Reload this Page >

Ex pat returning to england- Gift idea

Ex pat returning to england- Gift idea

Old Nov 6th 2015, 4:04 pm
Just Joined

intel88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ex pat returning to england- Gift idea

Hi All,

I'm looking for some help from you all. I have a friend who is moving back from Perth in the new year, and want to create a welcome home basket for her.

Shes 28, and has been in Perth for around 10 yrs, having returned to the uk to visit 2-3 times.

In a nut shell, i want to build a basket of things she will have missed to welcome her home. I'm looking for ideas of what you all miss? Food, Drinks, Magazines, etc.

Would really appreciate the help as i have no idea what you can and cant get over there?

Thanks in advance
Old Nov 7th 2015, 6:58 am
Forum Regular

Sarah7263 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Ex pat returning to england- Gift idea

This is such a nice idea!!

As a 28 year old who moved back to the UK recently these are my suggestions (I obviously have no idea what your friend is like so it's quite personal to me but it might give you some ideas!) -
- Cadbury chocolate - it just doesn't taste the same in Australia, the U.K. Stuff is delicious
- galaxy chocolate (you can tell I like chocolate) but I couldn't get galaxy in Aus and again it's delicious
- mini cheddars - another thing I missed
- magazines definitely, especially the trashy ones - magazines are pretty expensive in Aus compared to the UK
- a plug adapor to convert her many Australian plugs to a uk socket
- some sort of UK travel book or best things to do in London or wherever she is moving back to - I got the lonely planet book for Great Britain as a gift and have enjoyed doing some weekend trips - there are a lot of great places we have on our door step
- some thick, cosy winter socks or scarf or gloves or something - if she's moving back in January she will be cold!!
- depending on how much you want to spend could also get her a voucher for her favourite clothes shop over here - topshop/ river island/ new look etc? It was funny going from all the Aussie clothes shops back to uk clothes shops again!

As I said, these are my personal suggestions but hopefully it helps!!
Old Nov 7th 2015, 7:30 am
Just Joined

Thank you! These are some wonderful ideas! Some I hadn't even thought of. The warm clothes and travel adapter are great ideas! And thank for for the food suggestions. I have no idea what sort of stuff is sold over there! So information from someone who has been there is great! And the U.K. Travel book idea is fantastic too!
Old Nov 7th 2015, 11:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sarah7263
..topshop...
Great list...maybe not topshop as in Perth I think...

Last edited by fish.01; Nov 7th 2015 at 11:10 am.
Old Nov 8th 2015, 5:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

You have an excellent list there already - the plug adaptors and travel book are a brilliant suggestion!
For me it would be:
Half a dozen real sausages from a butcher
Some real English cheeses - cheddar, Stilton, Wensleydale etc
M&S light weight thermal t-shirt
Some Hotel Chocolat chocolates (don't do Cadburys in either place LOL)
If she's a knitter, a list of all the local wool shows for the upcoming year and one of the knitting mags (or swap for any particular interest focus)

A survival kits is a fab idea though!
Old Nov 9th 2015, 2:45 pm
Forum Regular

winston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to behold

Marmite. And forget the plug adaptor, most are poorly made and don't conform to UK or Australien specs. Better to get a few plugs, screwdriver, and wire cutters/strippers.
Old Nov 9th 2015, 3:38 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for all the reply's so far, some excellent ideas and very helpful! Looking forward to building the basket, should come out very well