Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Falling NZ Dollar

Falling NZ Dollar

Old Aug 20th 2003, 8:42 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Roger
Thanks for the advice folks. Agree in 2000 I would have had only 50K and in 96 a negative 19K on the housing market. Will no doubt start grinning when the house completes.

Smithone's idea is quite novel - not sure I've the guts though. Any tax implications? Also on the short term if we hate it and plan to move back (yuk) will not have lost anything! Complicated or what.
Roger
I wouldn't recommend this idea, no matter how novel.

Each time you move money you incur transaction costs, either commissions or the built in margins the bank/money changers use to make their profits.

Smithone's strategy has another flaw. If you move the money back to Uk, the rate may not move back in your favour, it could go the other way. Imagine if you will, if Blair and Brown decide to go into the Euro. Most pundits think they would want a still lower pound before then.
By moving money back and forwards you expose yourself to additional risk. Most of us are unhappy about trying to get the timing right on one cross currency movement, let alone 2 or 3.

Thats my 5.4c worth (2p)
Old Aug 20th 2003, 6:08 pm
Forum Regular

friertuck is an unknown quantity at this point

I got a small amount of holi money today and the rate was only $2.55 to the £
Old Aug 20th 2003, 8:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

TIZUS is an unknown quantity at this point

So how do we get the best exchange rate? I check the rat on Reuters website but again when I recently transfered a small anount from the Uk the rate was lower than this. I know the bank makes cgarges for this servise but the atual exchange rate was lower, just wondered what suggestions people had?

Cheers Tori
Old Aug 20th 2003, 11:43 pm
Forum Regular

smithone is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by southerner
I wouldn't recommend this idea, no matter how novel.

Each time you move money you incur transaction costs, either commissions or the built in margins the bank/money changers use to make their profits.

Smithone's strategy has another flaw. If you move the money back to Uk, the rate may not move back in your favour, it could go the other way. Imagine if you will, if Blair and Brown decide to go into the Euro. Most pundits think they would want a still lower pound before then.
By moving money back and forwards you expose yourself to additional risk. Most of us are unhappy about trying to get the timing right on one cross currency movement, let alone 2 or 3.

Thats my 5.4c worth (2p)
Moving money backwards and forewards is not for the feight hearted and carries with it an element of risk. I've not done it myself but have been tempted over the last year as the rate has jumped about.

The commission side of things is minimal the big risk is that you move your money back to the UK and the rate stays the same and you need to get it back to NZ. There is an opportunity to make reasonable sums of cash if you ballsy enough to play the market. I've just bought a house so my cash is tied up so I'm not tempted anymore.
Old Aug 21st 2003, 6:37 am
Forum Regular

Ben.M is an unknown quantity at this point

Apparently their are a couple of sets of figures being released next week that *might* impact the exchage rate -

On Wednesday 28th the NZ Trade Balance Figures are due out & on Thursday 29th the NZ Purchasing Price Index is being released.

Let's hope it impacts it in the right direction!

Ben
Old Aug 26th 2003, 9:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Looks like it might be doing just that

Monday $2.71/£1
Tues $2.72/£1
Today $2.73!!!

Back to $3.00 would be really good!!

Tori
Old Aug 26th 2003, 9:51 pm
Forum Regular

I spoke to Halewood this morning and they said that the fact it had not dropped below 2.70 was a good sign and they expect that it should get back up to 2.75 in the next few weeks. They weren't confident that it would good much beyond that.

I must stress that this is merely speculation and there is no way of knowing what is going to happen. You must do your own research...

Ben
Old Aug 26th 2003, 9:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gra.B is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by TIZUS
Hi Tori, been to any auctions yet?
Old Aug 26th 2003, 10:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi Gra

We are off to a couple tonight!! Watch ashow on Tv last night, Typical property show "lets do a place up and see how much a mug will pay for it coz we painted it!" - You know the kind! thet auctioned the place at the end in the back garden .....seemed a very laid back affair with the auctioneer cracking jokes! Not really what I was expecting.

Will keep you posted!

The weather is awful here at the mo hasn't stopped raining for three days! and now I don't want to know how warm it is over there thanks!!

Tori
Old Aug 26th 2003, 10:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gra.B is an unknown quantity at this point

let us know how it goes, sounds like good fun!

hey, does hubby know that Pompey are top of the premiership?? That should cheer him up.......not!

Cheers, Gra...
Old Aug 26th 2003, 11:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

He hates football !!!

but as he comes from Portsmouth I'm sure he will take great pleasure in ribbing me about it....

Cheers Tori
Old Aug 27th 2003, 8:38 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Ben.M
I spoke to Halewood this morning and they said that the fact it had not dropped below 2.70 was a good sign and they expect that it should get back up to 2.75 in the next few weeks. They weren't confident that it would good much beyond that.

I must stress that this is merely speculation and there is no way of knowing what is going to happen. You must do your own research...

Ben
I have advice from another dealer that it might go the other way over the next few weeks (back towards 2.70 or .37 depending on which way it is quoted). So I am tending towards exchanging as soon as I have the funds ready (please let it be within 2 weeks), especially if the rate stays like it is.

Fingers crossed of course!!
Old Aug 27th 2003, 10:52 am
Forum Regular

Looking good today at a high of 2.7580. Let's hope the upward trend continues...

Ben
Old Aug 27th 2003, 10:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ok In danger of sounding dumb but.... Can anyone explain the benifts in using a foriegn exchange company obviously you should get a better exchange rate, but what are the risks involved? How do they make their money? Has anyone any first hand experience of using a company? I have been looking at Halewoods?

Please excuse my ignorance never had to deal with anything much more than a few pounds pocket money before!!

Tori
Old Aug 28th 2003, 12:03 am
BE Enthusiast

just checked exchange rates again ....

now 2.77 or .36 depending which way you look at it!

Could we reach the dizzy heights of 3:1 again????

heres hoping
Tori

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.