Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Failed Medical!!!!

Failed Medical!!!!

Old Nov 30th 2004, 10:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

honeybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant future
Default Failed Medical!!!!

has anyone else experienced this?

i'm fit and healthy, don't smoke, drink recommended units per week - 60!
BMI good, happy, healthy, bob's your uncle!

had our medicals on 22nd of october, everything went fine, the lovely doc said he would let us know if there were any probs with blood results, reportings on chest xrays and so on!!! didn't hear from him, buggered off to london to celebrate for the weekend, and drank 120 units me thinks!!!

letter back from DIMIA, bright yellow, stating that i had failed my medical, would i have it redone, and hand in bright yellow envelope addressed to GP unopened, or i would combust spontaneously and hence never set foot again in Oz!

i was absolutely frantic, as was husband! GP also looked a bit frazzled, he opened envelope which simply stated that he hadn't took bloods for Hep B and C!!!! because i am a nurse, it is now compulsary for all doctors, dentists and nurses to have this done if they are applying for permanent visas!!!!!

GP told me it used to be only necessary for temporary visa applicants, but apparently DIMIA have changed that to permanent visas too!!!! just wanted to let any one else know in case they experience this too!!! felt really crap for a bit, wondering what was wrong with me, it was a simple blood test, i hadn't failed the medical!

bob
Old Nov 30th 2004, 10:35 pm
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Failed Medical!!!!

Originally Posted by honeybob
has anyone else experienced this?

i'm fit and healthy, don't smoke, drink recommended units per week - 60!
BMI good, happy, healthy, bob's your uncle!

had our medicals on 22nd of october, everything went fine, the lovely doc said he would let us know if there were any probs with blood results, reportings on chest xrays and so on!!! didn't hear from him, buggered off to london to celebrate for the weekend, and drank 120 units me thinks!!!

letter back from DIMIA, bright yellow, stating that i had failed my medical, would i have it redone, and hand in bright yellow envelope addressed to GP unopened, or i would combust spontaneously and hence never set foot again in Oz!

i was absolutely frantic, as was husband! GP also looked a bit frazzled, he opened envelope which simply stated that he hadn't took bloods for Hep B and C!!!! because i am a nurse, it is now compulsary for all doctors, dentists and nurses to have this done if they are applying for permanent visas!!!!!

GP told me it used to be only necessary for temporary visa applicants, but apparently DIMIA have changed that to permanent visas too!!!! just wanted to let any one else know in case they experience this too!!! felt really crap for a bit, wondering what was wrong with me, it was a simple blood test, i hadn't failed the medical!

bob
Hi honey, glad to see you back! Sorry to hear about the meds - I'm having to have part of mine redone - bloods and CxR - don't know why though, they are all clear!!!
have flight booked 10th of Jan (as has Tony), so they better bloody hurry up
Cas XX
Old Nov 30th 2004, 10:38 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

bob

Good job you don't need the blood pressure taken again then. T'would be sky high
Old Nov 30th 2004, 10:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

honeybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by carolinegorka
Hi honey, glad to see you back! Sorry to hear about the meds - I'm having to have part of mine redone - bloods and CxR - don't know why though, they are all clear!!!
have flight booked 10th of Jan (as has Tony), so they better bloody hurry up
Cas XX
Hi Cas! good to hear from you...

Like i said it was one blood test and the letter i received from DIMIA was so awful, like i'd failed the whole medical when i hadn't!!!

anyway, hopefully it's sorted now!!

and you, so chuffed for you, fab news mate, absolutely brilliant!

what did your doc say about your chest xray, ie. the reason you have to have it again, and as for your bloods did he do Hep B and C?

Bob xx
Old Nov 30th 2004, 10:46 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Honey,

Just to reiterate what I said in the PM that I'm so glad you got it sorted.

I'd like to add that I suspect that DIMIA use chimps to check the medicals, as they clearly haven't got a clue when it comes to dealing with nurses.
Old Nov 30th 2004, 10:47 pm
Account Closed

Hi Cas! good to hear from you...

Like i said it was one blood test and the letter i received from DIMIA was so awful, like i'd failed the whole medical when i hadn't!!!

anyway, hopefully it's sorted now!!

and you, so chuffed for you, fab news mate, absolutely brilliant!

what did your doc say about your chest xray, ie. the reason you have to have it again, and as for your bloods did he do Hep B and C?

Bob xx
Did Hep B & C.
CxR was clear, so don't know why they want it repeating. Bloods are ok too.
God know why they are being so awkward - costing me another £100+ too with courier.
It is good isn't it !!
Cas xx
Old Nov 30th 2004, 10:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Good job you don't need the blood pressure taken again then. T'would be sky high
Penny, hello there dancing cat! Yes, BP was probably sky high, as was the overdraft, when kind Doc asked for £500!!!

Best of it was, friends will not let me forget, never had a medical before, not knowing what to expect, i wore a g string/thong (whatever they're called) thinking well, you know, VPL and all that! He'll never see my knickers anyway!

It wasn't until he asked me to touch my toes, wearing ONLY aforementioned underwear, so he could examine the curvature of my spine that i died inside! Oh, how we laughed, not!

Live and learn!

bob xx
Old Nov 30th 2004, 11:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi Cas, can't understand the CxRay request considering that it had already been reported on previously, so hope you're not worrying too much! It can't be anything on your part...

like you say the pennies all roll into pounds and i find myself at work thinking, oh well, that shift from hell will have covered the bloods and DHL costs!

bob xx
Old Nov 30th 2004, 11:25 pm
Account Closed

Hi Cas, can't understand the CxRay request considering that it had already been reported on previously, so hope you're not worrying too much! It can't be anything on your part...

like you say the pennies all roll into pounds and i find myself at work thinking, oh well, that shift from hell will have covered the bloods and DHL costs!

bob xx
Problem is that I finished work ages ago - money is dwindling away
Cas xx
Old Nov 30th 2004, 11:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by carolinegorka
Problem is that I finished work ages ago - money is dwindling away
Cas xx
Oh mate!!

bob xx
Old Dec 1st 2004, 8:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

primrose will become famous soon enoughprimrose will become famous soon enough

Wondered what had happened to you Honeybob,

Tried emailing you via the austimeline site (but it bounced) to ask how you were getting on, we applied at similar times.

Sorry to hear about your medicals, we also had to send extra info to Sydney.

Did you see this nurses timeline?
http://www.austimeline.com/austime/a...pp.jsp?id=1901
that was quick!!!!
Old Dec 1st 2004, 8:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by primrose

Tried emailing you via the austimeline site (but it bounced) to ask how you were getting on, we applied at similar times.

that was quick!!!!
hi there primrose, hope you are okay...

hopefully medicals are sorted now!

and as for austimeline, i'm having probs getting in at the moment, will try again!!!

nice to speak with you,

bob x
Old Dec 2nd 2004, 9:27 pm

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by primrose

that was quick!!!!
Gosh that was very quick!!! Is that happening a lot just now? Think I might frontload afterall (have been hearing conflicting info)

Thanks for that Primrose - that always cheers me up!

Lynn