Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Enrolling Preliminary (or Primary) School.

Enrolling Preliminary (or Primary) School.

Old Oct 9th 2009, 7:27 am
Forum Regular

sunitram is on a distinguished road
Default Enrolling Preliminary (or Primary) School.

Hi. My elder son is going to be 6 years old next year and if, only if I have a good luck to get my visa granted (PR), then I'm thinking of going to a suburb of Melbourne with my kids.
I heard from somewhere that preliminary schools are overcrowded in Melbourne. If i get a house rent and there is a school near the house, is there a possibility that my kid is rejected due to the reason of no vacancy remained? I mean public preliminary school.

Anyway, which is correct? Preliminary schools or Primary schools? (for 6 to 12 ? year-old kids)
Old Oct 9th 2009, 9:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Enrolling Preliminary (or Primary) School.

Primary schools for 5 - 12 year olds. Schools have a priority enrolment area and if you live within that area then they are obliged to find a place for a child. However if you want to negotiate with another school then they are not obliged to accept a child who lives outside their catchment area. However, just because a school is close doesnt mean that you are necessarily in their catchment area - boundary lines can be deceptive sometimes.
Old Oct 9th 2009, 9:24 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunitram
Hi. My elder son is going to be 6 years old next year and if, only if I have a good luck to get my visa granted (PR), then I'm thinking of going to a suburb of Melbourne with my kids.
I heard from somewhere that preliminary schools are overcrowded in Melbourne. If i get a house rent and there is a school near the house, is there a possibility that my kid is rejected due to the reason of no vacancy remained? I mean public preliminary school.

Anyway, which is correct? Preliminary schools or Primary schools? (for 6 to 12 ? year-old kids)
Hi - we arrived in Melbourne in Aug. My daughter is a little over 6 and I have got her admitted to a primary school that is a couple of minutes walk from my place! Admission was a breeze - I wasn't even asked for a copy of my tenancy agreement (although the school's website says it is required). As long as you are living within the school zone (best to check with the school before you sign up for your rental) the school has to admit your child - they cannot reject admission. My daughter is in Grade 1 and there are 23 children in her class - this is the same number of students as in her previous school (private) in Dubai.
Old Oct 9th 2009, 11:21 am
Forum Regular

sunitram is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by IndieG
Hi - we arrived in Melbourne in Aug. My daughter is a little over 6 and I have got her admitted to a primary school that is a couple of minutes walk from my place! Admission was a breeze - I wasn't even asked for a copy of my tenancy agreement (although the school's website says it is required). As long as you are living within the school zone (best to check with the school before you sign up for your rental) the school has to admit your child - they cannot reject admission. My daughter is in Grade 1 and there are 23 children in her class - this is the same number of students as in her previous school (private) in Dubai.
Thank Quoll and IndieG both of you so much for your valuable informations. I wish I have a good luck. ^^ Checking school zone is very important. I see.