expensive

Old Mar 1st 2008, 7:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: expensive

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
This is without a doubt the number one reason for us staying here.

Australia is the best place I have ever lived for bringing up kids. Beats the UK hands down.

One of the biggest factors for us to stay put for a while (would not say perm) was the one thing that was the biggest shock of all - the Education System.

Admittedly after several years we felt they were so far removed/behind the UK system that it might be impossible for them, but we also came to see that with such a easy/relaxed/casual system they could fly through school getting nothing but A's with little or no effort.

That sounds horrendous education wise, but think about it, and be brutally honest, if as a adult you had a job that paid $200,000 a year for little or no effort would you enjoy it, or want to give it up.

Putting them back into the UK system would be a total nightmare for them compared to this social network with a bit of work thrown in now and again.
Old Mar 1st 2008, 8:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Back to the aus is expensive theme.

Take a look at this, its a link to property about 150klm inland. Aussie mates who have been living on the coast and have no hope of buying here are moving out to rent for 6 months then to buy. Easy striking distance of a day at the beach or city.

http://www.nanango.com.au/

For those wanting space, fresh air, upcoming town, hands on type work or bit of get up and go create your own work, maybe worth a punt. Still plenty of affordable housing once you get out the clogged up cities and posh beach burbs.
Old Mar 1st 2008, 9:11 pm
NO, we're GOING there....

gorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nice

Originally Posted by verystormy
I cant believe how much some people are spending on food! We are a couple with no kids, but we spend about £40 per week on food maximum. A lot less if we have to. Though we never use supermarkets or by anything pre made and buy what is in season. My OH cooks during the week and on a weekend i will have a big cooking session (which i love) making stocks and soups and things for the week ahead.
I also think that those lucky enough to be in Oz dont appreciate how expensive the UK is. The reality is the housing is a LOT more expensive, fuel is a lot more and things like restraunts are very expensive here. For example we dont have many really nice restraunts in the city, but a average chain type place isnt going to leave much change from £100 for two without wine. Having been looking at restraunts on line in Sydney, that is a lot more for a lot les quality
Where in the UK are you? £100 without wine in chain restaurant?? No way....which chain?
Old Mar 1st 2008, 10:04 pm

gorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nice

Originally Posted by Janna and Nick
Everyone has valid points and what they consider to be very important. But at the end of the day you have to do what's best for you and your family.

My OH spends 7 days a week working to pay for the things we have. Then there is the train journey every morning and home every night. The dark winters mean you are practically ready for bed when you get home! Also the cold and rain is rubbish when you have a bored 2 year old who loves the outdoors and just wants to run around. Small gardens, beaches that are too far away and mostly pebbled, people at every turn. It's a rat race and everyone is trying so very hard to get somewhere!

I work full time too and whilst I get home at a reasonable time, family time is at a premium. There is not much to do that doesn't involve going to the pub. I lived in South Africa for my whole childhood until I was 18, I know my daughter is missing out.

Yes we will have to make sacrifices, but we are currently sacrificing my daughter's childhood and future and for what? I like to have nice things and plenty of money is fantastic, but I would give all of that up in a heartbeat.

We slog our guts out for what we have in the UK, long hours, poor pay rises, rising taxes and interest rates. The grass isn't always greener but maybe in some ways it is? From everything I've read the lifestyle and weather more than make up for the other down sides.

If you had the choice of being miserable in the UK or miserable in Australia, I know where I'd rather be miserable!

As long as you take off the rose tinted glasses before you make your decision, you will most likely make the best decision for you and your family. Whether that is in the UK or in Oz, only you can know for sure!

We're Oz bound but not for a little while yet so maybe things will be different when we come to making the move, but in the meantime, getting the visa is important and planning for the future. Rather that than sitting here unhappy and in a rut.

I think that people's responses on here are as a result of being disappointed. It would be lovely to think that there is an easier and cheaper life elsewhere and sometimes that's what keeps us going. Nothing in life comes easy, but if you think that for one minute your life will be better in Oz than in the UK, you'd be crazy not to jump at the chance.

Good luck to everyone though, I hope you find your right answer! The decision is probably one of the biggest you will ever make!
Where are you heading?
Old Mar 1st 2008, 11:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

geordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond repute

All fair enough. But....IF you are in the fabrication game and IF you want to live in an area where houses are $400K
All those people that came here years ago,say late 80's,living in their houses worth around 400K,you wouldn't want to live anywhere near them would you.What a nightmare,the bastards might even lend you the lawn mower at weekends until you get established and pick up a few things.Most of them would be cruel enough to probably help you find work,guide you through the ins and outs of a new country.

As for Forrestdale,well,new houses,new suburb,30 minute drive maximum to a lot of industrial areas,10 minute drive to the train for park and ride if they work in Perth.

All those people to meet starting off their lives.The dawn chorus to wake you up in a semi rural area close to the city.What a nightmare.

