Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Excess Baggage - Singapore Airlines

Excess Baggage - Singapore Airlines

Old May 4th 2011, 8:49 am
Forum Regular

scotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond repute
Default Excess Baggage - Singapore Airlines

Hoping someone can shed some light on our expensive experience!!

We have arrived in Melbourne after travelling Edinburgh-London-Singapore-Melbourne with Singapore Airlines.

When I booked the tickets with the airline they told me we would have double baggage allowance due to the fact we were migrating.

What they failed to explain is that the double baggage allowance is only valid on Singapore Airlines flights. This meant BMI at Edinburgh Airport ended up charging us a whopping 600 pound. It should've actually been about 900 pound but I was so upset they must've felt sorry for us and reduced it.

I had been through such a stressful and emotional couple of weeks before we left, this was the last straw. I cannot believe Singapore Airlines booked these flights for us and failed to mention it.

Has anyone else experienced this? I plan to write a lengthy complaint letter with a copy of the receipt.

We are very happy to have finally arrived. It is not easy travelling such a long distance with 2 little ones. Won't be doing that for a looooooong time again.

Thanks in advance for any info.
Old May 4th 2011, 9:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Excess Baggage - Singapore Airlines

Originally Posted by scotsista

We have arrived in Melbourne after travelling Edinburgh-London-Singapore-Melbourne with Singapore Airlines.

When I booked the tickets with the airline they told me we would have double baggage allowance due to the fact we were migrating.

What they failed to explain is that the double baggage allowance is only valid on Singapore Airlines flights. This meant BMI at Edinburgh Airport ended up charging us a whopping 600 pound. It should've actually been about 900 pound but I was so upset they must've felt sorry for us and reduced it.

I had been through such a stressful and emotional couple of weeks before we left, this was the last straw. I cannot believe Singapore Airlines booked these flights for us and failed to mention it.

Has anyone else experienced this? I plan to write a lengthy complaint letter with a copy of the receipt.

We are very happy to have finally arrived. It is not easy travelling such a long distance with 2 little ones. Won't be doing that for a looooooong time again.

Weve had problems coming back from Canada with massive baggage allowance and then trying to get on qantas domestic. But then they said we had only booked two kids not three, despite tickets and made us wait 7 hour to get out of sydney. After that little dispute the baggage seemed to be overlooked.

I think it might be up to the individual to check all airlines not just the one, unless its all ticketed together
Old May 4th 2011, 9:41 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Excess Baggage - Singapore Airlines

Originally Posted by scotsista

Wow...I can't believe it was 600 quid extra just for EDI - LHR! How many extra bags / kilos was that?

This is one of the issues with airlines special deals to migrants, it will generaly never apply on connecting flights on other airlines. If when you spoke to Singapore Airlines it was directly in the context of your booking then I agree it is remiss of them not to have mentioned it to you.

However, you would be very lucky to get any sort of cash compensation from them...after all they still carried your bags for free LHR - MEL. If you are a Kirsflyer member the best you can hope for is probably some miles as compensation...which you won't want to use because you're miffed at them!