that to live a DECENT life you HAVE TO have money! in Oz, him and his family COULD live a decent enough life, have plenty of good days out, with a MODEST wage!

I don't wanna be rich, I don't wanna have it all! but a day out like today I had, with a good few hours down at the park, walking along the canal with my lot, the kids grandad, and the dog, well it just cost nowt and WAS a real good day!

WEATHER WAS FINE THO!!! ........ never a guarantee here as we all know!
Old Apr 17th 2005, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

Storini will become famous soon enoughStorini will become famous soon enough

I have to say I really like how friendly Ozzies are in general, it makes life so much more agreeable. Try smiling at someone on the London tube - they'll move away as you clearly must be a "tube crazy".
Old Apr 17th 2005, 10:12 am
Merlot

Originally Posted by bondipom
My gran emigrated to South Africa in the late sixties saying Britain was sinking, immigrants, going to the dogs blah blah. She returned last year.

Wasn't that Spike Milligan's Dads push for him & his family moving to Oz, seeing a "blackie" driving a bus (sorry not PC, just very 1950s Britain speak)

Old Apr 17th 2005, 10:14 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Storini
I have to say I really like how friendly Ozzies are in general, it makes life so much more agreeable. Try smiling at someone on the London tube - they'll move away as you clearly must be a "tube crazy".
I've said on here b4, and I know, i sound like a creep!

but!! .......... myself and partner have NEVER fallen out or even had a heated debate with anyone from Oz. I'm a cabbie in london and will have at least 2 or 3 Aussies in the cab throught my night shift. As soon as I hear the Oz accent, I'm off!! ...lol, bending their ear about life in Oz.

NEVER EVER come across a single Aussie who has told me I'd hate it there!

General consensus is I will love it, but not as much as my kids will!

What more can I say!
Old Apr 17th 2005, 10:15 am
Merlot

Originally Posted by Jim2004
Exactly!

I think an Aussie I had in the cab not long ago sumed it up well. He said in the 6 months he'd been in the UK (ok, London which isn't the cheepest place to live!) he learnt very fast that to live a DECENT life you HAVE TO have money! in Oz, him and his family COULD live a decent enough life, have plenty of good days out, with a MODEST wage!

I don't wanna be rich, I don't wanna have it all! but a day out like today I had, with a good few hours down at the park, walking along the canal with my lot, the kids grandad, and the dog, well it just cost nowt and WAS a real good day!

WEATHER WAS FINE THO!!! ........ never a guarantee here as we all know!
Our personal experience for me & hubby, no kids is that Australia we got more for our money and I could afford to work part time, here I possibly could if we wanted to eat fresh air and have no loo roll

I sincerely agree with the senitment of the UK being nothing but bloody bills.

M

Old Apr 17th 2005, 10:22 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fitz
hi there,i will be moving to perth in dec this year with my family and it can't come soon enough,i feel in leaving the uk i'm leaving the proverbial sinking
ship,i feel with the weather,immigration{ in particular the past twenty years} and more importantly the economy, britain has become a shithole{sorry to offend}i hate to think what the uk will be like in the next couple of decades.
i am leaving britain{scotland}for australia for a better quality of life, i know
it's not all about sun,surf and sand, i will still be working hard and paying the bills as in the uk but that's where the similarity ends,i will be working to live
and not living to work as i seem to be doing at the moment,life in britain has
become intollerable and i'm thankful to have the opportunity to move to oz.
i have been sitting on my visa for a few years now and have visited oz a
couple of times and can say with certainty that when i move i won't be back.
i have no family or friends in oz but i know that the long term benefits will be
without doubt worth it.
now that i've got that off my chest i'd like to hear your thoughts.
martin.
I've said it before, go for the pull of Oz, not the push of the UK. Australia has all of the problems of the UK (apart from the weather), some better, some worse. If you think you are escaping problems in the UK, you might find the same problems down there.

