Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Children born outside UK

Children born outside UK

Old Jan 12th 2007, 10:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Stephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Children born outside UK

If both parents are UK citizens (born in UK) with passports and they have kids outside the UK, say Australia or Ireland etc etc....are their kids born outside the UK entitled to get a UK passport?
Old Jan 12th 2007, 10:53 am
sullysdownunder

wayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Children born outside UK

Originally Posted by Stephen
If both parents are UK citizens (born in UK) with passports and they have kids outside the UK, say Australia or Ireland etc etc....are their kids born outside the UK entitled to get a UK passport?
i was born in Australia and my parents are both from the uk and i have a uk passport and a Australia passport

hope that helps
Old Jan 12th 2007, 10:57 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I have always been under the impression that Ireland was part of the UK?
Pardon me, just dumb Aussie.
Old Jan 12th 2007, 10:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Stephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wayne/kerrie
i was born in Australia and my parents are both from the uk and i have a uk passport and a Australia passport

hope that helps
"From 1983

A child born outside the UK on or after 1 January 1983 will automatically acquire British citizenship by descent if either parent is a British citizen otherwise than by descent at the time of the birth."

Thanks just found it on wikipedia.

Cheers
Old Jan 12th 2007, 11:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by The Bloke
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I have always been under the impression that Ireland was part of the UK?
lol

I would take cover if I were you!

Old Jan 12th 2007, 11:16 am
BE Enthusiast

njk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of light

lol

I would take cover if I were you!

I think it's called The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland mate.

There was a bit of a kerfuffle round about 1916 in Dublin and it kind of got nasty for about 5 years then Ireland split (6 Dec 1921)
Old Jan 13th 2007, 10:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

Yes if either the mother or father are British.

Our baby is due in a couple of weeks, and I have been trawling through the UK passport agency for info. This directed me to British High Commission website - I have downloaded all the forms and it looks pretty straightforward....well apart from providing 2 utility bills in a newborn's name!

Bub will be registered as both British and Australian, which is acceptable.
Old Jan 13th 2007, 11:09 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Bloke
There is Northern Ireland which is indeed part of the UK and then there is "Ireland" which is a country by itself. They tend to get a bit touchy if you say they are part of the UK.

Gina
Old Jan 13th 2007, 11:17 am
Where's the factor 30.

Mid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by njk435
I think it's called The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland mate.

There was a bit of a kerfuffle round about 1916 in Dublin and it kind of got nasty for about 5 years then Ireland split (6 Dec 1921)
Lol only nasty for 5 years ? I think you left out a digit in front of the 5 mate.
Old Jan 13th 2007, 11:28 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Children born outside UK

"From 1983

A child born outside the UK on or after 1 January 1983 will automatically acquire British citizenship by descent if either parent is a British citizen otherwise than by descent at the time of the birth."

Thanks just found it on wikipedia.

Cheers
Nevertheless, there is still hope for children born before 1983!

I was born in Australia (1973) to an Australian citizen (my mother) and a Pom (my father).

When I came to the UK, I found that I was able to apply for British citizenship by descent (which I did early last year).

I now have British citizenship and a nice shiny UK passport.
Old Jan 13th 2007, 12:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Wow my oldest daughter sneaks in by 3 months. I didn't realise there was a 1983 startup on this.

My 2nd Daughter is now taking full advantage of her dual citizenship, after being born here, in Aus in 1985, raised and schooled here. She is now residing in the UK, with UK passport in her hand. Living life as a Londoner, with her eye on the property market in the Camdon area.
Old Jan 13th 2007, 12:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

clougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, my baby was born in Oct and I got both UK and Aus passports straight away. I read somewhere to do it asap so that if the rules change in the future he is already a dual citizen. The British High Commission website has passport forms and although it says to send a birth certificate and also a letter from a school or something to prove the child's ID, obviously you can't get this for a newborn so I just sent my UK passport along with his birth certificate and my driving licence (it asks for parents ID) and got his UK passport within a couple of weeks. He is 3 mths old and has cost me a fortune in passports already! By the way, you can fill in the Aus one online and take it to the post office and they check all your docs and send it off. I did this and then posted the originals to British High Commission on the same day and got both passports within a few weeks. If you go to a photo place to get the photos take a white sheet to lay the baby on as it has to be a white background and it's a bit of a struggle as they have to have their eyes open, he was only a couple of weeks old so had to poke him a bit! (Only joking!)

Hope this helps

Jo
Old Jan 13th 2007, 2:13 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pomster
Yes if either the mother or father are British.
No, this is NOT enough.

One parent normally must also be born or naturalised in the United Kingdom.
Old Jan 14th 2007, 7:14 am
BE Enthusiast

JohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Stephen

I'm Irish, Husband English and our eldest daughter was born in the UK. We moved back to Ireland when she was three and she has an Irish passport. We did have to fill in some other forms, etc. I think it has something to do with either parent/s and/or grandparents from that same country. So, to answer your question, I would say that if a child's parents are both from the UK, they are entitled to a UK passport. Having said that, maybe that's only if the child resides in the UK? Anyway, hope that helps. Michelle x
Old Jan 14th 2007, 7:25 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JohnandMichelle
Having said that, maybe that's only if the child resides in the UK?
No such restriction if a parent is UK born or naturalised.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.