Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Geraldton - what's it like?

Geraldton - what's it like?

Old Jul 21st 2006, 1:06 pm
Sunshine Coast -Yeepee!!

Vernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Geraldton - what's it like?

Hi

Thought we were certain on Queensland but I keep thinking about how much I liked Perth when we were over during the easter holidays on our reccie. It was beautiful. I was put off by the crazy land prices and how quickly everyhting was selling.

Just been looking on the internet and came across Geraldton, wondered what it was like
Cheers
Old Jul 21st 2006, 1:13 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Geraldton - what's it like?

Originally Posted by Vernons
Hi

Thought we were certain on Queensland but I keep thinking about how much I liked Perth when we were over during the easter holidays on our reccie. It was beautiful. I was put off by the crazy land prices and how quickly everyhting was selling.

Just been looking on the internet and came across Geraldton, wondered what it was like
Cheers
Suits some, but mainly locals
Old Jul 21st 2006, 1:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Cheers
Dry and hot and nearly 400k from Perth.
Old Jul 21st 2006, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

jo&neil is just really nicejo&neil is just really nicejo&neil is just really nicejo&neil is just really nicejo&neil is just really nicejo&neil is just really nicejo&neil is just really nicejo&neil is just really nicejo&neil is just really nicejo&neil is just really nicejo&neil is just really nice

Hi was going to go Dongara (which is near Geraldton) in April but decided not to bother as told there was nothing there!!! Not much in Geraldton we were told too....
Old Jul 21st 2006, 1:57 pm
Sunshine Coast -Yeepee!!

Vernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond repute

Ummm I think you might be right there.

It is great having so much freedom in terms of where we are going to end up but I am also finding it a bit hard.

Just spoke to husband and he wants to stick to original decison and head to Queensland. I really like the look of Yeppoon, Mackay and Townsville up north. Also like Mount Cotton down south and the sunshine coast is fab.

Did anyone else frind the decision this tricky?
Old Jul 21st 2006, 1:58 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

If I remember correctly it's not got a good reputation in expats eyes.

Search for posts by Jaydee aka Kala who used to live there running a backpackers. She hated it although I believe she lived right in the middle of town.
Old Jul 21st 2006, 2:00 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Here you go........

http://britishexpats.com/forum/searc...earchid=521544
Old Jul 21st 2006, 2:07 pm
Sunshine Coast -Yeepee!!

Hi

Thanks for that, def off the list now.We are going to stick to Queensland. Came over during easter but only got as far up the coast as Nossa. Have you ever been to Yeppoon, Mackay or Townsville? What did you think?
Old Jul 21st 2006, 2:22 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Hi

Thanks for that, def off the list now.We are going to stick to Queensland. Came over during easter but only got as far up the coast as Nossa. Have you ever been to Yeppoon, Mackay or Townsville? What did you think?
Sorry, not visited any of them.

Not sure about Mackay. Mainly a coal mining town I believe. Remember some saying they like it but others the reverse.

Yeppoon is where Biggy lives and she loves it there.

Townsville is growing in popularity and is liked by many. A few expats down that way now. Jimtrish, A Team, RabC and others. They all like it very much.

If you want the best look at Cairns. We have it all
Old Jul 21st 2006, 2:50 pm
Sunshine Coast -Yeepee!!

Husband works as a maintenance fitter.supervisor in a quarry so the mines of Mackay would be good for work for him. Do you have much of that in Cairns?
Thanks
Old Jul 21st 2006, 5:55 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Geraldton - what's it like?

Hi

Cheers
It's a hell of a long way out, so you'd need a pretty good reason to be there in the first place.

Geraldton is a tough mining town; if you're working, it's usually because you're connected to the mines in some way.

IMHO Geraldton is quasi-"outback", with all the positives and negatives that this term implies.

Rugged, but beautiful; lots of vast, wide open spaces and that strangely haunting Australian scrubland.

There's an online community newspaper (here) if you want to hear it from the horse's mouth.

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; Jul 21st 2006 at 5:57 pm.
Old Jul 21st 2006, 10:05 pm
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bix
If I remember correctly it's not got a good reputation in expats eyes.

Search for posts by Jaydee aka Kala who used to live there running a backpackers. She hated it although I believe she lived right in the middle of town.
l remember reading post from her, she owned a backpackers place there, had a problem with crime there, Maybe you should consider in southern WA, somehere like Albany.
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 6:59 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Husband works as a maintenance fitter.supervisor in a quarry so the mines of Mackay would be good for work for him. Do you have much of that in Cairns?
Thanks
Cairns and Townsville are both centres for the mines providing equipment,
supplies and workers.
I guess a lot will be fly in - fly out jobs though.

Here's what's on offer at the moment:-

Mine work:
http://www.jobs.careerone.com.au/js....fromSearch.y=8

Fitters:
http://www.jobs.careerone.com.au/js....fromSearch.y=0

Maintenance:
http://www.jobs.careerone.com.au/js....fromSearch.y=6
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 8:10 am
Sunshine Coast -Yeepee!!

Hi

Thanks for that, it is really helpful.

So Saturday the day for jobs to be in the Courier?

Thanks again