Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Estimated time for applications to NZ

Estimated time for applications to NZ

Old Dec 30th 2003, 10:54 pm
JoB
Off to middle earth

JoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to all
Default Estimated time for applications to NZ

Hi there all,

I'm not new to this forum just very shy, but am opening up a little (I think the Christmas booze is helping). Anyway does anyone know what the average time for applications take for PR in NZ. Or is there an average time??

Ta

Jo
Old Dec 30th 2003, 11:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

sofistek is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Estimated time for applications to NZ

Originally posted by JoB
Hi there all,

I'm not new to this forum just very shy, but am opening up a little (I think the Christmas booze is helping). Anyway does anyone know what the average time for applications take for PR in NZ. Or is there an average time??

Ta

Jo
It depends on whether you've already applied or not, Jo. If you have already applied and included a job offer, then it should only take a few weeks but may take a couple of months. If you didn't include a job offer (which means you applied before July) then your application might not be considered for several more months (unless you add a job offer). If you're just thinking of applying, then you have to go through the new process of submitting an expression of interest and keeping your fingers crossed for up to 3 months, hoping to get invited to apply for residence. I think it should then be fairly quick.

All of this doesn't include preparation time.
Old Dec 30th 2003, 11:23 pm
JoB
Off to middle earth

JoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to all

Thanks Tony,

The new system has thrown us. We had enough points with the old one, hubby has brother there etc, but the new system is taking a bit to get my head around I have had a look on the Immigration site but it just isn't sinking in yet. We aren't looking for jobs yet as hubby is taking his LV/HV training (electrical). He is an electrician by trade and would find a job probably with little difficultly but he is now into the High Voltage stuff therefore limited jobs in that side of the industry. His training should finish in about 18 months we can't put a difinative time on it as some of it is on job training, but are maybe thinking should we apply now, ready for 2005. We are planning a trip next Christmas hopefully to secure employment.

Thanks again

Jo
Old Dec 30th 2003, 11:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by JoB
maybe thinking should we apply now, ready for 2005. We are planning a trip next Christmas hopefully to secure employment.
You need to check the new scheme closely. It wouldn't work very well for me so I haven't examined it in detail. However, from what I have read, your expression of interest only stays in the pool for 3 months (usually). If you don't get selected to be invited to apply, by then, your expression is removed and I guess you'd have to apply again, with another hefty fee. So, if your hubby is unlikely to be able to find work until next Christmas, it's probably better to wait until then, or maybe later (I don't think the turn of the year is a great time to look for a job).

If you had enough points, without a job offer, under the old scheme then I would guess you'd have enough under the new scheme, even though the points are worked out differently. You should check, though, that you don't need a job offer to get enough points.

But, job or no job, I think you still get only 3 months in the pool and have to hope to be selected.
Old Dec 30th 2003, 11:52 pm
JoB
Off to middle earth

Thanks Tony,

I've just been checking out the immigration web site. On the EOI form you have to put your employers details. Which my husband doesn't want to do as if they get wind of his intention then they may not provide im with the training he has been after for 5 years. To be Low Voltage and High Voltage authorised is very difficult so he doesn't want this jeapordised. Your advice to wait to apply for jobs I think is sound, we are going over in Dec/Jan next year so that maybe a good time.

I think I've just been waiting for so long now................I am sure it will come soon when the time is right though.

Cheers

Jo

ps where are you going/staying
Old Dec 31st 2003, 8:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by JoB
ps where are you going/staying
Almost wherever I can get a job! The most likely is around Auckland but Wellington and Christchurch are also possibilities, as is any major conurbation, such as Hamilton.

Did you check your points again, for the new system?
Old Dec 31st 2003, 3:04 pm
JoB
Off to middle earth

Yep I think we have about 115 without a job offer. So we may be ok.

I will only send in the EOI form probably at the end of the year. This gives us time to find out as much as poss.

We have some friends who are emigrating this Jan, we only found out in Dec as we had lost touch for a while.

Amazing we could all have been at the other side of the world and never known it. He is a Diesel Fitter so comes under the POL. So has a number of jobs offers and is deciding which one to take. That's a nice position to be in.

But at least we will have a number of contacts before we go.

When are you planning to get there Tony?

Jo
Old Dec 31st 2003, 3:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by JoB
Yep I think we have about 115 without a job offer. So we may be ok.
That's fantastic, Jo. If that's without the extra qualification also, then you should be able to submit an EOI as soon as your partner has gained the qualification. If you're selected, then you'd presumably have a good length of time to get over there and find work. Of course, finding work before submitting an EOI would give you even more points, which might improve your selection prospects (though I don't know what criteria is used to select candidates).
When are you planning to get there Tony?
Well, I'm planning to go in March, this year, to find the job I need to get out there permanently. If all goes well, I won't be coming back, other than to get the rest of the family over.