People have been saying the UK is finished for decades. It isn't & probably never will be. UK is a land of massive opportunity, so is Australia.
Old Apr 17th 2005, 10:28 am

MrsB is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fitz
hi there,i will be moving to perth in dec this year with my family and it can't come soon enough,i feel in leaving the uk i'm leaving the proverbial sinking
ship,i feel with the weather,immigration{ in particular the past twenty years} and more importantly the economy, britain has become a shithole{sorry to offend}i hate to think what the uk will be like in the next couple of decades.
i am leaving britain{scotland}for australia for a better quality of life, i know
it's not all about sun,surf and sand, i will still be working hard and paying the bills as in the uk but that's where the similarity ends,i will be working to live
and not living to work as i seem to be doing at the moment,life in britain has
become intollerable and i'm thankful to have the opportunity to move to oz.
i have been sitting on my visa for a few years now and have visited oz a
couple of times and can say with certainty that when i move i won't be back.
i have no family or friends in oz but i know that the long term benefits will be
without doubt worth it.
now that i've got that off my chest i'd like to hear your thoughts.
martin.
Well, from somebody who is already here: we left for exactly the same reasons. I thought of everything I would NOT miss, like weather, I didn't think about things I would miss. All I would say is to give it a go, it really does depend on your circumstances, but leave a door open incase you want to come back. Because you can't really tell until you are living here. I personally want to go back to England in 2 years when I have my citizenship. I really miss my family, and my kids are being deprived of their grandparents etc. I can't just hop in a car and go and see my mum and dad. Have you read the "homesick" threads ?? We are far worse off here financially than in the uk. Taxes here are high, and you have to pay $54 just to visit the doctor (ok you get about $30 back). My husband is finding their work ethic totally different. Its so samey here, no history, no culture. Think of how many holiday destinations you can do from Europe, and how many from here? Everyone is different, I know people who have been here years, others who stayed a week, and I've heard of someone who got back on the plane after a couple of hours!!!
Well good luck anyway, everyone is different, but don't burn your bridges
Old Apr 17th 2005, 10:34 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Merlot
have no loo roll
ouch!
Old Apr 17th 2005, 10:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

Reading some of the comments, if you are leaving UK because of immigration, crime, yobs blah blah you will also find it in Australia. If you don't like "foreigners" you are going to be very rudely woken up as your neighbours could be Chinese, Japanese, Vietmese, Italian, Somalian, Indian blah blah. From talking to a friends out there they think the social problems have been come quite bad especially with kids. Police complain about kids roaming and committing crime and some are under 10 and they feel helpless in dealing with some of the problems. Drugs is a big problem out there also, in some places children are illiterate due to poor education. People also forget distances, the nearest cities down south are no less that 9 hours driving, so if you can't get work in one place you literally have to up sticks, unlike UK where you can easily commute. Some people do feel islolated and if you have a family it is expensive to go back home and with exchange rates people have lost a lot of money in going back. If you can't get work or are not multi skilled awhat are you going to do? If you are used to family and friends support you have to remember if the shit hits the fan you are completely on your own. People don't always realise that. Its easy to say hell if it doesn't work out I'll go somewhere else...but if you have no money it isn't always an option and some people do get trapped and it is their reality, moreso if they have a family. Some Australians think Australia also has gone to the dogs hence why they live in other countries.
Old Apr 17th 2005, 10:43 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by bondipom
She probably made the wrong choice. My wife`s parents had the choice of the £10 boat trips to either S.A. or Aus in the 60`s, and they chose Aus. Dunno why they went to Perth though... maybe because it was the first stop in Aus from S`ton. Personally I`d have gone east, but maybe I`m just dissilusioned with Perth as I was born there and spent some latter teen years there and found it very boring.

I don`t hate the UK. I hate some parts of living in the UK (anything to do with money really.... taxes are a killer), the Chavs, the seeming open-door immigration policy (which in turn leads to lack of affordable housing and more strain on public resources).... but overall I like living in the UK... the history, the travel opportunities, the beautiful scenery, the entertainment. In Oz the lifestyle is more relaxed and the weather may be better, but it has no history to visit, and I don`t find it beautiful except for the beaches. International class entertainment just doesn`t make it there that often (especially Perth).
I`ll miss the UK, but know my kids will have a better future in most ways in Oz, and they can always come to the UK if they want to once they are old enough.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.