Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

family Areas Sydney

family Areas Sydney

Old Jan 7th 2004, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

jasonK944 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default family Areas Sydney

Does anybody know what areas are particularly good for young (primary school age kids) in Sydney? We want to move to an area where kids will be around.

Thanks
Old Jan 7th 2004, 9:58 am
Forum Regular

jasonK944 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Previous post

OOps sorry folks, I forgot that I had previously asked this question.
Old Jan 7th 2004, 6:58 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

RichS lives in Maroubra and has kids and there in NickyC in Coogee who I think has some sprogs as well. Hopefully with back up the top one of them will see the thread.
Old Jan 8th 2004, 2:21 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bondipom
RichS lives in Maroubra and has kids and there in NickyC in Coogee who I think has some sprogs as well. Hopefully with back up the top one of them will see the thread.
Indeed I do have kids - 2 boys but they're both in High School now. Honestly, there would be very few suburbs that DON'T have kids - though I can't imagine that there are that many around Darlinghurst or Kings Cross. I'd also think that the newly developed areas to the west and south-west would have a higher percentage of kids than anywhere else, simply because the housing is cheaper hence more young families.

If you're looking for the sort of suburb where all the kids congregate together outside and play locally, then the Eastern Suburbs probably isn't what you're looking for. To get kids together around here, you really have to have their friends over or vice versa or take them to some organised activity (of which there are many). I would never let my kids 'out to play' in the streets around here - unlike when I was a kid back home.

You may find that in some outer suburbs you can just send them off and they're quite safe, but I don't know any parent around here that would do it!

Having said that, the eastern suburbs has zillions of organised activities for kids. Apart from every kind of sport, there is no shortage of child care, holiday care, after-school care, special 'camps' for various activities during the holidays, kid's classes (cooking, acting, music, dancing, riding etc), Nippers (junior lifesaving), surf schools etc ... the list goes on and on. Almost every possible hobby is catered for.

Of course, other areas of the city have that stuff too - but the further out you go, the less you'll find.
Old Jan 8th 2004, 2:36 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by nickyc
Indeed I do have kids - 2 boys but they're both in High School now. Honestly, there would be very few suburbs that DON'T have kids - though I can't imagine that there are that many around Darlinghurst or Kings Cross. I'd also think that the newly developed areas to the west and south-west would have a higher percentage of kids than anywhere else, simply because the housing is cheaper hence more young families.

If you're looking for the sort of suburb where all the kids congregate together outside and play locally, then the Eastern Suburbs probably isn't what you're looking for. To get kids together around here, you really have to have their friends over or vice versa or take them to some organised activity (of which there are many). I would never let my kids 'out to play' in the streets around here - unlike when I was a kid back home.

You may find that in some outer suburbs you can just send them off and they're quite safe, but I don't know any parent around here that would do it!

Having said that, the eastern suburbs has zillions of organised activities for kids. Apart from every kind of sport, there is no shortage of child care, holiday care, after-school care, special 'camps' for various activities during the holidays, kid's classes (cooking, acting, music, dancing, riding etc), Nippers (junior lifesaving), surf schools etc ... the list goes on and on. Almost every possible hobby is catered for.

Of course, other areas of the city have that stuff too - but the further out you go, the less you'll find.
What are the local schools like Nicky?
Old Jan 8th 2004, 2:55 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bondipom
What are the local schools like Nicky?
Hmmm. Hoped no-one would ask that.

Mine have always gone to private schools. The difference between the local state primary and the Anglican primary they actually went to was noticable (to put it mildly). However, I know a lot of people who were happy with their children's primary education at the state schools.

High schools are different. I barely know anyone that goes to a State High School. There aren't very many (Bob Carr closed two more of them a couple years ago) because most parents send their kids to private schools. If you can get your child into a selective State High school then you're laughing, but if not you're reduced to:

1.Randwick High (where a gang of boys rampaged thru Beverly Hills with cleavers because they had a disagreement over something!)
2.Rose Bay College (old Dover Heights and Vaucluse schools merged together)
3.South Sydney (Pagewood/Maroubra).
4.Matraville High (long way south and quite small)

Fifteen years ago there was North Randwick High, Maroubra Bay High and Maroubra Junction High as well. All closed now.

On the other hand, the place is teeming with private schools, both Catholic and non-Catholic so there's no shortage of schools - just free ones!
Old Jan 8th 2004, 5:07 am
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough

I reckon the East is best for nippers. Mine are 4 and 2 and they have a ball. There's more stuff for you to take your kids to than you could shake a stick at, though one thing I do note is that if you get a day when it really lashes down there's not so many nipper options available - I usually head for the Powerhouse or Maritime museums or stuff like that on those days.

I wouldn't let my kids play on their own here or anywhere else for that matter (except maybe Singapore).

As far as schools go - state school up til 11 then private is the way I've been told to go. I'm about to embark on that journey for my eldest. We've seen 3 schools, 2 of which look really very good.

My kids have swimming lessons every week, they'll be going to nippers next year, the eldest (4) plays rugby league during the winter months. There's also tennis available for 4's and up.

I guess I'm baised, but the close proximity of sea and city makes the East a winner for me. If I were forced to move I'd probably head for Sutherland.
Old Jan 8th 2004, 12:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

dracupg is an unknown quantity at this point

I would recommend you take a look at the Northern Surburbs (St Ives, Gordon, Pymble, Lindfied, Killara). We have a 3 year old son. We looked in the Eastern Suburbs, but found it too built up and too expensive. Depends what you are used to though. We wanted leafy a suburb in a decent block size (940sqm), but also near a train line for an easy commute into the CBD.

We have been staying in West Pymble for about a year, and are moving, but staying in the general area to St Ives. Great for kids. Loads of pools, parks. The Northern Beaches are about 30 minutes drive away, the local schools are good, and the neighbours are great.

Sydney, like most places, comes down to what you can afford. If you know what your budget is and what sort of accommodation you expect for the price, you stand a good chance of narrowing down an area. If you are willing to supply more detail, I am sure people could give you a better idea of what area to go for.

Sandra, one of the regular posters here has a couple of teenagers in the Northern Suburbs in local schools maybe she could comment?
Old Jan 15th 2004, 11:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Banksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really nice

Originally posted by RichS

I wouldn't let my kids play on their own here or anywhere else for that matter (except maybe Singapore).
I grew up in the Eastern suburbs and used to catch a toastrack tram home from school. My own children caught red rattlers home from school. No one mentioned safety.

The obsession with safety these days leaves me bemused.

Are parents concerned about road safety. Possibly understandable. But what are the other realistic threats. Please explain.

Kids play cricket in the street in my part of the world just like the olden days.

No worries. Have the shock jocks got to everyone?