Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Even the Pubs here are Iffy

Even the Pubs here are Iffy

Old Nov 6th 2002, 12:38 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Even the Pubs here are Iffy

Old Pom better watch out them Aussies are well off the planet.

Snake in pub bites two men

By Luke Eliot

A METRE-LONG snake bit two men during Melbourne Cup festivities at a Toodyay hotel yesterday afternoon.

Police were investigating a claim that the snake was deliberately thrown into the Toodyay Tavern, but early inquiries suggested the reptile simply slithered through the front doors by itself.

They said throwing snakes into rooms containing people was a prank sometimes played by farmers.

Tavern licensee Margaret Williamson said the snake, a venomous gwardar, was met by a full house of patrons when it wriggled through the front doors about 3.30pm.

"It just wandered in," Mrs Williamson said. "A couple of guys grabbed rakes and tried to get it but they couldn't because there were too many people in the way.

"It was getting close to someone so one guy picked it up and it bit him twice," Mrs Williamson said.

The man, a regular patron, dropped the snake when it bit him. Mrs Williamson said her son, the tavern manager, ran to help, but was also bitten as he picked the snake up and threw it out the door.

St John Ambulance took the men to Swan District Hospital and then to Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital for treatment. They were last night in a serious but stable condition.

Mrs Williamson said the snake was killed and taken in the ambulance to the hospital for identification.

She said it was not the first time she had seen a snake in her tavern, although on previous occasions the snakes had been harmless breeds brought in by regular patrons.
Old Nov 6th 2002, 8:32 am
Forum Regular

Marlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant future
Default Re: Even the Pubs here are Iffy

[QUOTE][SIZE=1]Originally posted by pommie bastard

Perhaps you should ask your folks back home to enlighten you of what they read in the papers. News papers are mostly doom and gloom, shock sells papers, but of course every bad thing that happens in the Uk is Minor to you!! If you had half a brain you`d take some good from the UK and put it to some use in Oz, if they`re are so behind, or is that too much like hard work?

Another grey, rainy day here, more floods no doubt!!

Can`t wait for your return, keep smiling!
Marlo

Old Nov 6th 2002, 11:28 am
Forum Regular

shamer is an unknown quantity at this point

After reading this (and being a witness for many years)
I say, bring on the snakes.

Monday, 9 September, 2002, 13:45 GMT 14:45 UK
Knife culture warning issued

There were six stabbing incidents in Glasgow
Scotland's justice minister has described as "unacceptable" the spate of stabbings in Glasgow over the weekend.
A number of unrelated incidents have left two people dead and five others in hospital.
A man is expected to appear in court on Monday in connection with one of the deaths.
Jim Wallace said: "I have spoken to Strathclyde Police this morning and what they told me was all too familiar when it comes to the ingredients of violent crime in Scotland.

"Young men, alcohol and knives, adding up to attempted murder and murder."
Mr Wallace was addressing the three-day Towards a Safer Society conference in the city on Monday.
He told delegates: "Over this weekend Glasgow has witnessed two murders and four attempted murders. All of these attacks were with knives."

He said that the carrying of knives had been an "unacceptable" part of the country's culture for too long.
Mr Wallace stressed that police and the Scottish Executive were committed to tackling violent crime.
He said officers now had greater stop-and-search powers - and that the number of convictions had risen dramatically.
Carrying a knife
"The message to those who carry knives should be clear.
"If you carry a weapon then your chances of being caught are greater than ever before.
"If you think that carrying a knife offers you protection then the truth is that you much more likely to be stabbed or to stab someone else," he said.
Mr Wallace said that other ways of tackling violent crime were also being examined.

These included investment in campaigns to change attitudes to binge drinking and drug misuse.
"The police will continue to be proactive in tackling this issue and they will have my full support in trying to end Scotland's unacceptable knife culture," he added.
Figures released last week showed a major upsurge in convictions for knife crime.
The Scottish National Party called for new measures to tackle the problem, but ministers argued that the statistics showed a police crackdown was working.
Strathclyde Police were called to six separate incidents in Glasgow over the weekend.
Two men died and five others received hospital treatment for injuries
Old Nov 6th 2002, 11:37 am
Forum Regular

Marlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant future

[QUOTE][SIZE=1]Originally posted by shamer

Thanks for that Shamer, and this is going on all over the country, not just in Scotland.

Best wishes
Marlo
Old Nov 6th 2002, 12:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

sophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nice

Hi

This little incident made it onto the news here in WA...just goes to show how little actually goes on here I know it would have made news in the UK, but things like that don't happen everyday in Leeds!!

love sophia xx
Old Nov 6th 2002, 11:11 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE][SIZE=1]Originally posted by Marlo
Originally posted by pommie bastard

Perhaps you should ask your folks back home to enlighten you of what they read in the papers. News papers are mostly doom and gloom, shock sells papers, but of course every bad thing that happens in the Uk is Minor to you!! If you had half a brain you`d take some good from the UK and put it to some use in Oz, if they`re are so behind, or is that too much like hard work?

Another grey, rainy day here, more floods no doubt!!

Can`t wait for your return, keep smiling!
Marlo

Have had jobs here that I worked harder for less money that I ever did in UK,Australia is a very hard place to change the thinking is 10 years behind UK too big a job for me.
As for my brain its rusted up here but I need to use less to fit in, no one here uses more than half of it .

