Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Expats Once Removed

Expats Once Removed

Old Nov 6th 2007, 11:07 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Expats Once Removed

This is really aimed at people who've left their country of origin, lived in another for some time and then moved to Australia.

Which, if any, expat group do you tend to gravitate towards or feel an affinity for - that of your homeland or your subsequent country? With so many Kiwis and Brits in SE Queensland it's quite nice to have a foot in both camps. Have you found the same?
Old Nov 6th 2007, 11:09 am
live free or die

welshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Expats Once Removed

Originally Posted by Nerine
This is really aimed at people who've left their country of origin, lived in another for some time and then moved to Australia.

Which, if any, expat group do you tend to gravitate towards or feel an affinity for - that of your homeland or your subsequent country? With so many Kiwis and Brits in SE Queensland it's quite nice to have a foot in both camps. Have you found the same?
To be honest I feel all over the place a bit really, kinda shared out between countries, and we have't go to Oz yet,

You?
Old Nov 6th 2007, 12:33 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Which, if any, expat group do you tend to gravitate towards or feel an affinity for - that of your homeland or your subsequent country?
The latter.
Old Nov 6th 2007, 7:53 pm

Me? well, I'm surprised that I feel more empathy towards Kiwis. I'm still very proud of my British heritage and our traditions and there's no way I'd loose my (very) English accent (much to my kids' disgust ) but I do feel more of a draw towards Kiwis, possibly because I've not severed ties with NZ yet. It's an interesting one.

I often wonder what it would feel like to go back to Britain to live, how easy it would be to fit in.
Old Nov 7th 2007, 8:06 am
jce
Forum Regular

jce is a name known to alljce is a name known to alljce is a name known to alljce is a name known to alljce is a name known to alljce is a name known to alljce is a name known to alljce is a name known to alljce is a name known to alljce is a name known to alljce is a name known to all

I was born in South Africa, moved to the UK and now in Australia

I learnt from my parents who moved from the UK to South Africa that mainly associating with expats is the best way not to settle and end up going back!

So here now I always tend to gravitate to aussies rather than Brits.
Old Nov 7th 2007, 8:43 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Me? well, I'm surprised that I feel more empathy towards Kiwis. I'm still very proud of my British heritage and our traditions and there's no way I'd loose my (very) English accent (much to my kids' disgust ) but I do feel more of a draw towards Kiwis, possibly because I've not severed ties with NZ yet. It's an interesting one.

I often wonder what it would feel like to go back to Britain to live, how easy it would be to fit in.
Nerine I am the opposite I feel more akin to my british heritage. Perhaps leaving friends in my mid 20's in NZ and finding them still in the same rut some 15 years later

Perhaps I have also discovered more to England than east enders and hankerchief dancing.
Old Nov 7th 2007, 8:49 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
Nerine I am the opposite I feel more akin to my british heritage. Perhaps leaving friends in my mid 20's in NZ and finding them still in the same rut some 15 years later

Perhaps I have also discovered more to England than east enders and hankerchief dancing.
Yes Mrs Buzzy feels the same mate. Me, I'm an Englishman living the life of an Australian. To avoid confusion, I refer to myself as Victorian, which makes my Dad laugh as that's exactly what I've been referring to him as all his life!

Buzzy
Old Nov 7th 2007, 8:16 pm

I guess I should say I'm a Queenslander then? (visions of balconied wooden houses spring to mind)