Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

ePetition against Frozen Pension Policy

ePetition against Frozen Pension Policy

Old Jul 31st 2012, 1:19 pm
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ePetition against Frozen Pension Policy

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
1) How did you get to the conclusion that the rich retire in the US and Caribbean, and the poor/the masses retire in Australia, Canada and NZ? False premise #1.

2) It is not true that all Caribbean countries are unfrozen: T&T, St Lucia, Dominica, St Vincent & Grenadines, St Kitts & Nevis, Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Monserrat, US VI, BVI, Netherlands Antilles, Dominican Republic, Turks & Caicos, Barbuda are all frozen. False premise #2. (Source: http://www.pension100.co.uk/expatpen...frozen2007.htm - correct me if those are wrong).

3) It is not true that all wealthy countries are unfrozen: Monaco, Andorra, San Marino and the richer places in 2) are all frozen. False premise #3.

4) Frankly, I think you're way overstating the importance of the unfrozen margin of the state pension to the top hat-wearing, monocle-overpeering clique of Old Etonians that now runs the UK to imagine they care enough to create an elaborate scheme for the purpose of benefitting themselves. To anyone that has the wealth and power to covertly influence policymaking to that minute a degree wouldn't be worrying about those size sums.
Just because not all Caribbean islands are unfrozen (and I never claimed they were) means nothing at all. As long as there are certain places where the rich can retire and claim an unfrozen pension then the job is done. It is common knowledge that the Caribbean is a playground for the wealthy, as are certain USA destinations. It is also common knowledge that Canada and Australia are destinations for the massive bulk of British workers. Australia has over half of non-UK pensions for this reason, and it is due to this that British pensions in Australia will never be unfrozen. Those who set policy are not interested in extending to the masses that which they presume for themselves as even the most cursory reading of history reveals.
Old Aug 1st 2012, 10:26 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

So..."it's true because I say it is", then? Do you really think the illuminati are that bothered about an extra few quid a week on the state pension?

Last edited by lapin_windstar; Aug 1st 2012 at 10:33 am.
Old Aug 1st 2012, 11:11 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
So..."it's true because I say it is", then? Do you really think the illuminati are that bothered about an extra few quid a week on the state pension?
Let's say that if the British Government unfreeze pensions in Australia I'll admit my theory is wrong.
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 3:53 pm
Forum Regular

morge is just really nicemorge is just really nicemorge is just really nicemorge is just really nicemorge is just really nicemorge is just really nicemorge is just really nicemorge is just really nicemorge is just really nicemorge is just really nicemorge is just really nice

Originally Posted by Zen10
Just because not all Caribbean islands are unfrozen (and I never claimed they were) means nothing at all. As long as there are certain places where the rich can retire and claim an unfrozen pension then the job is done. It is common knowledge that the Caribbean is a playground for the wealthy, as are certain USA destinations. It is also common knowledge that Canada and Australia are destinations for the massive bulk of British workers. Australia has over half of non-UK pensions for this reason, and it is due to this that British pensions in Australia will never be unfrozen. Those who set policy are not interested in extending to the masses that which they presume for themselves as even the most cursory reading of history reveals.
Ther actually seems to be a load of bull by some on this thread. It matters not whether you are wealthy or relatively poor. During your working life you HAD to pay the National Insurance payments along with that of your employer. So having done so then all should receive the same treatment as they all entered under the same terms and conditions and should all benefit the same. It is not only the pensioner who is being ripped off but the employer because his payments are being abused as well. There are many articles appearing in the papers about this and many are from organisations like AgeUK and SAGA and they are not aware of the freezing or if they are then they are failing to show the whole picture when discussing pensions.
If you read one of these then I would suggest that you comment on the article and put them right. If you all wrote to the MP in your last constituency to complain then you would probably get the utterly incorrect statement that there is no reciprocal or bilateral agreement with the country and this is utter hogwash. No agreement is necessary. But write to him or her anyway and query the answer and keep on asking questions until they are fed up to the teeth. I have even questioned the staff at the Pensions Service about their part in misleading the pensioners with their replies to make them feel uncomfortable. It is up to the people to make a noise and only then will we get justice. Do it today - we have waited for this immoral and unjust freezing to be abandoned for too long.

Last edited by morge; Aug 3rd 2012 at 3:56 pm.
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 10:14 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by morge
Ther actually seems to be a load of bull by some on this thread. It matters not whether you are wealthy or relatively poor. During your working life you HAD to pay the National Insurance payments along with that of your employer. So having done so then all should receive the same treatment as they all entered under the same terms and conditions and should all benefit the same. It is not only the pensioner who is being ripped off but the employer because his payments are being abused as well. There are many articles appearing in the papers about this and many are from organisations like AgeUK and SAGA and they are not aware of the freezing or if they are then they are failing to show the whole picture when discussing pensions.
If you read one of these then I would suggest that you comment on the article and put them right. If you all wrote to the MP in your last constituency to complain then you would probably get the utterly incorrect statement that there is no reciprocal or bilateral agreement with the country and this is utter hogwash. No agreement is necessary. But write to him or her anyway and query the answer and keep on asking questions until they are fed up to the teeth. I have even questioned the staff at the Pensions Service about their part in misleading the pensioners with their replies to make them feel uncomfortable. It is up to the people to make a noise and only then will we get justice. Do it today - we have waited for this immoral and unjust freezing to be abandoned for too long.
It is disgraceful, I quite agree, and yes, it constitutes a kind of theft really. I'm not confident at all about it being changed though - think of the expense and they just don't give a crap or they would have sorted this years ago.
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 11:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

