Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Exchanging the lump sum _ The Process

Exchanging the lump sum _ The Process

Old Nov 9th 2007, 2:08 pm
Banned

Sooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really nice
Default Exchanging the lump sum _ The Process

Hi.

The Scenario

1) Nationwide Flex Current Account
2) OZ Forex account
3) Bankwest Current Account
4) Building Society Account UK Based with the £10,000.00 in it

The exchange rate next week hits 3.5 dollars to the 1 pound sterling

I like that, so i want to exchange my money over at that rate. The trouble is i have to give 90 days notice or lose 90 days interest accrued on my deposit.

Can i buy a 90 days forward contract at the rate of 3.5 to 1 on this day it hits this new high, then in 90 days change my money over to Australian dollars.

Also how long does the process take, why i ask is if you move a large sum, you stand to lose a large sum in interest.

1- Move money from building society account to your Nationwide Flex account, so BACS two days, or CHAPS one day plus £30.00.

2- Move money from your Nationwide Flex account to your OZ Forex account, so BACS two days, or CHAPS one day plus £30.00.

3- Move money from your OZ Forex account to your Bankwest Current Account How Long?

4- Move money from your Bankwest Current Account to your higher rate savings account How Long?

Quite a lengthy process, could take all in all aweek to complete?

Does this sound about right? This is just an example, figures are artificial.

Last edited by Sooty and Sweep; Nov 9th 2007 at 2:11 pm.
Old Nov 9th 2007, 3:31 pm
Forum Regular

JR05 will become famous soon enoughJR05 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Exchanging the lump sum _ The Process

Hi do you mean 2.5?

Where did you get this info as we are holding off transfering our cash at the min as the exch rate is pants..

Thanks, Jay
Old Nov 9th 2007, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

JR05 will become famous soon enoughJR05 will become famous soon enough

Just read the last bit derrrr!!
Old Nov 9th 2007, 5:05 pm
Banned

Sooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really nice

Originally Posted by JR05
Just read the last bit derrrr!!
Nice thought though? Appologies if i misled you, just threw it in to create a bit of an interest?
Old Nov 9th 2007, 5:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

scrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Sooty and Sweep
Nice thought though? Appologies if i misled you, just threw it in to create a bit of an interest?
You will probably get a lot more replies if you post this in the Australia forum instead of the Immigration forum.

My advise would be to contact OZFOREX or HIFX and see what they say.

Trish
Old Nov 10th 2007, 9:29 am
Banned

Any offers of advice?
Old Nov 10th 2007, 12:37 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scrum
You will probably get a lot more replies if you post this in the Australia forum instead of the Immigration forum.

My advise would be to contact OZFOREX or HIFX and see what they say.

Trish
Its been moved
Old Nov 10th 2007, 1:00 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

The way the AUD seems to be moving, I would be thinking about moving your money sooner rather than later. Not that I'm an expert in these matters, just an interested observer. Of course the result of the election in a couple of weeks could send it the other way too. Decisions decisions .......
Old Jan 8th 2008, 3:17 pm
Banned

Hi,

Can you CHAPS or BACS a lump sum of cash straight from your Building Society Savings account into the OZFOREX or HIFX account in your name?

Or do you have to CHAPS or BACS from a current acount in your name to the OZFOREX or HIFX account in your name?

Just looking at saving time and lost interest really, no point in moving money to an account where it is not really necessary to move ot too?

Thanks

So, instead of first post,

1- Move money from building society account to your OZ Forex account, so BACS two days, or CHAPS one day plus £30.00.

3- Move money from your OZ Forex account to your Bankwest Current Account How Long?

4- Move money from your Bankwest Current Account to your higher rate savings account How Long?

Last edited by Sooty and Sweep; Jan 8th 2008 at 3:19 pm.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 3:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Windsor2 will become famous soon enoughWindsor2 will become famous soon enough

Hi,

Can you CHAPS or BACS a lump sum of cash straight from your Building Society Savings account into the OZFOREX or HIFX account in your name?

Or do you have to CHAPS or BACS from a current acount in your name to the OZFOREX or HIFX account in your name?

Just looking at saving time and lost interest really, no point in moving money to an account where it is not really necessary to move ot too?

Thanks

So, instead of first post,

1- Move money from building society account to your OZ Forex account, so BACS two days, or CHAPS one day plus £30.00.

Sooty and Sweep,

As long as the account is in your name, we can accept funds from anywhere, be it a building society account or current account. Check with your building society how they can transfer the funds - if it is a cheque then bear in mind this will take 5 working days to clear with us. CHAPS is same day and BACS is usually 3 days.

Once we have cleared funds then we will send them straight away (next day if it is after 12pm midday). The funds will take anything from 1-4 days to clear the other end (standard bank clearing times) so allow for this in your calculations.

We can then send the funds to any account, so again a current account or high interest account - all you need are the relevant account numbers, sort codes and IBAN numbers that the recipient bank will be able to provide.

Regards,

Richard, HiFX.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 3:45 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Windsor2
Sooty and Sweep,

As long as the account is in your name, we can accept funds from anywhere, be it a building society account or current account. Check with your building society how they can transfer the funds - if it is a cheque then bear in mind this will take 5 working days to clear with us. CHAPS is same day and BACS is usually 3 days.

Once we have cleared funds then we will send them straight away (next day if it is after 12pm midday). The funds will take anything from 1-4 days to clear the other end (standard bank clearing times) so allow for this in your calculations.

We can then send the funds to any account, so again a current account or high interest account - all you need are the relevant account numbers, sort codes and IBAN numbers that the recipient bank will be able to provide.

Regards,

Richard, HiFX.
Thanks Richard,

Did not think anyone was going to reply! I will be in touch once i know more with regards to the move!

Thankyou S and S
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 9:36 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Windsor2
The funds will take anything from 1-4 days to clear the other end (standard bank clearing times) so allow for this in your calculations.

Can anyone tell me from experience, how long does it take for your funds to clear ready for withdrawal once Ozforex or another currency exchange company has sent them to your Westpac Maxi savings account?

What are the clearing times like in OZ? Thanks
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 10:39 pm
jan
classy clipper

jan will become famous soon enoughjan will become famous soon enough

Any offers of advice?
Sure ask somone who knows
Old Jan 24th 2008, 8:23 pm
jan
classy clipper

jan will become famous soon enoughjan will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by jan
Sure ask somone who knows
No takers?
Old Jan 25th 2008, 2:33 pm
Banned

In answer to my own question, well here it is!

1) Move the money from your building society account (UK) in your name to your OZ Forex account, so BACS three days, or CHAPS same day between a £20.00 to £30.00 fee for CHAPS.

2) Move money from your OZ Forex account to your Westpac Maxi savings account. 1 day (24 hours) As soon as the money hits your Westpac Maxi savings account, it is cleared funds, so ready for withdrawal and earning interest.

So all in all, using the CHAPS transfer process, paying the fee, it should take no longer than 2 days (48 hours), from cleared funds in your building society account in the UK, to cleared funds in your Maxi savings account in OZ.

So if you are moving monies from a house sale, .i.e. a large amount, you should only lose two days interest, why give the banks anything, they are the greedy b@stards!

Thanks.