Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Faster Dialup..!!!

Faster Dialup..!!!

Old Sep 7th 2004, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

itsasecret is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Faster Dialup..!!!

Now then, wanted to put something passed any techy guys..

This website www.onspeed.com has come my way and it says you can get dialup 5 x faster than normal speeds . It claims to be able to use a 9 bit compression technology (IN SOFTWARE) to allow you faster dialup??

anyone got any experience of this website/ software,, It sounds great!! and it has awards too.

It would help loads and loads of us in OZ if it is available to Australia (dont see why not.)
Old Sep 7th 2004, 1:29 pm
A Bored of waiting member

stephenwhite68 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Faster Dialup..!!!

Originally Posted by itsasecret

This website www.onspeed.com has come my way and it says you can get dialup 5 x faster than normal speeds . It claims to be able to use a 9 bit compression technology (IN SOFTWARE) to allow you faster dialup??

anyone got any experience of this website/ software,, It sounds great!! and it has awards too.

It would help loads and loads of us in OZ if it is available to Australia (dont see why not.)
seems quite good, ive just had a shout around the office (software developers) if anybody has any bad Karma about this and so far Nothing (which is good )
if it does what it says on the tin then it should be worth it, im going to give it a try on our (non broadband) line at home for a year and see if it is any good, then if it is i will install when we get to Oz

S
Old Sep 7th 2004, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by stephenwhite68
seems quite good, ive just had a shout around the office (software developers) if anybody has any bad Karma about this and so far Nothing (which is good )
if it does what it says on the tin then it should be worth it, im going to give it a try on our (non broadband) line at home for a year and see if it is any good, then if it is i will install when we get to Oz

S
Great stuff, keep us informed along the way..
Cheers.
Mal.
Old Sep 7th 2004, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

sharkin is an unknown quantity at this point

I've tried it on a mac and it wasn't all that actually. Took it off pretty much straight away. It affected other software. Though did get money back etc no problem. I think maybe the Mac version is still a little undeveloped
Old Sep 7th 2004, 1:52 pm
A Bored of waiting member

stephenwhite68 will become famous soon enough

Great stuff, keep us informed along the way..
Cheers.
Mal.
After a 10min chat between the office there where a few questions raised concerning what this actually does and wether it lets you surf the internet quickly or just view certain pages quickly
ie- it looks like it keeps a cache of certain pages which it can find quickly but if you search for something off the norm then it will drop back down to its normal speed (not good)
im gonna install it on the PC at home and i will monitor it ...
Old Sep 7th 2004, 2:04 pm
Just Joined

Blossy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by stephenwhite68
After a 10min chat between the office there where a few questions raised concerning what this actually does and wether it lets you surf the internet quickly or just view certain pages quickly
ie- it looks like it keeps a cache of certain pages which it can find quickly but if you search for something off the norm then it will drop back down to its normal speed (not good)
im gonna install it on the PC at home and i will monitor it ...
hmm, very sceptical, thought you couldn't get more than 56kb over a pair of copper wires
Old Sep 7th 2004, 2:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Blossy
hmm, very sceptical, thought you couldn't get more than 56kb over a pair of copper wires
no this is not true im afraid. I think you can have upto 8Mb , depending on what technology used... DSL (ADSL, SDSL) you can even have Gigabit Ethernet over copper UTP.

But this website software doesnt increase bandwidth,, lets not get confused, it seems to compress data.

Last edited by itsasecret; Sep 7th 2004 at 2:32 pm.
Old Sep 7th 2004, 2:48 pm
Just Joined

Blossy is an unknown quantity at this point

The max speed for dial-up is based on the modem. Most people have a 56k modem though, which is the fastest modem for dial-up. Many factors depend the fastest speed, but the absolute fastest speed possible for 56k modem is 53Kb or also around 6.6KB/second. Upload speed is capped at 33.6Kb or also 4.2KB/second. These are under best conditions, which most people won't get.
Old Sep 7th 2004, 3:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Blossy
The max speed for dial-up is based on the modem. Most people have a 56k modem though, which is the fastest modem for dial-up. Many factors depend the fastest speed, but the absolute fastest speed possible for 56k modem is 53Kb or also around 6.6KB/second. Upload speed is capped at 33.6Kb or also 4.2KB/second. These are under best conditions, which most people won't get.
Good point, and i must admit its got me thinking..

However if you subscribe to service/software that allows you to view downloaded pages that are 5 times smaller in size than normal then effectively you are able to view it 5 times quicker..?

Again, i dont think this software has anything to do with Bandwidth..

maybe it uses compression and caching to get the desired speed.
Old Sep 7th 2004, 6:16 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Go broadband.... shit loads better