Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth tops Food bills in Australia

Perth tops Food bills in Australia

Old Nov 7th 2002, 4:09 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Perth tops Food bills in Australia

May help those who like pricing such things?

PERTH consumers are paying some of the country's highest prices for meat - and for milk, oranges, bananas and eggs.

And drowning your sorrows in a pub will also hit you in the hip pocket. At $2.86 a time, a 285ml glass of full-strength beer is by far the most expensive in any Australian capital city. Sydney drinkers pay just $2.04.

The Australian Bureau of Statistics released figures yesterday which charted average grocery prices for the three months to September.

They show the drought is starting to distort food prices with cheaper steak, lamb and sausages but dearer tomatoes and potatoes. Meat prices fell as farmers found it more feasible to slaughter sheep and cattle than to feed them.

Sydney had the dearest rump steak at $15.27kg but this was down from $15.48 in the June quarter.

Perth had the most expensive T-bone steak at $16.93kg, down from $17 previously.

It also had the most expensive lamb chops ($13.35kg from $13.37 previously) and sausages ($7.12kg from $7.34).

Despite falls in the past three months, Perth meat prices have risen sharply over the past year.

Rump steak leapt 11.4 per cent, to $15.14kg, while the price of chuck steak jumped 13.4 per cent to $9.42.

Potatoes were dearest in Brisbane ($1.76 from $1.54) while tomatoes were most expensive in Darwin at $4.41kg.

Perth's oranges, at $2.48kg, and bananas ($3.85kg) were the most expensive in any State capital.

We also paid more for milk ($1.59 a litre) while Canberra consumers paid $1.40 and eggs ($3.45 a dozen) while Adelaide consumers paid $2.67.

Darwin residents, however, still paid the most in the country for petrol, cartons of beer, milk and cheese but enjoyed the cheapest sausages. The lowest average price for a carton of full-strength beer was in Canberra ($30.56) while Darwin and Hobart had the highest average price ($32.68), the survey found.
Old Nov 7th 2002, 4:31 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

I pay $8.99 for tomatoes (vine ripened)
Potatoes - 1.99 a kilo (so it's more again for the Brisbane area than you quoted)
can't say about the meat... I'm a vege
Mushrooms, I bought some last night and they were 7.99 a kilo!!

cucumber $2.89 !!!
But I have noticed a price rise since the drought

mind you, I used to live south side of Brisbane, and I swear the prices in Coles there were cheaper than Coles in North Brisbane ... different prices in the supermarkets in different areas of Brisbane... rip off!

cheers
Old Nov 8th 2002, 5:45 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Ceri
I pay $8.99 for tomatoes (vine ripened)
Potatoes - 1.99 a kilo (so it's more again for the Brisbane area than you quoted)
can't say about the meat... I'm a vege
Mushrooms, I bought some last night and they were 7.99 a kilo!!

cucumber $2.89 !!!
But I have noticed a price rise since the drought

mind you, I used to live south side of Brisbane, and I swear the prices in Coles there were cheaper than Coles in North Brisbane ... different prices in the supermarkets in different areas of Brisbane... rip off!

cheers
Yes good tomatoes that have taste are dearer , these quoted may be the big red buggers that are good for nothing.
All the prices seem cheap to me but its about getting cheapest price not best quality.