Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

ePetition against Frozen Pension Policy

ePetition against Frozen Pension Policy

Old Jan 19th 2012, 5:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

jerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond repute
Default link to e-petition for frozen UK pensions

Hi
the link to the e petition

sign if you can

it's your pension....

cheers
Jerry

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/16387

quote :-

END THE UNFAIR FROZEN OVERSEAS PENSION POLICY

Responsible department: Department for Work and Pensions

Under regulation 3 of the Social Security Benefits Up-rating Regulations British pensioners who retire to any one of over 120 countries, mainly in the Commonwealth, have their rightful state pension frozen. Meanwhile, those who retire to other countries have their pension uprated annually, just as though they never left the UK. This discriminatory policy currently impacts on the lives of over half a million British pensioners and curtails the freedom of choice of all British pensioners in retirement. We call for this Government to heed the plea of the International Consortium of British Pensioners to repeal this Regulation.

Last edited by jerry brewer; Jan 19th 2012 at 5:25 pm.
Old Jan 19th 2012, 7:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

calliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nice
Default Re: link to e-petition for frozen UK pensions

Originally Posted by jerry brewer
Hi
the link to the e petition

sign if you can

it's your pension....

cheers
Jerry

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/16387

quote :-

END THE UNFAIR FROZEN OVERSEAS PENSION POLICY

Responsible department: Department for Work and Pensions

Under regulation 3 of the Social Security Benefits Up-rating Regulations British pensioners who retire to any one of over 120 countries, mainly in the Commonwealth, have their rightful state pension frozen. Meanwhile, those who retire to other countries have their pension uprated annually, just as though they never left the UK. This discriminatory policy currently impacts on the lives of over half a million British pensioners and curtails the freedom of choice of all British pensioners in retirement. We call for this Government to heed the plea of the International Consortium of British Pensioners to repeal this Regulation.
Outside Europe, if you look at many of the countries where they are not frozen they are places where the rich and mighty would retire like Channel Islands, USA, Bermuda. They always look after themselves.
Old Jan 19th 2012, 7:50 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ePetition against Frozen Pension Policy

Threads merged
Old Jan 19th 2012, 11:15 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I agree witht the UK government. In fact, I would freeze this pension for all countries outside the UK.
Old Jan 20th 2012, 2:39 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck with the e-petition. In a few years UK pensioners overseas will get nothing. The country is bankrupt.
Old Jan 20th 2012, 2:42 am
BE Enthusiast

calliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nice

Originally Posted by renth
Good luck with the e-petition. In a few years UK pensioners overseas will get nothing. The country is bankrupt.
I'm not all that certain UK pensioners in Britain will get anything in a few years.
Old Jan 20th 2012, 4:39 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I agree witht the UK government. In fact, I would freeze this pension for all countries outside the UK.
Entitled of course to your own opinion. But it seems perverse at the very least that some of us who contributed for decades into the UK are frozen purely because of our domicile, yet:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/poli...-the-dole.html
Old Jan 20th 2012, 4:43 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

I think a lot of people would say, okay, I've left the country, I'm lucky to get anything... but it's inherently unfair (I know, I know) that it depends which country you move to as to whether your pension is frozen or not.

The EU I can understand.. but the list of countries where it isn't frozen seems randomly bizarre.

It should either be frozen for all or for none of 'em.
Old Jan 20th 2012, 7:05 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamy
I think a lot of people would say, okay, I've left the country, I'm lucky to get anything... but it's inherently unfair (I know, I know) that it depends which country you move to as to whether your pension is frozen or not.

The EU I can understand.. but the list of countries where it isn't frozen seems randomly bizarre.

It should either be frozen for all or for none of 'em.
Wot she said.
Old Jan 20th 2012, 9:45 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

The bizarre thing is that if you defer claiming your pension the pension isn't frozen. When you do eventually claim it all the increases are included up to that date. The deferred sum is either paid as a lump sum or used to provide a higher (frozen) pension.

eg Pension is £100 a wk when you reach 65. Claim immediately and you get it frozen at £100 pw.
Defer until you are 70. By then the pension is £120pw.
You either take the lump sum (all your accumulated 5 years' worth plus interest) and get a pension of £120 pw
OR get an increased pension of about 50% extra pw, £180 pw frozen for life.
Old Jan 20th 2012, 8:50 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lesleys
The bizarre thing is that if you defer claiming your pension the pension isn't frozen. When you do eventually claim it all the increases are included up to that date. The deferred sum is either paid as a lump sum or used to provide a higher (frozen) pension.

eg Pension is £100 a wk when you reach 65. Claim immediately and you get it frozen at £100 pw.
Defer until you are 70. By then the pension is £120pw.
You either take the lump sum (all your accumulated 5 years' worth plus interest) and get a pension of £120 pw
OR get an increased pension of about 50% extra pw, £180 pw frozen for life.
That's very handy to know.
Old Jan 20th 2012, 10:28 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
That's very handy to know.
Yes, I wish I'd been aware of it before I started drawing my state pension.

Although it's logical really: after all, if you defer drawing it until you die the fund doesn't pay anything out (I'm using the word "fund" pretty loosely in this context ). And pro-rata.

In fact I think you are better off taking it when you can - a bird in the hand etc.
Old Jan 21st 2012, 12:48 am
BE Enthusiast

tomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
Yes, I wish I'd been aware of it before I started drawing my state pension.

Although it's logical really: after all, if you defer drawing it until you die the fund doesn't pay anything out (I'm using the word "fund" pretty loosely in this context ). And pro-rata.

In fact I think you are better off taking it when you can - a bird in the hand etc.
You must factor in how much you will loose by not claiming say 100pds a week for 5 years? Then how long you will have to live after 70 to make up for the loss of that income from the increase.
Also don't forget that every time you visit UK you can claim for the extra that your state pension would now be worth had you never left. Obviously it reverts to the lower rate on your return to OZ.
Before I was due to get my state pension, we paid in extra to make up my short fall to get an increased pension, from memory it was about 2000pds, and as long as I lived past 62 I would be in credit. I wasn't the main wage earner, and didn't work much after children. Luckily I am well past that now, so financially it paid off.
Feel sorry for everyone who now has to wait longer for the state pension.
Old Jan 21st 2012, 1:19 am
Just Joined

benreffell is an unknown quantity at this point

At least we'll get some, your pension will just end up in the pockets of the ANC!!!

And you won't be able to say anything cos it'll now come under the new "state secrets" law ..... the bok becomes the bitch of the ANC.
Old Jan 21st 2012, 4:47 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by benreffell
At least we'll get some, your pension will just end up in the pockets of the ANC!!!

And you won't be able to say anything cos it'll now come under the new "state secrets" law ..... the bok becomes the bitch of the ANC.

Who the f**k are you?

I left SA in 1993 and never intend to live there again. Since I sold my last property there 2 years ago, I have no assets or investments there. All my assets are in Australia, UK or offshore. I earn a fairly high income and reckon I will have a comfortable retirement.

Enjoy your frozen UK state (excuse of a) pension.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.