Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Primary school in the Hills District, Sydney - child with possible dyslexia

Primary school in the Hills District, Sydney - child with possible dyslexia

Old Nov 9th 2015, 9:30 am
Just Joined

Jenwah26 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Primary school in the Hills District, Sydney - child with possible dyslexia

Hi there,

We are an Australian/English family that are from Glenhaven, NSW. We moved to the UK mid 2014. We will be returning to Glenhaven in Spring/summer 2016 if all goes to plan.

We have two children currently in school in the UK, our daughter has just started reception (Kindy) and our son is in year two. I plan for them to commence school in Term 4 in 2016 in Australia with my daughter doing a term in Kindy and my son in year two. They will have completed a full year of their class in the UK so this extra term will allow them to find their way and for the school to assess where they are at academically.

My son was in a local catholic school for 6 mths (in Kindy) before we left Australia and he was an average student, mostly happy with a great teacher and the school had a lovely community spirit. We didn't want to leave. The school itself is very good and I will happily send them back if there is a place. However, my son has dyslexic tendencies and should this eventually be a formal diagnosis we need a school that is able to provide a good learning support program for literacy and possibly numeracy and be able to work with him and understand his learning needs are a little different. (I know all kids learn differently!!)

Our children currently are in a private school in the UK with a max of 18 children in each class. It is a small campus, very nurturing and they are very lucky little kids. I know returning to a public school or catholic school will see these number increase dramatically which is fine if the additional learning support is available and they don't get lost in the crowd.

I have had a family member look at Northolm school and while it is lovely, she worries it could be too small and insulated. Does anyone have any children or experiences of the school they could share? It seems perfect on paper but you can't beat word of mouth.

Glenhaven public is an alternative and I know in the past it has been a very good school but I have no idea of their learning support and if it is still ticking away nicely as I recall a new principal in the mix a year or so ago.

St Mad's at Kenthurst is another option and where he was. There are no guarantees we will be able to return do to class numbers so we need to look at all our options. Learning support is paramount.

If anyone can make recommendations for alternative schools in the area or shed light on the schools mentioned it will be very appreciated.

We are open to the best school whether that be public, private or Christian.

Thank you in advance.

Jen
Old Nov 9th 2015, 10:18 am
BE Enthusiast

slackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Primary school in the Hills District, Sydney - child with possible dyslexia

Originally Posted by Jennifer Singfield
Hi there,

We are an Australian/English family that are from Glenhaven, NSW. We moved to the UK mid 2014. We will be returning to Glenhaven in Spring/summer 2016 if all goes to plan.

We have two children currently in school in the UK, our daughter has just started reception (Kindy) and our son is in year two. I plan for them to commence school in Term 4 in 2016 in Australia with my daughter doing a term in Kindy and my son in year two. They will have completed a full year of their class in the UK so this extra term will allow them to find their way and for the school to assess where they are at academically.

My son was in a local catholic school for 6 mths (in Kindy) before we left Australia and he was an average student, mostly happy with a great teacher and the school had a lovely community spirit. We didn't want to leave. The school itself is very good and I will happily send them back if there is a place. However, my son has dyslexic tendencies and should this eventually be a formal diagnosis we need a school that is able to provide a good learning support program for literacy and possibly numeracy and be able to work with him and understand his learning needs are a little different. (I know all kids learn differently!!)

Our children currently are in a private school in the UK with a max of 18 children in each class. It is a small campus, very nurturing and they are very lucky little kids. I know returning to a public school or catholic school will see these number increase dramatically which is fine if the additional learning support is available and they don't get lost in the crowd.

I have had a family member look at Northolm school and while it is lovely, she worries it could be too small and insulated. Does anyone have any children or experiences of the school they could share? It seems perfect on paper but you can't beat word of mouth.

Glenhaven public is an alternative and I know in the past it has been a very good school but I have no idea of their learning support and if it is still ticking away nicely as I recall a new principal in the mix a year or so ago.

St Mad's at Kenthurst is another option and where he was. There are no guarantees we will be able to return do to class numbers so we need to look at all our options. Learning support is paramount.

If anyone can make recommendations for alternative schools in the area or shed light on the schools mentioned it will be very appreciated.

We are open to the best school whether that be public, private or Christian.

Thank you in advance.

Jen
Hi Jen, I live in Glenhaven and currently have two children at Glenhaven Public School. I couldn't wish for a better school for my children. I was a governor at what was a perceived good school in England but it was not a patch on Glenhaven PS. Both the pastoral and educational standards far exceed my school experience in the UK. Anecdotally the level of special needs support in Australian schools always seems to be poor in comparison to the UK, but I know Glenhaven PS do support a number of special needs children. The current principal, Mrs Maxwell, has maintained the excellence of the school since taking over from Mr Mehmet. Feel free to PM me if needed.
Old Nov 9th 2015, 4:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Primary school in the Hills District, Sydney - child with possible dyslexia

Dyslexia won't get any additional special ed support in NSW, it'll be up to the school as to how they utilise their general resources. If there is a cognitive impairment however then there may be additional support. All gov schools have access to a school counsellor who can do a psychoeducational assessment if you haven't already had one done in UK. If you have one from UK then take all assessment data with you when you return.