entitlemets

Old Feb 7th 2007, 3:21 am
Just Joined

Newbie13 is just really niceNewbie13 is just really niceNewbie13 is just really niceNewbie13 is just really niceNewbie13 is just really niceNewbie13 is just really niceNewbie13 is just really niceNewbie13 is just really nice
Default entitlemets

What are you entitled to when you are on a 457 temp visa??
Child allowance = no
day care = no
tax break = ??

I bought a water efficient washing machine and I am getting 200 bucks back
How much will I get for a water tank?
If I buy a house do I get the new owners grant?

Please share any entitlements you have recieved.
ta
Old Feb 7th 2007, 3:35 am
Full Throttle

stevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: entitlemets

Originally Posted by Newbie13
What are you entitled to when you are on a 457 temp visa??
Child allowance = no
day care = no
tax break = ??

I bought a water efficient washing machine and I am getting 200 bucks back
How much will I get for a water tank?
If I buy a house do I get the new owners grant?

Please share any entitlements you have recieved.
ta
  • Tax break - if your employer will do LAFHA, depending on your circumstances you can get a good chunk of salary tax free.
  • First home buyers grant - not a chance, as you are a temp resident.
  • If you want to buy on a 457, you have to get special approval before you can go ahead. Do you really want to own a house and risk having to leave the country within 28 days if your job falls through or your visa revoked?
  • Water Tank - will your landlord allow you to install one in a rental property? Do you really want to buy one, only to move house and it maybe not fit, or landlord not let you install it??
Basically, you get a good tax break if you get LAFHA, but otherwise as a temp resident, you get no other assistance.
Private health care will also cost you more, unless your sponsoring employer is willing to pay it for you..

Last edited by stevemich; Feb 7th 2007 at 3:51 am.
Old Feb 7th 2007, 3:51 am
Just Joined

Newbie13 is just really niceNewbie13 is just really niceNewbie13 is just really niceNewbie13 is just really niceNewbie13 is just really niceNewbie13 is just really niceNewbie13 is just really niceNewbie13 is just really nice

Sorry for my ignorance but what is LAFHA?
Old Feb 7th 2007, 4:02 am
Full Throttle

stevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond repute

Living Away From Home Allowance.

You get the cost of a "resonable rent" and a contribution toward food costs (depending on family circumstances) tax free.

In Sydney a reasonable rent for a 3 bed property on the lower north shore could easily be $650 a week, or $33,000 pa tax free - giving a good reason to get it.

Your employer has to be prepared to offer it though. It does not cost them anything, but some don't like the extra paperwork it involves.

Last edited by stevemich; Feb 7th 2007 at 4:24 am.
Old Feb 7th 2007, 4:02 am
BE Enthusiast

micmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to all

It's the living away from home allowance. You do get limited medical care under medicare as part of the reciprocal agreement.

Mx
Old Feb 7th 2007, 6:41 am
Account Closed

Dried Graze is an unknown quantity at this point

My admittedly limited knowledge tells me the the LAFHA needs to be negotiated as part of your employment contract. I don't know if it can be sorted retrospectively. We're on a 457 with Vic government and for some reason we're not entitled to it. Maybe it was something to do with us not planning to return ie no house etc in UK.
Old Feb 7th 2007, 8:01 am
Forum Regular

elfin is a name known to allelfin is a name known to allelfin is a name known to allelfin is a name known to allelfin is a name known to allelfin is a name known to allelfin is a name known to allelfin is a name known to allelfin is a name known to allelfin is a name known to allelfin is a name known to all

Where do you apply for a Washing Machine rebate then?

Elfin x
Old Feb 7th 2007, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

deb-n-rob2006 is a name known to alldeb-n-rob2006 is a name known to alldeb-n-rob2006 is a name known to alldeb-n-rob2006 is a name known to alldeb-n-rob2006 is a name known to alldeb-n-rob2006 is a name known to alldeb-n-rob2006 is a name known to alldeb-n-rob2006 is a name known to alldeb-n-rob2006 is a name known to alldeb-n-rob2006 is a name known to alldeb-n-rob2006 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by elfin
Where do you apply for a Washing Machine rebate then?

Elfin x
hi there,

we are moving out to oz on the 2nd march ,
we have a pr visa and my OH is a citizen, but has lived here with me for years now and has no idea what to claim when we get there or what we will be allowed. we have a 3 yr old and an 18 yrd . He will have work when he gets there , and my daughter will be looking as soon as we arive. i will have to look for work when we settle in after a while , i would like to relax a bit first.

what are we going to be entiltled to when we get there???
can we get child care assistance ?
rent assistance?

even though we only have a few weeks to go , i have really no idea ,even though i have been looking through every website.
REALLY confused

debs
Old Feb 7th 2007, 9:53 pm
Just Joined

I bought a new washing machine and the shop gave me the form for the rebate.

I think if you are on pr visa you are entitled to reduced day care, child allowance, first time home owners grant, school fees, medicare etc... I think some depened on your salary.
Old Feb 7th 2007, 11:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by deb-n-rob2006
hi there,

we are moving out to oz on the 2nd march ,
we have a pr visa and my OH is a citizen, but has lived here with me for years now and has no idea what to claim when we get there or what we will be allowed. we have a 3 yr old and an 18 yrd . He will have work when he gets there , and my daughter will be looking as soon as we arive. i will have to look for work when we settle in after a while , i would like to relax a bit first.

what are we going to be entiltled to when we get there???
can we get child care assistance ?
rent assistance?

even though we only have a few weeks to go , i have really no idea ,even though i have been looking through every website.
REALLY confused

debs
It's taken me 3 months to get our child allowance sorted but it's worth all the chasing, paperwork sending and it'll certainly make a difference, even with saving some for the children.

Husband's earnings aren't as much as UK and I'm not yet working but the back owed is over $3000 since our arrival in Oct 06. Which is good in my opinion! I couldn't find out how much it would be until we actually submitted all our paperwork.
Old Feb 8th 2007, 1:06 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by deb-n-rob2006

REALLY confused

debs
the best thing to do is stop worrying about it now and just pop down to centrelink when you arrive to register and they will go through anything you are entitled to