Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Favorite mail order website from The UK?

Favorite mail order website from The UK?

Old Jul 27th 2011, 4:28 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Favorite mail order website from The UK?

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
As I personally intend never to buy hard copy of media again. Too much faffing around in getting what you want to screen or HiFi.. I wonder how long it will take DVD's to die as media. I honestly thought their days were well and truely numbered and Blu Ray another Betamax.
I agree with you about never buying physical media ever again, but I doubt that DVD and Blu Ray are finished just yet:
CDs have been around for nearly 30 years and they are still going strong - hell, you can even still buy vinyl, and that's been around since before the birth of electronics. Same for DVD.
mkv is supposed to be the same quality as BR - it's not.
Old Jul 27th 2011, 4:35 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

People feel more that they own the music/video/game and won't lose it if they have that physical disk. Attitudes will change in time, I'm sure. The same with books.
Old Jul 27th 2011, 4:41 am
BE Enthusiast

In Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
People feel more that they own the music/video/game and won't lose it if they have that physical disk. Attitudes will change in time, I'm sure. The same with books.
the difference for me with books is that I can read a book for hours on end and not get achy eyes. if I read paragraphs on a screen for half an hour, sometimes less, my eyes ache and I cant concentrate.

Its not an issue with my actual vision, per say - I checked with the optomatrist (sp).

Tried iPad, Kindle and the good old laptop monitor, all the same. Well Kindle was better, but it still wont ever replace a book for me.

Now the only problem I have is getting the motivation to actually read stuff.
Old Jul 27th 2011, 5:04 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by In Exile
the difference for me with books is that I can read a book for hours on end and not get achy eyes. if I read paragraphs on a screen for half an hour, sometimes less, my eyes ache and I cant concentrate.

Its not an issue with my actual vision, per say - I checked with the optomatrist (sp).

Tried iPad, Kindle and the good old laptop monitor, all the same. Well Kindle was better, but it still wont ever replace a book for me.

Now the only problem I have is getting the motivation to actually read stuff.
That's a good point. I also have far more staying power with reading paper based text. I began using reading glasses for the very first time last year so had put it down to the eyes. Maybe the technology still has a little way to go for the experience to be exactly like reading a book?
Old Jul 27th 2011, 5:08 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

That's a good point. I also have far more staying power with reading paper based text. I began using reading glasses for the very first time last year so had put it down to the eyes. Maybe the technology still has a little way to go for the experience to be exactly like reading a book?
Although books will never be totally replaced, text only books have a very bleak future. On the other hand, books with lots of high-quality photos or graphics do not translate well onto a pad, tablet or screen and will be with us for a long time yet.
Old Jul 27th 2011, 5:31 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

I've tried iPad reading but I much prefer books. I like the way the pages feel, the spangly covers and having them stacked neatly on the shelves. More pleasurable than browsing a computer library. I'm a huge reader in water as well - in the bath, sea, swimming pool and I wouldn't risk chucking the iPad in. I think there's a big Luddite resistance to computer reading.
Old Jul 27th 2011, 6:49 am
BE Enthusiast

In Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
I've tried iPad reading but I much prefer books. I like the way the pages feel, the spangly covers and having them stacked neatly on the shelves. More pleasurable than browsing a computer library. I'm a huge reader in water as well - in the bath, sea, swimming pool and I wouldn't risk chucking the iPad in. I think there's a big Luddite resistance to computer reading.
how do you avoid getting the pages stuck together?

lol - i mean the water-on-paper-action obvioulsy.
Old Jul 27th 2011, 7:08 am
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I agree with you about never buying physical media ever again, but I doubt that DVD and Blu Ray are finished just yet:
CDs have been around for nearly 30 years and they are still going strong - hell, you can even still buy vinyl, and that's been around since before the birth of electronics. Same for DVD.
mkv is supposed to be the same quality as BR - it's not.
Ford recently announced they are going to stop putting CD players in there cars.
Old Jul 27th 2011, 7:45 am
Banned

Originally Posted by papilon
Ford recently announced they are going to stop putting CD players in there cars.
What are they putting in instead? A docking station and a USB port?
Old Jul 27th 2011, 7:51 am
Proudly Deplorable

What are they putting in instead? A docking station and a USB port?
My Jetta has a media interface to which I can attach USB or ipod. It also has an SD card slot in the dash for mp3 storage (you can get a lot of mp3 on a 32Gb!). It also has a 6 stack CD player that I have never used.

Some cars are also come with HDD storage now too.

Last edited by Amazulu; Jul 27th 2011 at 7:54 am.
Old Jul 27th 2011, 8:01 am
BE Enthusiast

My Jetta has a media interface to which I can attach USB or ipod. It also has an SD card slot in the dash for mp3 storage (you can get a lot of mp3 on a 32Gb!). It also has a 6 stack CD player that I have never used.

we recently bought an MY2011 Honda Accord Euro. came with 6cd (mp3). That was it. we paid extra fort their ipod integration....and it was so crap it wouldnt even display track names. said "track 2313", couldn't browse artists/track/album anything. Despite their sales person saying "its got everything you want and more" (i still have the email!)

got angry, shouted, got money back plus bonus, now looking at third party installations.

Their new MY2012 version released later this year finally has USB...which has been in the rest of the world since 2006.

Hondas - they're great drivers but they have rubbish stereos.
Old Jul 27th 2011, 8:09 am

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

The only reason I'd contemplate buying a Jetta would be if it came with a proper driving interface.
Old Jul 27th 2011, 8:17 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
The only reason I'd contemplate buying a Jetta would be if it came with a proper driving interface.
The Jetta is awesome. What car would you buy then?
Old Jul 27th 2011, 8:39 am

The Jetta is awesome. What car would you buy then?
Was just joshing... I'd take any reliable sturdy 4 wheel drive here so I don't get mown down by the berks on the roads.
Old Jul 27th 2011, 10:08 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

I can see some advantages in e-readers but personally can't stand the tiny page size. You only read a couple of paragraphs and have to turn the page which really annoys me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.