Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Fax machine Question

Fax machine Question

Old Jan 3rd 2007, 12:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

teejay66 has a reputation beyond reputeteejay66 has a reputation beyond reputeteejay66 has a reputation beyond reputeteejay66 has a reputation beyond reputeteejay66 has a reputation beyond reputeteejay66 has a reputation beyond reputeteejay66 has a reputation beyond reputeteejay66 has a reputation beyond reputeteejay66 has a reputation beyond reputeteejay66 has a reputation beyond reputeteejay66 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Fax machine Question

Hi ,
just want to know if a british fax machine will work in Oz

thanks for any help

Phil
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 4:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of
Default Re: Fax machine Question

Mine didn't and someone convinced me there's a wiring difference. Sorry.
Old Jan 4th 2007, 8:51 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Neither did ours.
Old Jan 4th 2007, 11:22 am
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

Mine's an HP officejet allinone (printer and fax) and it does work over here. Has the same connector thingy as the phones over here. Hope this techno speak was coherent to someone.
Old Jan 4th 2007, 12:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

Does it work through the computer? If so, then it should also work here.
Old Jan 4th 2007, 11:06 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

I bought one in Hong Kong years ago set t Australian wiring and it worked in the UK except that it wouldn't tone dial - only pulse dialling worked. Strangely enough, if I did tone dial and recorded the dialling tones then replayed the recording through the handset it worked! So the tones were OK but not something else. Never got to the bottom of it, so we sold the fax when we came to Oz and bought another here.

I have heard that the phone/fax problem is due to Oz using different sets of wires from the four on a normal telephone lead. I wouldn't risk it - treat yourself to a new one!
Old Jan 6th 2007, 1:44 am
Forum Regular

Coulterk will become famous soon enoughCoulterk will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by teejay66
Hi ,
just want to know if a british fax machine will work in Oz

thanks for any help

Phil
Telephone standards are different in each country around the world. When a manufacturer makes a telecom product, they have to put the appropriate country circuitry in the machine and have it tested by the country telecom body (takes time and costs them). Depending on the fax machine manufacturer, some will have created a global product and had it approved for many countries and some just approve it with the country of manufacture.

You need to check with the fax machine instructions (you could probably get these online if you have lost them) or the manufacturer itself and find out if the fax machine is Austel approved.