Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Arriving without PR in passports??

Arriving without PR in passports??

Old Feb 3rd 2003, 10:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Grub is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Arriving without PR in passports??

Can anyone advise me. If we dont get our ever elusive visas in the passports before we leave UK and get to Perth what's the score? OK i know we will need a holiday visa but can I
a/ get medicare (as I am preggas)
b/ rent a house/ buy a house?
c/ how long do i have to validate?
d/ any other areas we would be disadvantaged without the almighty stamp?

Ta very muchly?
Old Feb 3rd 2003, 3:13 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Grub sorry to hear about your long wait.

I do not have answers to all your questions just some observations. Once we have all waited so long (I was a May 01 AH London) we do tend to think about alternative measures to beat the wait (We entered as visitors on temp 3 month visas and swopped to temp 457 through company sponsorship so we got to wait out 7 months before PR offer in Australia.

We now have to leave to validate and were advised we usually have to be out of the country for 5 working days to ensure you can arrange the transfer of the visa to your chosen destination (after you arrive there?) We have decided to come back to the UK for this process but I have heard of many people organising this effectively. You are supposed to inform AH London of your proposed Holiday plans to Aus because believe it or not if your London visa get granted before your application for temp travel we were warned we could be in a situation where one overrides the other - need a proper agent to translate this one maybe?

You get usually 12 months from your Police or Medical which ever is earlier (I have until the 7 May 03) to validate. Being in Aus will not change the validation date.

If you go on a holiday visa - you are promising just that, you are not in a position to state to immigration that you are here on holiday to wait for your PR - apparently they don't like that cause they worry about you not leaving if the PR does not come through.

Buying a house on a holiday visa - not very likely check out the FIRB website, renting I do not think would be an issue, just references and the normal hassles of short term lets.

Entering children into schools - not sure, you pay for schooling on temp 457s in NSW so I am sure there would be issues, but may not in Perth.

Medicare - you get emergency reciprocal being on a holiday visa, not day to day antinatal care - check out whether your holiday insurance will pay this.

All in all I do seem to be a bit doom and gloom, but our initial move on visitors visa for the family and a business visa for me was fraught, even down to the point the medical was refused for my daughter and she would have had to leave the country at the end of the three months if we hadn't managed to get a bridging one. I fully appreciate the wait must be awful but I feel you might be adding to an already stressful time for yourself.

Anyway Best of Luck, please feel free to PM me or email for any further details, all just personal advice - do you have an agent - can they help more?

Cheers
Old Feb 3rd 2003, 3:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Grub is an unknown quantity at this point

Blimey- thanks (I think)!
It has made me think maybe we should hang on but the probs is I am on a definite time scale and cant face the thought of moving much later down the line and then having to find a house and schools etc when the bambino is due August. Tricky one!

Re agents- we have got rid of ours as they were useless. Anyway- anyone in the biz tells you not to make any 'non- changeable' plans. But as we all know when you have been waiting 2 years (nearly 3 if you count when we first contacted agents- 4 Corners) then logic tends to fly out the window.

Oh dilemnas!

Bugga- dont know what to do now... hmmm. shall have to think some more on this one!

Cheers anyway!

Nicky 'Confused'

Originally posted by Sandra
Hi Grub sorry to hear about your long wait.

I do not have answers to all your questions just some observations. Once we have all waited so long (I was a May 01 AH London) we do tend to think about alternative measures to beat the wait (We entered as visitors on temp 3 month visas and swopped to temp 457 through company sponsorship so we got to wait out 7 months before PR offer in Australia.

We now have to leave to validate and were advised we usually have to be out of the country for 5 working days to ensure you can arrange the transfer of the visa to your chosen destination (after you arrive there?) We have decided to come back to the UK for this process but I have heard of many people organising this effectively. You are supposed to inform AH London of your proposed Holiday plans to Aus because believe it or not if your London visa get granted before your application for temp travel we were warned we could be in a situation where one overrides the other - need a proper agent to translate this one maybe?

You get usually 12 months from your Police or Medical which ever is earlier (I have until the 7 May 03) to validate. Being in Aus will not change the validation date.

If you go on a holiday visa - you are promising just that, you are not in a position to state to immigration that you are here on holiday to wait for your PR - apparently they don't like that cause they worry about you not leaving if the PR does not come through.

Buying a house on a holiday visa - not very likely check out the FIRB website, renting I do not think would be an issue, just references and the normal hassles of short term lets.

Entering children into schools - not sure, you pay for schooling on temp 457s in NSW so I am sure there would be issues, but may not in Perth.

Medicare - you get emergency reciprocal being on a holiday visa, not day to day antinatal care - check out whether your holiday insurance will pay this.

All in all I do seem to be a bit doom and gloom, but our initial move on visitors visa for the family and a business visa for me was fraught, even down to the point the medical was refused for my daughter and she would have had to leave the country at the end of the three months if we hadn't managed to get a bridging one. I fully appreciate the wait must be awful but I feel you might be adding to an already stressful time for yourself.

Anyway Best of Luck, please feel free to PM me or email for any further details, all just personal advice - do you have an agent - can they help more?

Cheers
Old Feb 3rd 2003, 6:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point

Not killing the postman anymore, Nicky?

It's an awful dilemma isn't it, especially when you have time-limiting factors. I'm sure you'll get some advice.

Best of luck
Mash...

Originally posted by Grub
Blimey- thanks (I think)!
It has made me think maybe we should hang on but the probs is I am on a definite time scale and cant face the thought of moving much later down the line and then having to find a house and schools etc when the bambino is due August. Tricky one!

Re agents- we have got rid of ours as they were useless. Anyway- anyone in the biz tells you not to make any 'non- changeable' plans. But as we all know when you have been waiting 2 years (nearly 3 if you count when we first contacted agents- 4 Corners) then logic tends to fly out the window.

Oh dilemnas!

Bugga- dont know what to do now... hmmm. shall have to think some more on this one!

Cheers anyway!

Nicky 'Confused'