Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Excess International Removers?

Excess International Removers?

Old Jul 17th 2006, 8:51 pm
Just Joined

BlueToffee is a jewel in the roughBlueToffee is a jewel in the roughBlueToffee is a jewel in the roughBlueToffee is a jewel in the rough
Default Excess International Removers?

Hi all,

We are in the final stages of our move and are currently looking at which removal firm to use. Has anyone used Excess International ? If so what were they like, both in the UK and Oz?

We have shortlisted them with PSS and Crown but know a little more on the other two.

We aim to make our decision ASAP so any comments would be greatly received.

Thanks in advance.

BlueToffee.
Old Jul 17th 2006, 10:29 pm
The Mango King

Antney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to all
Default Re: Excess International Removers?

We used Excess International and I can say the service was "OUTSTANDING". They turned up, wrapped and packed everything in two days and sent our container on it's way. It arrived three months later and not one single breakage or damage to anything. They were very professional and they used Kent International (Brisbane) here in Australia to deliver all of our personal effects to our door.

They were not the cheapest quote we received, but well worth every penny!!
Old Jul 17th 2006, 11:06 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

We had mixed experience with 'em at the UK end (our shipment's still en route). We had a really bad packer (great fat bald bloke they called Shrek), who just chucked stuff like our son's toys into boxes and who also packed two empty plastic under-bed clothes containers into a tea-chest sized box on their own (which weren't even meant to go anyway). They also sent a 7.5tonne lorry, despite the fact that I told 'em on booking and the day before about our very steep narrow drive. So they had to pack all our stuff and leave it in the garage for a week until a smaller van was available. They sent out another bloke to sort the shipping out and he was great, he totally repacked the entire shipment and, in the process, saved us £500!!!! So it got resolved, but our view was that it should never have happened in the first place. I spoke to the head of shipping at Excess, told him I wasn't angling for a reduction in fees, just that I was very unhappy with the service we'd received and he said he'd look into it. He got back to me and said that 'Shrek' was a contract employee who they'd given the push and would we like £150 off the bill. Will let you know how things pan out at this end.
Old Jul 18th 2006, 1:29 am
Happy Member

kris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

We used excess and thay packed like a whirlwind!!! Including the muddiest pair of welly boots you will ever see!!!!
Fortunatley they made it through customs and everything arrived safe and in one piece they were great and kept us up to date but the welly boots being packed concerned me a bit!!!

We bartererd with them at the beginning and got the price reduced worth a go!!!

All in all they were ok!!!

Oh and the only other thing that annoyed me was we agreed to make the full payment once our house sale completed which was literally days but within 24 hrs of the container leaving i was getting calls asking for payment which annoyed me!!!

Good Luck
Kris xx
Old Jul 18th 2006, 2:04 am
Forum Regular

Secretsquirral has a spectacular aura aboutSecretsquirral has a spectacular aura aboutSecretsquirral has a spectacular aura about

Hi

We also used Excess and they were fine - everything arrived OK with no damage even though we also had Shrek packing, apart from all the nuts and bolts for one of our toddlers cots was missing and we think the guys who unpacked this end didnt notice them and threw them away with all the other packaging.
One tip though, we got 3 other quotes and Excess promised to beat them and did. We paid £2995 for a full 20 ft container which by far beat the other quotes we had (the dearest being £3900).

Debbie
Old Jul 18th 2006, 10:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Bert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond repute

Excess in UK was fine for us - no Shrek but three packers for a one bedroom flat, full day! They packed slow cause they didnt want to be sent onto another place if they got back to the depot early. Suited us cause it meant they did the job properly. Two things broken which wasn't bad (glass and bowl).

Aus side was a hassle - Kent were given the task and it took 8 weeks and personal phone calls to the Managing Director to get our things from Brisbane Port. Others have said Kent were fine for them tho, so guess we were just 'lucky'.

S
Old Jul 18th 2006, 7:45 pm
Loving Perth!

TheHallidays has a brilliant futureTheHallidays has a brilliant futureTheHallidays has a brilliant futureTheHallidays has a brilliant futureTheHallidays has a brilliant futureTheHallidays has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Secretsquirral
Hi

We also used Excess and they were fine - everything arrived OK with no damage even though we also had Shrek packing, apart from all the nuts and bolts for one of our toddlers cots was missing and we think the guys who unpacked this end didnt notice them and threw them away with all the other packaging.
One tip though, we got 3 other quotes and Excess promised to beat them and did. We paid £2995 for a full 20 ft container which by far beat the other quotes we had (the dearest being £3900).

Debbie
We've just had a quote from Excess of £3900 for a 20ft. How much do you reckon they likely to come down?

xx
Old Jul 20th 2006, 3:24 am
BE Forum Addict

YoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond repute

also had a mixed experience.....

packers in scotland were great... done in no time... everything got here without breakages...

but they lost most of our paperwork (UK) so we had to do it again

and that it took over 18 weeks door to door and arrived only after I complained several times when someone on here had their stuff delivered sooner (from same company!!!)
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 8:09 am
Just Joined

BlueToffee is a jewel in the roughBlueToffee is a jewel in the roughBlueToffee is a jewel in the roughBlueToffee is a jewel in the rough

Thanks to all for responding, we have gone with PSS in the end -so I'll update once they have collected etc.

They come on 3rd August to start packing -full20ft and a bit more thye reckon!

Thanks again

Blue Toffee