Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Exchange Rate on its way up?

Exchange Rate on its way up?

Old Dec 4th 2007, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

chugo101 has a spectacular aura aboutchugo101 has a spectacular aura aboutchugo101 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Exchange Rate on its way up?

Originally Posted by nufc
Im with oz forex and they have not offered me 2.3623, when i log on the best rate i get is about 2.35 and im transfering a large amount
Sorry, I meant 2.623 as the Exchange Rate, not as the offer.
Old Dec 4th 2007, 7:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud of

Good luck Chugo. Let's hope something happens soon.... this driving me mad

Nic
Old Dec 4th 2007, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

chugo101 has a spectacular aura aboutchugo101 has a spectacular aura aboutchugo101 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Nic938
Good luck Chugo. Let's hope something happens soon.... this driving me mad

Nic
Thanks Nic, its driving me mad too, but I know what will happen, knowing our luck now we've dropped out limit order to 2.36 the rate will go and hit 2.38 today but its a risk we're going to have to take! I haven't got the time to sit at the computer all day checking rates and hubby's busy at work so we've just got to go with it and look on the positive side of things (well thats what my hubby keeps telling me)! It would've been nice to have got a 2.46 offer in August though and made an extra $13-14,000, oh well what is it they say...., what you've never had you don't miss (but I do miss it!!)
Old Dec 4th 2007, 10:02 pm
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

It's 2.3627 at the minute...
Old Dec 5th 2007, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

I am so annoyed :curse::curseto put it politely!!):curse::curse:

As I mentioned on an earlier post I needed the rate to hit 3.3694 to get my 2.36... what happened yesterday... it hit 2.3684 then bloody dropped!!!

Typical!!

I'm beginning to think I'm not a very lucky person!!!

Today its even worse, sitting at 2.3316 at the mo!

Do I scream and cry or think positively that it'll climb right back up again?

Come on all you experts, help me predict the future!!!!
Old Dec 5th 2007, 9:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud of

Hey Chugo

I am by no means an expert, but I spoke to ukforex today who told me to keep an eye on the exchange rate tomorrow intermitently all day as it could rise with whatever is happening tomorrow (can't remember what he said)

Nic
Old Dec 5th 2007, 9:35 pm
Oxford - SEQ August 07

Urno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really nice

Originally Posted by chugo101
I am so annoyed :curse::curseto put it politely!!):curse::curse:

As I mentioned on an earlier post I needed the rate to hit 3.3694 to get my 2.36... what happened yesterday... it hit 2.3684 then bloody dropped!!!

Typical!!

I'm beginning to think I'm not a very lucky person!!!

Today its even worse, sitting at 2.3316 at the mo!

Do I scream and cry or think positively that it'll climb right back up again?

Come on all you experts, help me predict the future!!!!
I really do feel for you. I had exactly the same issues watching the rate, and it totally consumes you, doesn't it? Watching the HiFX live rates was enough to drive me potty

If it makes you feel any better, we booked a rate for a large amount at 2.38 in August, literally about a couple of hours before it rocketed to 2.55. Now that's bad luck!

I'm watching it again now, but as i'm changing a much smaller amount i'm not that bothered.
Old Dec 5th 2007, 9:37 pm
_

Kalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond repute

It could be expected that the pound was going to drop today(5th) as the announcement is due to be made tomorrow as to whether the BOE will drop interest rates or keep them the same.

If interest rates do drop then its likely that the pound will lose some value and you'll get less Aussie dollars for your money.

The general consensus is that the BOE would not drop interest rates as it would be more beneficial in the long term. However, in the last couple of days some significant individuals and companies (Tescos) have been urging the BOE to drop interest rates to increase spending. This probably made investors a bit unsure as what to expect tomorrow and tentatively backed off the pound a bit.

So the short of it is ...
  • If Interest rates stay the same tomorrow then the pound should should start edging up again in value and you will get more Aussie dollars.
  • If Interest rates drop tomorrow then you could expect the pound to fall even further and you'll get less Aussie dollars.
Old Dec 5th 2007, 9:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

NikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond repute

There is a fair bit of pressure to drop rates, however its more likely that they will drop in Jan rather than tomorrow. Depends on what political pressure is being put on the BOE, with everything else political thats going on, thinking about it now, its quite likely they will drop tomorrow. Makes the politicians more popular. Although the bank is supposed to be politically independent now.....
Old Dec 5th 2007, 9:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for the information, much appreciated.

Just have to hope the BOE keeps the rate the same.

Fingers crossed, Nic
Old Dec 5th 2007, 10:07 pm
_

Kalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond repute

OzForex seem to think that Interest Rates will drop tomorrow.

If so, and you need to exchange very soon then you might want to do it as soon as possible.
Alternative is to play it safe, but be very quick when the announcement is made tomorrow in case it's a drop.

:: Great British Pound: The odds of an interest rate cut by the Bank of England tonight firmed after some less than impressive UK data. November services PMI dropped to its lowest level in over 4 years and coupled with recent falls in consumer sentiment and house prices it appears the case for a reduction is mounting. The Pound Sterling was sold off quite aggressively in the face of the news dropping from Asian levels of 2.0580 to open this morning back at 2.0255. The cross rate opens this morning substantially lower than yesterdays highs of 2.3680 to exchange at 2.3250.

- We expect a range today in the GBP/AUD rate of 2.3180 to 2.3280.
Old Dec 5th 2007, 10:09 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nic938
Hey Chugo

I am by no means an expert, but I spoke to ukforex today who told me to keep an eye on the exchange rate tomorrow intermitently all day as it could rise with whatever is happening tomorrow (can't remember what he said)

Nic
...often if interest rates change it doesn't have that much effect because it was so obvious it was going to happen that the finanical markets already factored it in. However with the BoE decision I reckon it's a very close call and so the result could have an immediate effect on the exchange rate. If the BoE drops rates then the pound could fall quickly against the A$, especially with Aus interest rates still looking likely to rise again within the next 3 months.
Old Dec 5th 2007, 11:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Kalenge
It could be expected that the pound was going to drop today(5th) as the announcement is due to be made tomorrow as to whether the BOE will drop interest rates or keep them the same.

If interest rates do drop then its likely that the pound will lose some value and you'll get less Aussie dollars for your money.

The general consensus is that the BOE would not drop interest rates as it would be more beneficial in the long term. However, in the last couple of days some significant individuals and companies (Tescos) have been urging the BOE to drop interest rates to increase spending. This probably made investors a bit unsure as what to expect tomorrow and tentatively backed off the pound a bit.

So the short of it is ...
  • If Interest rates stay the same tomorrow then the pound should should start edging up again in value and you will get more Aussie dollars.
  • If Interest rates drop tomorrow then you could expect the pound to fall even further and you'll get less Aussie dollars.
So by tomorrow do you mean this will happen Thursday UK or Friday Oz? I'm so fed up its untrue!!!
Old Dec 5th 2007, 11:48 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chugo101
So by tomorrow do you mean this will happen Thursday UK or Friday Oz? I'm so fed up its untrue!!!
BoE decision is normally announced at 12pm Thursday (UK time) I think.
Old Dec 6th 2007, 2:55 am
Just Joined

nufc is an unknown quantity at this point

We did the deal on monday and got 2.36. glad we did because of the uncertenty of the weeks interest rates in the uk. Glad its all over its been doing my head in watching the computer for months on end . Never want to look at exchangr rates ever again. carl

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.