Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

another plumbing question

another plumbing question

Old Jan 22nd 2008, 9:18 pm
ASHO

ASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really nice
Default another plumbing question

Hi all yes i have done a search on plumbing and couldnt see this question so hear goes
I have been a plumber and central heating engineer for 20 years now but have no certs or paperwork to prove this other than being self employed as a plumber so how do i get a licence when we get to WA when i have no certs?? do i take a test to prove or what please help as this is a bit worrying
thanks Alan..
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 5:25 pm
ASHO

ASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really nice
Default Re: another plumbing question

No plumbers with the same problem then!!!!!!!!
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

ozplumb is an unknown quantity at this point

Did you get through TRA?. if so just take the same evidence and corgi reg. stuff with you and that should be enough to gat a temporary license. you will still have to do a corse of some description to then get a full license...depends on the state i think
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 8:18 pm
ASHO

My wife was the main applicant so i never had to do a TRA and have let my Corgi run out (shit) if that helps me get a licence I will retake it, but its so exspensive thanks for the reply....
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 8:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

SimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really nice

Originally Posted by ASHO View Post
My wife was the main applicant so i never had to do a TRA and have let my Corgi run out (shit) if that helps me get a licence I will retake it, but its so exspensive thanks for the reply....
Check out the working abroad by profession, there's a plumbing section in there. But from what I've heard be prepared to go back to college.

Simon.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 9:22 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Mate, sorry to be the pain in the arse...

But in Australia, even qualified Australians, need to keep updating and upgrading their license and skills periodically.

No way will you just be able to walk in, sit a test and get a permit to work. It just aint gonna happen !

I would seriously begin, researching plumbing courses. You may find, that if you can prove to the regulatory body that you have requisite experience, that you can sit a cpl of tests, without any course work.

As for GAS. I know, Mark a mate of mine, had just had to upgrade his license for new regs in QLD, regarding hot water systems etc.

Hope all goes well, Ste
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 9:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

It might be an idea to get in touch with vetassess and see if you can have your skills assessed before you come over. I believe they issue you a temp. work permit and detail courses you need to do when you get here.

Although I am not sure if the lack of qualifications would be a major hurdle. Especially since they removed pathway D from the TRA (which is based on work experience only). If you still need an ARTC then it will be.

E-mail them and ask the question. http://www.vetassess.com.au/index.cf...tsa_contact_us

Full details on assessments: http://www.vetassess.com.au/index.cfm?menu=1.3a
Old Jan 24th 2008, 4:03 pm
ASHO

Thanks for the helpful replys ive sent off for a brochure for a coarse with OLCI training it gives you an NVQ2 at the end but its quite expencive £5621.53 dont know where they get the 53p from! But in the long run if it gets me doing what I do best(work wise)Iwill pay i suppose!!!
Or i could become a house husband!!!!!!!!
what a thought!
Old Jan 24th 2008, 5:01 pm
egghead4+becky

egghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au View Post
Mate, sorry to be the pain in the arse...

No way will you just be able to walk in, sit a test and get a permit to work. It just aint gonna happen !

As for GAS. I know, Mark a mate of mine, had just had to upgrade his license for new regs in QLD, regarding hot water systems etc.

Hope all goes well, Ste
hi ste

did your mate say if this was easy to do, or is it just as big of a headache as everything else.
thanks
bec
Old Jan 24th 2008, 5:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

SimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really nice

Thanks for the helpful replys ive sent off for a brochure for a coarse with OLCI training it gives you an NVQ2 at the end but its quite expencive £5621.53 dont know where they get the 53p from! But in the long run if it gets me doing what I do best(work wise)Iwill pay i suppose!!!
Or i could become a house husband!!!!!!!!
what a thought!
Why pay for it over here, when you will have to do it again in Australia! Start looking at courses in Australia, try and find one that you could do part of it through correspondence.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 6:02 pm
ASHO

Originally Posted by SimonG View Post
Why pay for it over here, when you will have to do it again in Australia! Start looking at courses in Australia, try and find one that you could do part of it through correspondence.
Make you right Simon do you know where to look?
Old Jan 24th 2008, 6:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Make you right Simon do you know where to look?
Asho,

Leave it with me, I spoke to a bloke at the York expo last year. He had a contact but it changed. I'm waiting to hear back about the new contact. I was trying to get hold of any material that you could do over here to help for when you get over there. Better to do it now whilst still earning rather than be scratching around over there.

The problem I think is that you can't get the same story of everybody. I've heard of people getting their license in days or weeks and others months or years. There's just no consistency.

Simon.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

chris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud of

You may want to check that level 2 is going to help if your paying that much. Personally i think you may find they want equivalent of australian level 3(as they do with most trades) which will be the NVQ 3.

Good luck.

Chris.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 7:11 am
Essex Staffy

daveplumber has a brilliant futuredaveplumber has a brilliant futuredaveplumber has a brilliant futuredaveplumber has a brilliant futuredaveplumber has a brilliant futuredaveplumber has a brilliant future

UK plumber here working in perth, be prepared for it to be a bit of a pain in the arse but it is not that hard. If I was you i would be getting references from people, contracters you have done work for the more the better also get letters from suppliers stating what you purchase how often etc. Also a good one is if you are still working at present get some pics of your work and also you doing it. When you arrive get youself straight to the plumbing licensing centre this is in Selby Street Osbourne Park cant remember the number but its an ugly brown brick building. You then pay them $180.00 i think for your licence application, then the next thing, gotta go there will be more over weekend
Dave
Old Jan 25th 2008, 3:46 pm
ASHO

Originally Posted by daveplumber View Post
UK plumber here working in perth, be prepared for it to be a bit of a pain in the arse but it is not that hard. If I was you i would be getting references from people, contracters you have done work for the more the better also get letters from suppliers stating what you purchase how often etc. Also a good one is if you are still working at present get some pics of your work and also you doing it. When you arrive get youself straight to the plumbing licensing centre this is in Selby Street Osbourne Park cant remember the number but its an ugly brown brick building. You then pay them $180.00 i think for your licence application, then the next thing, gotta go there will be more over weekend
Dave
Thanks I will start with the photos, I think there will be a bit of piss taking on site dont you!!