Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Enrollling your Kids at School

Enrollling your Kids at School

Old Jan 28th 2003, 3:38 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Enrolling your Kids at School

Does anyone on this forum know what the story is about getting your kids in to the local state school.

Do they have to take them if you are in their catchment area or is it all dependent on whether they have places available?

Rgds,

Dan

Last edited by renth; Jan 28th 2003 at 3:43 am.
Old Jan 28th 2003, 5:40 am
Forum Regular

Garland is on a distinguished road

Hi I have been trying to get get a grasp on the enroling system. From the little I know it is very much like here, sibling priority, catchment and 1st come 1st served. I was told by a couple of schools their kindy was full for this year and given the # of the education department who could advise of schools with spaces. Maybe as the years go up and the class sizes get bigger there is more chance of getting a place. Though I very much doubt they have to offer you a place, I'm sure they must all have their cut off for numbers. Private schools I have discovered have waiting lists years long..one was closed til 2008.
Sure you knew all this..seems like you have to be there to get a real understanding of it all and start seeing people face to face.
Old Jan 28th 2003, 7:44 am
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point

We put our childrens names on tthe wait list 18 months ago and hope to go later this year. They do say they have to leave a few places open for those moving into the area, but we don't want to take the risk.

Locally they have the name down as soon as the kids born.

Mash...

Originally posted by Garland
Hi I have been trying to get get a grasp on the enroling system. From the little I know it is very much like here, sibling priority, catchment and 1st come 1st served. I was told by a couple of schools their kindy was full for this year and given the # of the education department who could advise of schools with spaces. Maybe as the years go up and the class sizes get bigger there is more chance of getting a place. Though I very much doubt they have to offer you a place, I'm sure they must all have their cut off for numbers. Private schools I have discovered have waiting lists years long..one was closed til 2008.
Sure you knew all this..seems like you have to be there to get a real understanding of it all and start seeing people face to face.
Old Feb 3rd 2003, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

Finch is an unknown quantity at this point

Dan

If you live within the catchment area of the school they have to take you. I have had this confirmed by the WA education authority.

I did a recce in November, enrolled our kids in Carine SHS and Poynter Primary (Duncraig) and they started today!

I also have a list of school info I put together before my recce. Basically its a list of 5 Northern Suburbs SHS and about 7 or 8 primary within the same vicinity. If you want it PM me, or anybody else for that matter.

Finch
Old Feb 3rd 2003, 1:27 pm

cinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud of

Originally posted by mashiraz
We put our childrens names on tthe wait list 18 months ago and hope to go later this year. They do say they have to leave a few places open for those moving into the area, but we don't want to take the risk.

Locally they have the name down as soon as the kids born.

Mash...
Mash,

Where in Adelaide are you planning to live? Is this a primary school you are talking about?

Regards,

Cinderella
Old Feb 3rd 2003, 6:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point

North of Adelaide, Gawler.
That's where the school is (Trinity College) which takes kids all the way through their education).

We want to live around there anyway.
Mash..

Originally posted by cinderella
Mash,

Where in Adelaide are you planning to live? Is this a primary school you are talking about?

Regards,

Cinderella