Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

EU banned airlines allowed to fly Perth - Bali

EU banned airlines allowed to fly Perth - Bali

Old Jul 29th 2010, 1:33 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EU banned airlines allowed to fly Perth - Bali

Originally Posted by jimbo_d
Nothing wrong with Garuda for international flights, they have to maintain safety standards and inspections to ISO. It's the internal ones I wouldn't take.
In the late 90's I used play golf with a guy who leased the aircraft to Garuda. He used to go to Jakarta roughly monthly and could fly Garuda First Class for free - except his company banned their staff from doing this due to falsified maintenance records.
I would sincerely hope its different now - bit I doubt anything will make me try it.
Old Jul 30th 2010, 3:49 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hoofie2002
I'm at a bit of a loss to understand why the authorities would allow airlines banned from European Airspace to fly into Australia.
Do you know why those airlines are not allowed to fly to the EU? 'cos finding that out might be a good place to start if you're really that concerned about it and don't understand the decision.

But FYI it wasn't the individual airlines that were banned, it was all airlines from Indonesia because of poor oversight by the Indonesian regulatory authorities. Then individual airlines were able to get themselves off the blacklist if they proved to the EU that certain things were happening - but if you have never flown and have no intention of flying to the EU, there's no big reason to get yourself off the blacklist, is there? It's a bit like me banning you from driving in North-Western Kenya if you've never even been there.

The article is inaccurate anyway - Mandala is not on the blacklist. I wonder who might benefit from inserting an inaccurate, misleading and foreigner-bashing story like this into the paper. Could it be...the local airlines and the unions whose workers service them, perhaps?

http://europa.eu/rapid/pressReleases...nce=IP/09/1136
http://europa.eu/rapid/pressReleases...=0&language=en
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...nion#Indonesia

Originally Posted by Kalenge
These budget Indonesian airlines have poor safety records and 2nd rate pilots. Saving a couple hundred dollars for a holiday just isn't worth it.
Give me a break. The average package holidaymaker to Bali is going to spend two weeks drinking litres of alcohol, eating dodgy meats, riding scooters, swimming in the sea and hanging around with friends, all of which are much more likely to cause injury or death than flying on any plane. In fact, the drive from your home to your local airport is more dangerous than flying any Indonesian airline.

Last edited by lapin_windstar; Jul 30th 2010 at 3:57 pm.
Old Jul 30th 2010, 4:08 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
Do you know why those airlines are not allowed to fly to the EU? 'cos finding that out might be a good place to start if you're really that concerned about it and don't understand the decision.

But FYI it wasn't the individual airlines that were banned, it was all airlines from Indonesia because of poor oversight by the Indonesian regulatory authorities. Then individual airlines were able to get themselves off the blacklist if they proved to the EU that certain things were happening - but if you have never flown and have no intention of flying to the EU, there's no big reason to get yourself off the blacklist, is there? It's a bit like me banning you from driving in North-Western Kenya if you've never even been there.

The article is inaccurate anyway - Mandala is not on the blacklist. I wonder who might benefit from inserting an inaccurate, misleading and foreigner-bashing story like this into the paper. Could it be...the local airlines and the unions whose workers service them, perhaps?

http://europa.eu/rapid/pressReleases...nce=IP/09/1136
http://europa.eu/rapid/pressReleases...=0&language=en
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...nion#Indonesia

Give me a break. The average package holidaymaker to Bali is going to spend two weeks drinking litres of alcohol, eating dodgy meats, riding scooters, swimming in the sea and hanging around with friends, all of which are much more likely to cause injury or death than flying on any plane. In fact, the drive from your home to your local airport is more dangerous than flying any Indonesian airline.
The CAA controls permission to fly in UK airspace - have a read of this link - http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?ca...90&pageid=6220
Old Jul 31st 2010, 12:18 am

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

What's that got to do with the price of fish?
Old Jul 31st 2010, 1:42 am
ABCDiamond

I am wondering why the Deraya Air Taxi is banned from flying Indonesia to Europe.

Their type of plane looks OK...

The same style of plane is used in the UK, not sure the UK would allow them to fly to Asia though

Old Jul 31st 2010, 4:17 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
What's that got to do with the price of fish?
If you mean my post, you asked
" Do you know why those airlines are not allowed to fly to the EU? 'cos finding that out might be a good place to start if you're really that concerned about it and don't understand the decision."

The link I posted takes you to:
Banned or Restricted Air Carriers
This page gives directions to information on banned or restricted air carriers
European Community list of banned or restricted air carriers

Regulation (EC) No. 2111/2005 came in to force in January 2006, establishing a Community list of air carriers subject to an operating ban within the Community. It also requires that passengers be informed of the identity of the air carrier operating their flight.

In March 2006 the Commission published an initial list of airlines considered to be unsafe and which are therefore not permitted to fly passengers or cargo in the EU or operate within European airspace. This list will be updated at least every 3 months.

The current list, and further related information, can be found on the European Commission website at:

http://ec.europa.eu/transport/air-ban/

You may not want to read it but other might

And it may affect the price of fish if the fish have to use a more expensive airline due to their normal one being on the banned list.....
Old Jul 31st 2010, 1:43 pm

But that's... never mind.
Old Aug 1st 2010, 4:52 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I am wondering why the Deraya Air Taxi is banned from flying Indonesia to Europe.

Their type of plane looks OK...

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_hj8k2cqkmsQ/TF...I/short330.jpg
The same style of plane is used in the UK, not sure the UK would allow them to fly to Asia though
It's a british designed and built (in Belfast) plane - a Short 330.
Old Aug 1st 2010, 6:10 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Amazulu
It's a british designed and built (in Belfast) plane - a Short 330.
I wonder what the 'long' one was like ?

Don't worry I know (used to live in Rochester)