No huge mortgage to service,not having to work long hours to service it.Who would want to live like that.
Old Mar 1st 2008, 11:21 pm
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by geordie downunder
All those people that came here years ago,say late 80's,living in their houses worth around 400K,you wouldn't want to live anywhere near them would you.What a nightmare

lol

No huge mortgage to service,not having to work long hours to service it.Who would want to live like that.

eh me, but it aint gonna happen here, wont happen in the u.k either, but at least in scotland i will be able to afford a mortgage
Old Mar 1st 2008, 11:25 pm

All those people that came here years ago,say late 80's,living in their houses worth around 400K,you wouldn't want to live anywhere near them would you.What a nightmare,the bastards might even lend you the lawn mower at weekends until you get established and pick up a few things.Most of them would be cruel enough to probably help you find work,guide you through the ins and outs of a new country.

As for Forrestdale,well,new houses,new suburb,30 minute drive maximum to a lot of industrial areas,10 minute drive to the train for park and ride if they work in Perth.

All those people to meet starting off their lives.The dawn chorus to wake you up in a semi rural area close to the city.What a nightmare.

eh
Old Mar 1st 2008, 11:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

geordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stariston
A QUESTION FOR MR KEVIN RUDD

THE DRIVERS OF INFLATION ARE RESISTANT TO INTREST RATE RISES

SO WHY DO YO KEEP PUSHING THEM UP

IT AINT WORKING

The Australian newspaper quote
The RBA is supposedly independantof the govt,and runs economic policy.

We've had around 13 or 14 rate rises,these all happened under Rudd?

Roughly around 1/3 of people rent,1/3 own and 1/3 are buying.Interest rate rises hit a small amount of the population very hard.Eventually they will hit a lot of people as the rises hit business hard and they start to lay off people to cut costs.No pay rises are given and you are told to work harder.Rises are a sledgehammer to crack a walnut.

Do you think any party would be re-elected if they spread the load more evenly.Would you vote for them if they said we will raise tax by 5% so everybody is hit in one move?
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 12:14 am
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Margaret3
but at least in scotland i will be able to afford a mortgage
It depends where in Scotland you go. Edinburgh, Glasgow, Aberdeen are very expensive. You may get a cheaper house if you choose an ex-council house but in Edinburgh you will still pay at least 150 000 UK pounds for that.

There are cheaper properties out in the country but even those have risen sharply in the last 5 years. Just like Oz, it depends where you want to live.
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 12:17 am
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Janna and Nick
I think that people's responses on here are as a result of being disappointed. It would be lovely to think that there is an easier and cheaper life elsewhere and sometimes that's what keeps us going. Nothing in life comes easy, but if you think that for one minute your life will be better in Oz than in the UK, you'd be crazy not to jump at the chance.

Good luck to everyone though, I hope you find your right answer! The decision is probably one of the biggest you will ever make!
Fantastic post. Good luck with your plans.
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 12:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Holed-up in a rental, lining the pockets of a greedy, anonymous, faceless landlord

Why would anybody want to do that in the long term?[/QUOTE]

All my tenants know me,any problems with agents ,repairs etc ,all they have to do is telephone and I am straight on to it.If they have children then they get two weeks rent back at Xmas to help with the heavy expenditure.

They are helping me to get wealthy,I have no problem at all with helping them.

You'll be paying that greedy faceless bank interest,they make a profit of around 1.5% of loan book.They probably think they are helping you into a home,and of course those profits are returned to greedy faceless me as a shareholder.They are also returned to your super fund so you can be helped in retirement.

That greedy faceless company that you may work for,the greedy faceless owner that put his arse on the line to get going and provide employment.He (or shareholders) is helping you to get ahead ,while helping himself to get ahead.

One of those funny things in life is the more you help people the more you get ahead.

Ever thought of spending large amounts of money and being one of those greedy faceless people.
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 12:35 am
NO ADDED SUGAR

Ever thought of spending large amounts of money and being one of those greedy faceless people.
That is exactly what we intend to do!

Don't know about being "faceless" though, it sounds a bit painful. I have seen that movie, "Face off", where John Travolta and Nic Cage swap faces and would consider that if I could get a good one - Angelina Jolie maybe... hmmm... (Brad Pitt would get the fright of his life though )
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 1:06 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Ahhhh! You paint such a gorgeous picture of urban community....Sounds great - no hoons, no home invasions, low crime rate it's all good!!
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 2:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Ahhhh! You paint such a gorgeous picture of urban community....Sounds great - no hoons, no home invasions, low crime rate it's all good!!
Telling it like it is,no hoons in my cul-de -sac.Once in a while someone decides to see how quick they can do the 100 metres down the street and squeals the tyres.Kids letting off steam as I did when I was their age.

Some of the people are multi millionaires through investing,some of them are just starting out.All of them are average people.

House has been broken into once,around 1988,no home invasions that I have heard of.Only a fool/dreamer would think that Perth or Australia would not have social problems,only a fool/dreamer would think that every house is burgled or invaded.Only a fool /dreamer would think it is a utopia in the sunshine,it isn't.

You can have the last negative word.
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 2:55 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by I_Will_Freckle
It depends where in Scotland you go. Edinburgh, Glasgow, Aberdeen are very expensive. You may get a cheaper house if you choose an ex-council house but in Edinburgh you will still pay at least 150 000 UK pounds for that.

There are cheaper properties out in the country but even those have risen sharply in the last 5 years. Just like Oz, it depends where you want to live.

ehhhhhhh yes i do know, i have spent the last 43 years living in scotland, and mellie 10 months

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.