Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

FAMILY OF 5, MOVING TO BRISBANE... HOW MUCH DO I NEED TO EARN??

FAMILY OF 5, MOVING TO BRISBANE... HOW MUCH DO I NEED TO EARN??

Old Jul 4th 2011, 11:51 am
Just Joined

thearthurs is an unknown quantity at this point
Question FAMILY OF 5, MOVING TO BRISBANE... HOW MUCH DO I NEED TO EARN??

Hi, i'm a newby to this forum, just recently decided to fulfil our dream and emigrate to Oz. I'm a gas plant operator and currently earn around £40,000. We have three young children and have a decent standard of living over here. What kind of salary am i looking at getting for the equivelant job in Brisbane (eg. Oil terminal operator), and will this single income support a good standard of living there??
Old Jul 4th 2011, 11:59 am
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: FAMILY OF 5, MOVING TO BRISBANE... HOW MUCH DO I NEED TO EARN??

Based on my experiences since arriving in Brisbane 4 months ago, a family of 5 would need at least 120k to experience a good lifestyle, ie. still have holidays, meals out etc.

Any plans on saving for the future then you need more.

Somebody will arrive and say you can "get by" or "survive" on 80k, but honestly what is the point?
Old Jul 4th 2011, 12:10 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: FAMILY OF 5, MOVING TO BRISBANE... HOW MUCH DO I NEED TO EARN??

Thanks bingobob777, thats my thoughts exactly, what is the point?? We want to do it for a better life for us, mainly our children. But if we're only going to be able to make ends meat, then it really isn't worth all the effort. Not sure what the salary would be for my line of work out there though. but i guess i'll have to start another thread for that one, cheers.
Old Jul 4th 2011, 2:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Keep in mind if you are on a PR visa, your wife stays at home, 3 kids and your youngest is under five you would get over $10,000 in family tax benefit.

Last edited by fish.01; Jul 4th 2011 at 2:21 pm.
Old Jul 4th 2011, 4:19 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: FAMILY OF 5, MOVING TO BRISBANE... HOW MUCH DO I NEED TO EARN??

Thanks Fish.01, i'll keep that in mind, thanks for the advice.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 3:26 am
Forum Regular

JAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really nice

Originally Posted by thearthurs
Not sure what the salary would be for my line of work out there though. but i guess i'll have to start another thread for that one, cheers.
seek.com.au is a good place to look for job/salaries etc, or
careerone.com.au
Old Jul 5th 2011, 5:15 am
Forum Regular

Icecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by fish.01
Keep in mind if you are on a PR visa, your wife stays at home, 3 kids and your youngest is under five you would get over $10,000 in family tax benefit.
...and maybe LAFHA too
Old Jul 5th 2011, 7:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Icecube
...and maybe LAFHA too
Yes, sadly only one or the other, not both. Family Tax if on PR visa, maybe LAFHA if on 457 temp visa.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 10:18 pm
Living our life wherever

Location: came back to oz after moving back to uk but not settled here so uk here i come, last time im moving
Trevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of light

not if you are earning $120k
I have just checked and with a income of $120k and three children around 4 or 5 you would get $70 per week as you earn to much , the amount will change a bit with more information but its just a example
Your Results

Hide - Your estimate - as a table

Your estimate

Fortnightly estimate Family Tax Benefit Part A
$0.00
Family Tax Benefit Part B
$140.00
Rent Assistance
$0.00
Estimated Family Assistance payment
$140.00

View - Additional information

Hide - Details you entered

Details you entered

Personal details

Personal details
Partnered Yes Accommodation type Rent Amount paid per week $100 Customer or partner receiving Income Support Payment No > Change Personal details

Child details

Number of children
Your and your partner's dependent children 3 Your other dependent children 0 Your partner's other dependent children 0 > Change Child details

Family details
Multiple births No Children in child care No > Change Child details

Your and your partner's child "Child 1"
Date of birth 26 August 2007 Your and your partner's child "Child 2"
Date of birth 15 March 2006 Your and your partner's child "Child 3"
Date of birth 15 March 2006 > Change Child details

Family Income Estimate details

Family Income Estimate details You Your partner Taxable Income $120000 $0 Reportable fringe benefits $0 $0 Reportable superannuation contributions $0 $0 Total net investment losses $0 $0 Tax free pensions and benefits $0 $0 Foreign income $0 $0 Tax Exempt Foreign income $0 $0 Child support paid $0 $0 > Change Family Income Estimate details

Last edited by Trevski; Jul 5th 2011 at 10:28 pm.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 10:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

macy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Trevski
Factor in costs of doctors, prescriptions, dental, and $120k doesn't go as far as you think, you won't starve but you won't live a life of luxury unless you are mortgage free....
Old Jul 5th 2011, 10:42 pm
Living our life wherever

Location: came back to oz after moving back to uk but not settled here so uk here i come, last time im moving
Trevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by macy
Factor in costs of doctors, prescriptions, dental, and $120k doesn't go as far as you think, you won't starve but you won't live a life of luxury unless you are mortgage free....
Espically with interest rates going up, the average loan is approx 6.9% interest, a lot higher than uk.
Rates have just gone up with water aswell approx combined $2200 a year
car rego has sky rocked, approx $650 a year for a small rio ontop of that you will pay for insurance
food is ridiculous price $14 per kilo for bananas
well at least the sun is shinning most days here
Old Jul 6th 2011, 3:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Trevski
I have just checked and with a income of $120k and three children around 4 or 5 you would get $70 per week as you earn to much ,....
Yes, let me clarify my post. It was suggested in the post prior that he would need $120,000 to have a comparable lifestyle. I was letting him know that the money doesn't all need to come from his own salary...ie he could earn $110,000 and get $10,000 in family tax to bring it to $120,000. If he earns the full $120,000 himself in salary then all well and good.

Last edited by fish.01; Jul 6th 2011 at 3:31 am.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 7:10 am
Forum Regular

Brisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to behold

The coal seam gas industry here is just taking off. Do some research on it, you could get in at the beginning and do well.

Just a thought. I work for an energy company and the place is swarming with Yanks as there's noone in the country with the knowledge of the industry. So they've poached them all from Conoco Phillips and Santos. If you have any knowledge of pumping water inthe ground to get gas out, fraccing, geology etc you could be on a winner.

Agreed $120k sounds a lot but it doesn't go far here. Bananas are $4 each (so eat apples) Some things are expensive, so choose the cheaper stuff.