When you're working, you pay tax/NI for current pensioners not for your future pension fund. People who then decide to live in a different country should feel lucky that they get any government benefit from their former country of residence. A pension, the way it's currently set up, is really no different to any other kind of government benefit.
Old Aug 4th 2012, 12:36 am
Forum Regular

morge is just really nicemorge is just really nicemorge is just really nicemorge is just really nicemorge is just really nicemorge is just really nicemorge is just really nicemorge is just really nicemorge is just really nicemorge is just really nicemorge is just really nice

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
When you're working, you pay tax/NI for current pensioners not for your future pension fund. People who then decide to live in a different country should feel lucky that they get any government benefit from their former country of residence. A pension, the way it's currently set up, is really no different to any other kind of government benefit.
Here we go - more bull ! Where did you get that idea from - Oh I know Steve Webb obviously. Don't believe all that the DWP tell you.
Ok, tell me how the pension scheme (NI) started then and how did it manage to get to a surplus figure of 40 billion pounds today ? This figure did'nt happen overnight through the influence of the fairies. I suppose you will question that figure. You can't start a scheme with no money and so where did it come from - the taxpayers of course because the government does'nt have any money - whatever they have is your money and my money.
So tell me this : If you receive a pension in Australia and then retire to say Singapore will you get the annual uprating ?

Last edited by morge; Aug 4th 2012 at 12:41 am.
Old Aug 4th 2012, 12:41 am
Forum Regular

That should read if you receive an Autralian government pension will you get the annual uprating ?
Old Aug 4th 2012, 12:45 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Rubbish.

Over the years the government (of all colours) comes up with a reason why they can't (won't) index all pensions, and as each "reason" is comprehensively shown to be false they change to another "reason".

Why people in the USA or Philippines for example should be indexed when those in South Africa or Canada are not escapes me. The arguments are so tortuous and inconsistent it makes my head hurt, but the fact of the matter is that everyone pays in and only some get the full benefit, such as it is.

Issues such as "not paying taxes in retirement" and "not paying VAT" are easily countered when you think of the cost of health services to older - retired - people. I myself have spent tens of thousands of dollars on medical bills since emigrating, most of which would have been on the NHS.
Old Aug 4th 2012, 5:28 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

So tell me this : IPf you receive a pension in Australia and then retire to say Singapore will you get the annual uprating ?
Not clear if you're referring to an Australian age pension or UK state pension. If its an Australian age pension, it would stop after a little while due to residence requirements.

Haven't a clue who Steve Webb is that you mentioned.
Old Aug 4th 2012, 5:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Wol
Over the years the government (of all colours) comes up with a reason why they can't (won't) index all pensions, and as each "reason" is comprehensively shown to be false they change to another "reason".

Why people in the USA or Philippines for example should be indexed when those in South Africa or Canada are not escapes me. The arguments are so tortuous and inconsistent it makes my head hurt, but the fact of the matter is that everyone pays in and only some get the full benefit, such as it is.
I agree it's inconsistent, much better to not pay any benefits to people living in a different country. Second best would be to freeze no matter which country they live in, which would make it fairer to all those receiving it outside of the benefit paying country.
Old Aug 4th 2012, 10:24 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

OK, I'll repeat what I said in post #85

What some people fail to realise is that's it's not just the basic UK state pension which is frozen. It was compulsory to contribute to a company or private pension if you earned enough. If your company didnot provide a pension you had to contribute to the government scheme (SERPS) in addition to normal NI contributions. It was supposed to be the equivalent of a private pension. This also gets frozen, so you lose out on your 'top-up' pension as well.

As far as I'm concerned those SERPS contributions were supposed to be MY top-up pension, "as good as offered by the private sector", they said.

The average NHS costs of a pensioner in the UK are £7000 per annum. I'm here on a temporary visa but am not entitled to any reciprocal Medicare entitlements. All my healthcare is paid for privately. I knew this was so before I came and accepted it as a condition, but freezing my pension is breaking a contract which I was legally obliged to enter.
Old Aug 10th 2012, 11:22 pm
NEO LIVES

CORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of light

If you still have the right to vote in the uk elections...could everyone register and vote for one particular party..?? There must be a quite a few offshore voters out there.
Old Aug 11th 2012, 6:39 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Sure, but the overseas voters are dispersed across hundreds of constituencies.

Originally Posted by Wol
Why people in the USA or Philippines for example should be indexed when those in South Africa or Canada are not escapes me. .
You don't know the reasons or you don't think they're good ones?
Old Aug 11th 2012, 7:19 am
NEO LIVES

CORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of light

Are teachers pensions frozen when you leave...??
Also what's the best way to get your monthly/ weekly pension to Australia without loosing too much along the way.?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.