Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Exemption from Medicare levy

Exemption from Medicare levy

Old Jun 28th 2005, 10:12 am
Forum Regular

MarkandJulie will become famous soon enoughMarkandJulie will become famous soon enough
Default Exemption from Medicare levy

Does anyone have an exemption from paying medicare levy?

Do you have to pay it through the year and then claim it as a tax refund? Or does your employer reduce your tax rate to make allowance for you not having to pay it?

Thanks
Old Jun 28th 2005, 10:15 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Exemption from Medicare levy

Originally Posted by MarkandJulie
Does anyone have an exemption from paying medicare levy?

Do you have to pay it through the year and then claim it as a tax refund? Or does your employer reduce your tax rate to make allowance for you not having to pay it?

Thanks
Unlikely to apply to many people.
http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/co...tent/40501.htm

Any adjustment would normally be calculated in the annual Tax return, after June 30th, and not during the year.

Old Jun 28th 2005, 10:19 am
Forum Regular

MarkandJulie will become famous soon enoughMarkandJulie will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Unlikely to apply to many people.
http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/co...tent/40501.htm

Any adjustment would normally be calculated in the annual Tax return, after June 30th, and not during the year.

Thanks ABC Diamond,

We do qualify for the "Exemption Certificate" - just didn't understand if the exemption came through the weekly pay packet or a year end reduction. I suppose it will all become apparent when I receive my tax pack.

Do most people (with no unusual circumstances) prepare their own tax return or is it usually necessary for everyone to use a tax agent? Never had to do a tax return in UK, so not sure what to expect
Old Jun 28th 2005, 10:30 am
ABCDiamond

Thanks ABC Diamond,

We do qualify for the "Exemption Certificate" - just didn't understand if the exemption came through the weekly pay packet or a year end reduction. I suppose it will all become apparent when I receive my tax pack.

Do most people (with no unusual circumstances) prepare their own tax return or is it usually necessary for everyone to use a tax agent? Never had to do a tax return in UK, so not sure what to expect
Most people seem to use an agent at a cost of about $65-$75, even for a very basic return.

However, it isn't as difficult as it may sound.

My advice would be to get an agent to do it the first year, then have a try yourself the next year, if you feel capable. If you get stuck, you can always go back to the agent

Old Jun 28th 2005, 10:33 am
ABCDiamond

Actually I just checked it, and you can get a certificate from the ATO, to get the employer to deduct the correct figures, taking into account the M/L exemption.

Old Jun 29th 2005, 1:32 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks ABC Diamond,

I manage to do mine ok myself, just download the etax thing from the ATO website on the 1st July, and its all pretty straightforward, you just follow it through entering in details etc, there's help for most of it if your unsure, and the one time I still got stuck I just rang them up and they answered it for me ( think it was something to do medicare and the time period in our first year that we were classed as residents)

I had to claim back some business mileage and that was all straight forward, I got a refund from them within a week or so.

Its just common sense really, nothing to stop you downloading it and having a go yourself, it you get stuck and want an agent to do it, you havent lost anything other than a bit of time and a few days to get any refund.
Im sure you'll be fine.

Steve