Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

English language test

English language test

Old May 4th 2017, 3:56 pm
Just Joined

dazwhitt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default English language test

Hi all, I have to do an English test to get to the 60 points. I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on which one to do either IELTS, TOEFL IBT, Pearson (PTE) or the Cambridge English Advanced (CAE) equivalent);

I'm from the UK so my English is not that bad!!! considering I'm from Yorkshire!!!

Sorry if there's a thread already on this forum but the search just froze my computer.

Thanks in advance.

Darren
Old May 4th 2017, 11:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: English language test

I did IELTS, and I think most people go that route.
Old May 4th 2017, 11:14 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou
I did IELTS, and I think most people go that route.
Me too. Try and see if google can chuck you some practice tests, and make a decision from there - or maybe see which one you can get booked into easiest (IELTS can sometimes have a bit of a wait but only a few weeks usually)
Old May 4th 2017, 11:22 pm
Forum Regular

giri26 has a reputation beyond reputegiri26 has a reputation beyond reputegiri26 has a reputation beyond reputegiri26 has a reputation beyond reputegiri26 has a reputation beyond reputegiri26 has a reputation beyond reputegiri26 has a reputation beyond reputegiri26 has a reputation beyond reputegiri26 has a reputation beyond reputegiri26 has a reputation beyond reputegiri26 has a reputation beyond repute

I did IELTS but I have seen people recommending PTE in the forum. So you can probably try practice tests for both online and decide which one you want to take.
Old May 5th 2017, 12:05 am
BE Enthusiast

xizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond repute

IELTS for me - 3 times, in the last 15 years. The first time was "for the heck of it" - I already qualified for the visa on the basis of being "young enough" but wanted to see what the fuss was about. 8.5 average score.

The second and third times were due to the fact I needed the points to qualify. Took those tests way more seriously (meaning, I actually practiced online for the listening and writing components), I figured the reading and speaking would be second nature to a native speaker (I wasn't wrong). I used THIS LINK and found it contained all tips that I needed. Must have helped, because I aced both tests - 9.0 overall score.

I took the academic version 15 years ago, and general versions on the two subsequent attempts.