Reload this Page >

Estimating cubic footage

Estimating cubic footage

Old Aug 13th 2003, 4:13 pm
Just Joined

chefissac is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Estimating cubic footage

Hi all

We have had three removal companies round so far. John Masons estimated 863 cubic feet, Pickfords estimated 1350 cubic feet and Bishops Move didn't put the volume on their quote. My question is, how can 2 estimates vary so much and which one do we believe? Any ideas?

Garry
Old Aug 13th 2003, 4:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Ours varied a lot as well.
From 850 to 1400 !!
We had 5 companies around and 3 of them said about the same, so we reckon it will just about fit into the 20ft container (1050cft)

If I were you I would ring Bishops move and get their cubic ft estimate. Also book another couple of companies for quotes. We found PSS were the cheapest by £200, but John Mason are getting back to me on whether they will match the quote.

Anglo Pacific were by far the most expensive.
Old Aug 13th 2003, 4:24 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Estimating cubic footage

Originally posted by chefissac
Hi all

We have had three removal companies round so far. John Masons estimated 863 cubic feet, Pickfords estimated 1350 cubic feet and Bishops Move didn't put the volume on their quote. My question is, how can 2 estimates vary so much and which one do we believe? Any ideas?

Garry
Containers - full or part load, door to door or depends where the other part is going?

Start with cost...ask if you don't fill it...can you add more.

If you have named everything you want to take and it overfills the container cost they quote.....what next?

put the onus back on them to tell you what cubic feet means container/cost wise. If you do not understand what they are gabbing about ask them to explain. It should be their job to give you the full information. A cubic foot means nothing to me - I paid for a 40ft container..meaning I wanted my whole household goods in and some room for extra. Most posts as I have read on here get most in on a 20ft container. Ask the people who quote what it means and what room you have when changing your mind

Cheers Sandra

Last edited by Sandra; Aug 13th 2003 at 4:26 pm.
Old Aug 14th 2003, 6:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jolyn is an unknown quantity at this point

Ask them what their price is for a 20 foot or 40 foot whole container and then their price for 'groupage' (shared container) per cubit foot.

The volume is whatever it works out to be - not what they guess it to be! So the price per container or cubic foot is the thing to compare.

We're sending a 20 foot container plus about 300 cubic foot groupage (cheaper than a 40 foot container). Plus some boxes airfreight. Groupage takes a extra couple of weeks so need to prioritise.

In our case all stuff for guest room and all stuff currently in the lofts can come groupage - we don't need it now so we hardly need it quickly in Oz! From our previous experience it's quite handy to have stuff arrive in three lots: air freight, container, groupage. Not too many boxes to deal with at once.
Old Aug 14th 2003, 7:09 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Estimating cubic footage

Hi all

Garry
i would seriously ,question their industry, knowledge? if any..try doing some on line quotes, excess, interpack, most companys do this , one thing to remember , 6 teachests or equivalant size cartons are 1cu metre , a 20ft cont is about 1100 cuft /35cu metres.............. MM
Old Aug 14th 2003, 7:37 pm
Just Joined

chefissac is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all
Well I found out that Bishops Move estimated a volume of 1600 cubic feet, which is twice as much as John Masons estimated!!!???
I did a quick measure up myself and I think that the Pickfords estimate of 1350 cubic feet is nearer the mark, unfortunately there quote is the most expensive at £5438 for a sole use 40ft container. Bishops Move quoted £4690 for a sole use container though this doesn't include customs charges and also there insurance doesn't seem very good as it's not new for old. I'm still baffled and wondering which to choose.

Garry
Old Aug 14th 2003, 9:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of

Garry

Please note that shipping insurance is not restricted to the one the company pushes !
Ring a couple of insurance companies yourself, here's 2 I tried

Sweeney & Co. 0208 4647444 ask for Steve or Stewart

Copeland Insurance 0208 6562544

Barter with them and tell them what kind of cover you really require.

Not a post that the removal companies will like as they lose out on commission but with what they charge they'll still be in profit
Old Aug 15th 2003, 9:02 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Rossi
Garry

Please note that shipping insurance is not restricted to the one the company pushes !
Ring a couple of insurance companies yourself, here's 2 I tried

Sweeney & Co. 0208 4647444 ask for Steve or Stewart

Copeland Insurance 0208 6562544

Barter with them and tell them what kind of cover you really require.

Not a post that the removal companies will like as they lose out on commission but with what they charge they'll still be in profit
A word of warning ,i have said a hundred times ,Most removal companys are SELF insurers they pool insurance money ,what dosent get paid out over the year , go,es in the profits. No insurance company in its right mind would touch ,a removal company. the insurance companys will fight like hell to avoid a pay out, were as the removalists have budgeted for some possible pay out............... MM
Old Aug 15th 2003, 9:06 am
Bubble blowing member

ohsohopeful is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by tinaj
Ours varied a lot as well.
From 850 to 1400 !!
We had 5 companies around and 3 of them said about the same, so we reckon it will just about fit into the 20ft container (1050cft)

If I were you I would ring Bishops move and get their cubic ft estimate. Also book another couple of companies for quotes. We found PSS were the cheapest by £200, but John Mason are getting back to me on whether they will match the quote.

Anglo Pacific were by far the most expensive.
That's intersting to hear, TinaJ. We're about to go with PSS and John Mason have just come back and pretty much matched their quote this morning. However, we've also got one last survey today from Anglo Pacific. I won't hold my breath about their rates then!

Cheers for the info
Old Aug 15th 2003, 10:02 am
Forum Regular

suffolkdiva is an unknown quantity at this point

Wee all you guys are a step ahead of us

We accepted an offer on the house on Sat, to a family with no chain who wants to move in mid Sept! Good news, but aaaaargh for stress levels.

I have only been able to get Pickfords and a local overseas removal company to come out to us. All the others that I rang up, were all very pleased to talk but as soon as I said we lived in Suffolk didn't want to know. Apparantly, nobody ever comes out as far as that!! Considering we are only 100miles from London, I thought that was a bit of a cop out. Also others wanted a good 3 months (which we haven't got) to get things organised.

Oh well, have to see what the ones that are coming have to say.

Had my moan for the day
Old Aug 15th 2003, 10:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Jolyn is an unknown quantity at this point

I did a quick measure up myself and I think that the Pickfords estimate of 1350 cubic feet is nearer the mark, unfortunately there quote is the most expensive at £5438 for a sole use 40ft container.
For around 1350 cu ft I would send a 20 ft container (takes around 1000-1100 cu ft) and 300 cu ft groupage.

Doree Bonner's reduced quote for this was £4320 (£3350+£971).
Excess Co quote was £3970 (£3040+£930).
Both quotes include packing, door-to-door service and all charges except insurance.

Haven't seen the Excess bod round here yet so can't comment on their efficiency. Doree were fine last move to Oz.
Old Aug 15th 2003, 11:49 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Originally posted by ohsohopeful
That's intersting to hear, TinaJ. We're about to go with PSS and John Mason have just come back and pretty much matched their quote this morning. However, we've also got one last survey today from Anglo Pacific. I won't hold my breath about their rates then!

Cheers for the info
Anglo told me up front that they were more expensive than PSS.

We have told John Mason about the lower price and they have agreed to lower their quote to almost match it. Their assessor was excellent and they have kept in touch with us so I think we will go with them.
It is worth trying to barter a slightly lower price though.