Old Nov 6th 2002, 11:17 pm
Banned

Originally posted by shamer

Monday, 9 September, 2002, 13:45 GMT 14:45 UK
Knife culture warning issued

There were six stabbing incidents in Glasgow
Scotland's justice minister has described as "unacceptable" the spate of stabbings in Glasgow over the weekend.
A number of unrelated incidents have left two people dead and five others in hospital.
A man is expected to appear in court on Monday in connection with one of the deaths.
Jim Wallace said: "I have spoken to Strathclyde Police this morning and what they told me was all too familiar when it comes to the ingredients of violent crime in Scotland.

"Young men, alcohol and knives, adding up to attempted murder and murder."
Mr Wallace was addressing the three-day Towards a Safer Society conference in the city on Monday.
He told delegates: "Over this weekend Glasgow has witnessed two murders and four attempted murders. All of these attacks were with knives."

He said that the carrying of knives had been an "unacceptable" part of the country's culture for too long.
Mr Wallace stressed that police and the Scottish Executive were committed to tackling violent crime.
He said officers now had greater stop-and-search powers - and that the number of convictions had risen dramatically.
Carrying a knife
"The message to those who carry knives should be clear.
"If you carry a weapon then your chances of being caught are greater than ever before.
"If you think that carrying a knife offers you protection then the truth is that you much more likely to be stabbed or to stab someone else," he said.
Mr Wallace said that other ways of tackling violent crime were also being examined.

These included investment in campaigns to change attitudes to binge drinking and drug misuse.
"The police will continue to be proactive in tackling this issue and they will have my full support in trying to end Scotland's unacceptable knife culture," he added.
Figures released last week showed a major upsurge in convictions for knife crime.
The Scottish National Party called for new measures to tackle the problem, but ministers argued that the statistics showed a police crackdown was working.
Strathclyde Police were called to six separate incidents in Glasgow over the weekend.
Two men died and five others received hospital treatment for injuries
Sounds just like Perth then again loads of Scots here too, Little J H is trying to stop the nutters here having hand guns because of the number of shootings.
As far as drugs go 28% of all Western Australian use some type , most jobs here now want you to take drug test maybe to to be sure you take them?
What you posted sounds like a quiet night in Bonny Scotland you lot going soft?

Sydney schoolgirl who killed her ex-lover in a frenzied knife attack became the youngest female in NSW yesterday to be jailed for murder.

Justice James Wood said the killing of Stephen Tonkiss, 21, at Seaforth was so savage and senseless - driven purely by revenge, jealousy and sexual passion - that a maximum 15-year jail term had to be imposed. Aged 15 at the time and known only as SJB, the Dee Why girl committed the unprovoked and premeditated killing with her boyfriend, Matthew John McLean, now 19, on July 24 last year. McLean was jailed for a maximum 19 years yesterday for his role in what Justice Wood said was "gratuitous, selfish and wholly unnecessary violence".

Last edited by pommie bastard; Nov 7th 2002 at 1:12 am.
Old Nov 7th 2002, 2:11 am
Forum Regular

Perth Helena is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by pommie bastard
Snake in pub bites two men

A METRE-LONG snake bit two men during Melbourne Cup festivities at a Toodyay hotel yesterday afternoon.

<snip>
"It was getting close to someone so one guy picked it up and it bit him twice," Mrs Williamson said.

The man, a regular patron, dropped the snake when it bit him. Mrs Williamson said her son, the tavern manager, ran to help, but was also bitten as he picked the snake up and threw it out the door.

<snip>
These guys have obviously been watching far too much Crocodile Hunter. To go around picking up a snake ... Crikey! I thought only loonies like Steve Irwin did that.

They were on TV last night. They're okay. Big beefy blokes, so the venom wasn't enough to kill them. If you get to the hospital quick enough you should be okay. But if it were a kid, the news wouldn't have been as good.

Oh well, nothing much happening in Toodyay, so this'll give them something to talk about for years to come. Maybe a bit of free advertising for the pub there.
Old Nov 7th 2002, 1:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

suebo is on a distinguished road

If you guys have not been to Toodyay (location-about 100k's east of Perth). It is about a 10 street town, so this would have been a major event there. Did they identify the snake, what was his name???? Mikey/Dave???? what, hope they notified his family of his death
Old Nov 7th 2002, 1:19 pm
Forum Regular

shamer is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds just like Perth then again loads of Scots here too
Don't confuse what happens in Glasgow with the rest of Scotland.
My point is that no matter where you go there are going to be nutters,
and to suggest that Perth’s problems have anything to do with Scottish Immigrants is just xenophobic and underlines your knowledge of the subject.

Try to stay focused on one thread, maybe then you will realise what shit you are spouting.
Old Nov 8th 2002, 12:35 am
Banned

Originally posted by shamer
Don't confuse what happens in Glasgow with the rest of Scotland.
My point is that no matter where you go there are going to be nutters,
and to suggest that Perth’s problems have anything to do with Scottish Immigrants is just xenophobic and underlines your knowledge of the subject.

Try to stay focused on one thread, maybe then you will realise what shit you are spouting.
My good wife is Scottish so that would make our son half Scots? and I have traveled all over Scotland , its not that bad at all though being a dreaded Englishman I have had the odd jibe but mostly in good fun.
You are right about the head cases they are to seen in any place in the world ,we would love to live in Scotland but lack of work and weather there is a bit iffy so can understand why a lot of Scots leave, saying that my outlaws up there would never leave.

Last edited by pommie bastard; Nov 8th 2002 at 12:37 am.