Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Expectations of Australia

Expectations of Australia

Old Jan 14th 2009, 6:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney AUS - Leeds/Selby/York UK - Sydney AUS (April 2011)
seayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud of
Default Expectations of Australia

I don't want to have a go at anyone and I know people are entitled to their opinion but:

1. Why do the British think every Australian has a swimming pool in their back yard? That would be like Australians thinking everyone in the UK wheres a bowler hat and carries and umbrella with a Financial Times under their arm, and it raining all the time. (if people say it is on TV I would like to know what thier watching)
2. Why do people think they will get there and be able to spend more time with their families. Nice thought but why there and not here?
3. Why do people think it is cheaper there. A search on the internet will tell you that. This includes houses.

Please do your research before you go because you will be dissapointed and it will make the shows on Australia (that alot of us watch if for nothing else the scenery) more bearable

Last edited by seayork2002; Jan 14th 2009 at 7:44 pm. Reason: sent before completing
Old Jan 14th 2009, 7:38 pm
ASHO

ASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really nice
Default Re: Expectations of Australia

Originally Posted by seayork2002
I don't want to have a go at anyone and I know people are entitled to their opinion but:

1. Why do the British think every Australian has a swimming pool in their back yard? That would be like Australians thinking everyone in the UK wheres a bowler hat and carries and umbrella with a Financial Times under their arm, and it raining all the time. (if people say it is on TV I would like to know what thier watching)
2. Why do people think they will get their and be able to spend more time with their families. Nice thought but why there and not here?
3. Why do people think it is cheaper there. A search on the internet will tell you that. This includes houses
Whats your point?
Old Jan 14th 2009, 7:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

2. Why do people think they will get their and be able to spend more time with their families. Nice thought but why there and not here?
3. Why do people think it is cheaper there. A search on the internet will tell you that. This includes houses

1 - Dunno....but I have one that's all I care about
2 - I can't wait to go to work and get away from mine
3 - Research, now there's a novel idea....it'll never catch on
Old Jan 14th 2009, 8:30 pm
sub
Forum Regular

sub will become famous soon enoughsub will become famous soon enough

Just out of interest why have you moved back and forth so many times? Were you disappointed? Or did you not do enough research, the previous times, and therefore warning everyone else to do so, before they make the same mistake?
Old Jan 14th 2009, 8:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

seayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud of

No it wasn't to do with research, I did all I needed to do. And no I am not dissapointed (I love the UK more than my husband and he is from here)

It is a long story but some of the trips I was by myself now I have a husband and child (who was a surprise) so this one final move for the lifestyle we want for our child.

Originally Posted by sub
Just out of interest why have you moved back and forth so many times? Were you disappointed? Or did you not do enough research, the previous times, and therefore warning everyone else to do so, before they make the same mistake?
Old Jan 14th 2009, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

seanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to all

We emmigrate in May (if queensland health pull their finger out) and I must admit, programs like WDU do dis0illusion people which is why I think, half of the applicants this year have gone on the program as a "would like to see what it is like" rather than "we know what it is like and want to go".

I have not been yet (OH has) and I expect to work harder than I do in the uk, find things more expensive than here and have to be accepted by people, not automatically fit in.

I originally had preconceptions, but reading these forums helped me to understand (to a degree) what to expect.

Luckily me and the OH will be earning a fair salary so dont find us in the annoying boat of "well we earn £25k a year in the UK and can keep a family of four, in Oz we will be able to buy a house and retire in four years on the same salary" (A friend of mine thought the same in New Zealand, 2 years ago, he lasted 3 months)

To me and this is only my opinion, Oz isnt utopia, nowhere is, if you tame down what you expect and as the OP says do your research, then you are limiting the fall.

Also, and this is my motto, if you dont like it, you can always come back!
Sean
Old Jan 14th 2009, 8:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Even you go into level headed you will be ok

And Aussie can be friendly but a little loud!........or is that just in the soaps?
Old Jan 14th 2009, 8:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

It is a long story but some of the trips I was by myself now I have a husband and child (who was a surprise) so this one final move for the lifestyle we want for our child.
And what lifestyle do you think they will achieve in Oz that they can't in the UK?
Old Jan 14th 2009, 9:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Being able to go to the beach and other outdoor activities all year round, freshly caught seafood, being closer to my parents (and my other family), going throught the Australian school system.

Bets can be taken on who says "but you can get that here" but we have researched evertything we want for our son rationally and have decided for us and no other person that we want our child to grow up in Australia.

No there is nothing wrong the UK but it is not want we want now.

Originally Posted by Louiseh86
And what lifestyle do you think they will achieve in Oz that they can't in the UK?
Old Jan 14th 2009, 9:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

2. Why do people think they will get there and be able to spend more time with their families. Nice thought but why there and not here?
Being able to go to the beach and other outdoor activities all year round, being closer to my parents (and my other family)
So you could say one of your reasons for going to Australia is to spend more time with family?
Old Jan 14th 2009, 9:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Well the family I am talking about live in Sydney and even though we are moving to Adelaide it gets a bit hard some weekends to pop over and see them from the UK. ANd we could be wrong but we think Adelaide to Sydney might be a bit closer

Originally Posted by Louiseh86
So you could say one of your reasons for going to Australia is to spend more time with family?