Extended Trip.

Old Aug 3rd 2006, 8:13 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Extended Trip.

We have some flights booked to Brisbane in November.

We are thinking of extending the trip until February which means that we will spend the UK winter in Australia.

I will spend some of the time with my son in Brisbane but do not want to spend too long with him.....I am sure most of you would just love to have your family turn up for 3 or 4 months

We plan to tour the northern NSW coast and Queensland. Both to check out somewhere to live and maybe find a job

Has anyone done this and how practical is this during the summer?

I do not want to plan stops too far in advance but am aware that it will be them school holidays. Will this create difficulties?

No doubt we will spend Xmas in Brisbane but have an open mind about the rest.

G
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 8:20 am
Account Closed

Deer Hunter is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Extended Trip.

Originally Posted by Grayling

We plan to tour the northern NSW coast and Queensland. Both to check out somewhere to live and maybe find a job

Not very practical I'm afraid. Not much gets done over summer holidays so you may have trouble finding work during that time. Also if you don't have a visa then people aren't really willing to touch you.
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 8:23 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deer Hunter
Not very practical I'm afraid. Not much gets done over summer holidays so you may have trouble finding work during that time. Also if you don't have a visa then people aren't really willing to touch you.
I have got a visa.

I do not want the job for while I am there but for when We return later in the year.

I was maybe not too clear about that. I am more interested in the practicalities of travelling around during the Australian school holidays.

G
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 8:25 am
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

We have some flights booked to Brisbane in November.

We are thinking of extending the trip until February which means that we will spend the UK winter in Australia.

I will spend some of the time with my son in Brisbane but do not want to spend too long with him.....I am sure most of you would just love to have your family turn up for 3 or 4 months

I do not want to plan stops too far in advance but am aware that it will be them school holidays. Will this create difficulties?

No doubt we will spend Xmas in Brisbane but have an open mind about the rest.

G
If you are on the Sunshine coast after October and you fancy a beer then give me a shout.
I'd really like to see if you are as grumpy in real life as what you are on here (sometimes)
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 8:26 am
Account Closed

Deer Hunter is an unknown quantity at this point

I have got a visa.

I do not want the job for while I am there but for when We return later in the year.

I was maybe not too clear about that. I am more interested in the practicalities of travelling around during the Australian school holidays.

G
I understand you're not looking to start work on your holiday. It would be difficult to find work for when you do arrive nonetheless. As for the practicalities of travelling during the holidays it will probably be more expensive and quite busy. But if you book ahead you'll be fine. And bargain for your accom, always bargain.
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 8:29 am
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by kevinbloomfield
If you are on the Sunshine coast after October and you fancy a beer then give me a shout.
I'd really like to see if you are as grumpy in real life as what you are on here (sometimes)
Thank you Kevin...I will bear that in mind.

You may be surprised if you meet me

I am thinking of having a close look at the sunshine coast. When I first went to Noosa 5 years ago you could buy a nice house for $180000

It is a bit different now.

G
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 8:31 am
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by Deer Hunter
I understand you're not looking to start work on your holiday. It would be difficult to find work for when you do arrive nonetheless. As for the practicalities of travelling during the holidays it will probably be more expensive and quite busy. But if you book ahead you'll be fine. And bargain for your accom, always bargain.
Thanks.

I have toured there before but out of season and it was pretty easy.

As for work...I will go back to my original calling of MH nurse so I think there is plenty around. The alternative is simply to retire (I have done here) but I do not really feel ready.

G
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 8:36 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

You'd probably be hard pressed to find accommodation on the Sunny or Gold Coasts unless you do it now. We arrived in November and although we were looking for house rentals we found that stacks of Victoria and South NSW flock up here for the whole period and grab anything available.

I certainly wouldn't leave it any later than the next week or so. Wasn't aware of driving being any worse than now, but don't know about internal flights.
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 8:38 am
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by moneypen20
You'd probably be hard pressed to find accommodation on the Sunny or Gold Coasts unless you do it now. We arrived in November and although we were looking for house rentals we found that stacks of Victoria and South NSW flock up here for the whole period and grab anything available.
I thought that may be the case

Do you know the dates of the main holidays?

G
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 9:18 am
An Australian Citizen !!

Jimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to behold

G
Hello G

Something at the back of my mind says 21/22 December through to about 28 Jan or thereabouts - 5 weeks anyway!

If you get down this far on your travels give us a buzz and we can perhaps meet up but not before 7 Jan when our daughter and grandson head back to UK.

Regards

Jim
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 9:27 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

G
Public schools break up on the 16th December and go back on about 23rd ish (haven't got that calender to hand ) in QLD. In NSW its 22nd December start.

The private schools are a little bit earlier I think.
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 9:44 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Public schools break up on the 16th December and go back on about 23rd ish (haven't got that calender to hand ) in QLD. In NSW its 22nd December start.

The private schools are a little bit earlier I think.
You gave me a fright there, they go back in Queensland on the 29th. Holidays are starting and finishing later this year for some reason.

Grayling, driving up or down the coast is a nightmare on weekends during the school holidays. Try and do any longer distance travelling midweek.

Jane
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

Jarvl will become famous soon enoughJarvl will become famous soon enough

G
We live on the sunshine coast, year 10 break up from school on the 1st December, younger ages on 15th December - both until 29th January (private schools break up last week in November and go back first week in February).
Hope that helps....
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 11:20 am
Bitter and twisted

Thanks for all the replies

I have been in November before and found accomodation quite easy to find. However I have never been during the school holidays and was not sure of the dates.

This should not cause too much hassle as we will spend a fair bit of time with our son (but would not want to overstay our welcome ).

Not even sure if we will do this yet as much of it depends on the timing of my wife's retirement.

it may even be a more permanent move if we are able to tie things up first

It would be good to meet up with one or two people but, as yet, we have no firm plans so could not arrange anything at the moment.

G
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 11:40 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the replies

I have been in November before and found accomodation quite easy to find. However I have never been during the school holidays and was not sure of the dates.

This should not cause too much hassle as we will spend a fair bit of time with our son (but would not want to overstay our welcome ).

Not even sure if we will do this yet as much of it depends on the timing of my wife's retirement.

it may even be a more permanent move if we are able to tie things up first

It would be good to meet up with one or two people but, as yet, we have no firm plans so could not arrange anything at the moment.

G
Werent you going to Adelaide???

Your son there or has he moved???

Just being nosey

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.