16.47%
Other - please state
36.47%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Favorite Aussie Animal

Old Mar 25th 2005, 11:54 am
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Favorite Aussie Animal

Originally Posted by Grayling
Why go to Australia to swim with Dolphins??

You can do it in the UK (in the wild):

http://www.godo.visitwales.com/15042/09.AA.html#faq8

G

more to the point, why go to seaworld where they are held in captivity?? There are plenty of places around australia where you are able to kayak, paddle or swim with dolphins in their natural habitat..
Old Mar 25th 2005, 12:24 pm
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

On the subject, I don't think I could possibly choose one animal over any other that would be "faviourite" as such (well, maybe the missus I'd have to say if pushed to choose one!). I have however listed below some more native Australian animals not yet mentioned on this thread, that I believe are also fascinating creatures worthy of viewing if you get the chance...
  • Lace Monitor - One of the funniest things you will ever see is one of these running up a tree when startled!!
  • Snakes such as Taipan and Eastern Brown - Keep your distance though!
  • Emu - very odd looking thing but can run very fast!!
  • Cassowary - Even odder looking than the Emu!!
  • Saltwater & Freshwater Crocodiles - Don't drag you hand in the water if out boating in FNQ!!
  • Lyrebirds - Are similar to peacocks in that the male has a fantastic array of tailfeathers. I've only seen one of these in the wild
  • Whales (Southern Right, Humpback, Killer and Blue) Can all be seen off different parts of Australian coast periodically
  • The coral Reefs (great barrier especially) - An amazing array of living organisms
  • Dingos - did you know that the only genetically pure species of Dingo exists on Fraser Island, Qld?

There are many more species, especially birds species that I could write about but I thought the above animals are all worth a mention.
Old Mar 25th 2005, 1:38 pm
wombat42

Originally Posted by Vegemite Kids
Definately the wombat !
Good Choice. They are cuter then Koala Bears, but often overlooked because they don't get as much publicity.
l will send you Karma.

Last edited by wombat42; Mar 25th 2005 at 2:09 pm.

Old Mar 25th 2005, 1:38 pm
So Happy We could Dance

rob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to all

Have only tried kangaroo from your list, quite tasty, but only if its cooked properly. and you need a good glass of red to go with it
Old Mar 25th 2005, 1:44 pm
wombat42

Originally Posted by Jim2004
Agreed, but it'll get my vote. Reason being my daughter loves them, and wants to go to Oz to see them!

Anything to get the kids on our side is good in my books!
l'm a bit suprised you chose Wombats .

Last edited by wombat42; Mar 25th 2005 at 1:46 pm.

Old Mar 25th 2005, 7:52 pm
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinegorka
What's your Fav Aus animal/or animals found in Aus?

Mine's dolphins.

Cas
I think Quokkas are really cute even though they look like an overgrown rat in some ways. They are still really cute. As far as I know they only live in Rottnest Island (Just off the WA coast.). You can get to the island by boats from Perth (at the river end of Barrack st). They are very tame and used to humans, so you can sometimes pick them up and hold them. Unfortuantely some idiot teenage boys have at times tortured and killed some of them.

They are a protected species, and anyone convicted of mistreating them can expect absolutely NO LENIENCY from the courts, as the case should be.
Old Mar 25th 2005, 7:59 pm
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Mine's dolphins.

Cas
Here is a pic of a mother Quokka and her joey ( least thats what it appears to be).
Attached Thumbnails Favorite Aussie Animal-quokka.jpg  
Old Mar 25th 2005, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

LindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the rough

Possom....'cos they give karma!
Old Mar 25th 2005, 9:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ialibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wombat42
l'm a bit suprised you chose Wombats .
Eats roots and leaves. Insert the punctuation marks where and if you wish.
Old Mar 25th 2005, 9:55 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Ialibu
Eats roots and leaves. Insert the punctuation marks where and if you wish.
Well if this poll was on NZ animals, you could nominate a Kiwi. It eats roots shoots and leaves
Old Mar 25th 2005, 11:51 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

My favourite so far has to be the little Gekko.

What a facinating creature.

It's not easy to take a piccie of them so hope this one comes out....
Attached Thumbnails Favorite Aussie Animal-geko.jpg  
Old Mar 25th 2005, 11:54 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Bix
My favourite so far has to be the little Gekko.

What a facinating creature.

It's not easy to take a piccie of them so hope this one comes out....
They are very cute Bix but have to admit the pic doesn't do them justice. You really ned to see them in the flesh, so to speak. I'd love to have a couple as pets, but then again I'd also love to have a couple of Quokkas as well. Have some karma champ
Old Mar 26th 2005, 12:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Quokkas, kookaburras and motorbike frogs!
We loved Rottnest Island... when we first got there we competed to spot the quokkas and by the end my daughter had lost count; certain areas are full of them. My toddler took a shine to a Quokka and took a hair sample, much to my horror and embarrassment; once we'd realised how tame they were he was kept at a distance.
I love listening to the kookaburras in the country and my kids know it's time for bed when they start laughing.
Motorbike frogs are amazing as they sound just like motorbikes in the distance.
Old Mar 26th 2005, 2:24 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Larissa
Quokkas, kookaburras and motorbike frogs!
We loved Rottnest Island... when we first got there we competed to spot the quokkas and by the end my daughter had lost count; certain areas are full of them. My toddler took a shine to a Quokka and took a hair sample, much to my horror and embarrassment; once we'd realised how tame they were he was kept at a distance.
I love listening to the kookaburras in the country and my kids know it's time for bed when they start laughing.
Motorbike frogs are amazing as they sound just like motorbikes in the distance.
Quokkas are delightful little things

As for motorbike frogs, never heard of them but as a young teenager when the Brit bikes were disappearing from our sight and Jappers taking over, we used to make sounds similar to: Ying ying ying yang yang yang for gear changes and acceleration/de-acceleration. Was fun LOL
Old Mar 26th 2005, 2:28 am

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Mine's dolphins.

Cas
The Wombat why isn't he on your list

and in second place the Platypus

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.