Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Escaping the high prices of Perth to Sydney

Escaping the high prices of Perth to Sydney

Old Jan 14th 2007, 12:21 am
Just Joined

DEXTER99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Escaping the high prices of Perth to Sydney

My family and I have been living in Perth for more than two years. We didn't buy a property (oh how I wish I could go back two years!) but the prices here are now out of control, from houses to limes!
In a bid to escape the escalating prices, we are looking to move to Sydney where the house prices are more realistic against the salaries available.

Can someone in Sydney help?

I am trying to calculate an 'average' month for general expenses, can someone please clarify if the following are realistic for an average northern suburb in Sydney.

(For a family of four - two adults, two children (7 and 2).
All show as monthly values:
Groceries: $1000.00
Electricity: $40.00
Telephone: $50.00 (Local calls, excluding international calls)
Foxtel: $80.00
Petrol: $270.00
Gas: $40.00
Water Rates: $40.00
Local Rates: $110.00
Car Insurance: $40.00
Car Maintenance/Licences: 50.00
House: Contents Insurance: 35.00
House: Buildings Insurance: 25.00
Road Tolls: ??

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old Jan 14th 2007, 4:49 am
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Escaping the high prices of Perth to Sydney

Originally Posted by DEXTER99
My family and I have been living in Perth for more than two years. We didn't buy a property (oh how I wish I could go back two years!) but the prices here are now out of control, from houses to limes!
In a bid to escape the escalating prices, we are looking to move to Sydney where the house prices are more realistic against the salaries available.

I am trying to calculate an 'average' month for general expenses, can someone please clarify if the following are realistic for an average northern suburb in Sydney.

Thanks.
Looks pretty spot on to me - I would possibly increase gas & elec to maybe $60/$70 each.

House prices however are WAY over the top - if you're in a well paid job then you might be ok but for us buying is a No No!

Good luck with whatever you decide to do
Old Jan 14th 2007, 6:01 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks.

What makes you think that Sydney, which for years has had the highest cost for housing, amentities, fuel, food etc, is going to be any better?
Old Jan 14th 2007, 6:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold

Thanks.
I have always understood that Sydney was much more expensive than Perth !!!!!! is it because Perth is going through a boom at present,that the homes have risen so much?
Old Jan 14th 2007, 7:44 am
Just Joined

DEXTER99 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Rach for confirmation on the figures.

In response to the later questions:

I work one week a month in Sydney and so have been doing some research. Did you read the article in 'The West' last week, 'Perth pays dearly for boom times' (http://thewest.com.au/default.aspx?M...ntentID=18416).
It talks about prices rising 9.1% since Sept 04, where Sydney has raised by 6.8%. Also restaurant prices were up 5% over Sydney, and I can confirm this as we went to 'On the Beach' in Freo, and found the prices to be the same if not more than restaurants over looking Circular Key in Sydney.

If you also look on Realestate.com.au at the price of land.
As an example: 350m2 in Scarborough, WA is going for 380K and Beacon Hill, NSW 554m2 for 380K !

(Both close to the beach and approx. 10kms out of the city).

In the two years we have been living here, we have found general prices to be increasing month on month to the point where I feel people of Perth are being royally ripped off, and I don't really want to be a victim.

Don't get me wrong, I do like Perth and our children are really happy here, but the cost of living just doesn't stack up.
We have lived in NYC and London so the move to Sydney would not come as a big shock move to the city, and as prices continue over here it's getting more tempting by the day.