Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Engineering - transferable experience

Engineering - transferable experience

Old Jul 31st 2006, 10:36 am
Forum Regular

BPadhiar has a brilliant futureBPadhiar has a brilliant futureBPadhiar has a brilliant futureBPadhiar has a brilliant futureBPadhiar has a brilliant futureBPadhiar has a brilliant futureBPadhiar has a brilliant future
Default Engineering - transferable experience

Hi all,

I am qualified as an Aeronautical Engineer and have approx 10 years experience. I have submitted my visa application and I am in the long wait until hopefully the visa is granted.

If succesfull I would like to settle in Perth as I have many friends there and settling in would not be a problem. I notice however that much of the jobs in Perth and WA are mining/civil engineering based jobs and was wondering if employers would consider me beacuse of my experience in Aeronautical engineering - obviously there is some transferable experience.

I dont mind starting on a lower wage job to get the experience, nor do I mind doing some short courses to re-train?.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks

Bhaven
Old Jul 31st 2006, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

ykx1426 has a spectacular aura aboutykx1426 has a spectacular aura aboutykx1426 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Engineering - transferable experience

Hi Bhaven,

I am on route to Perth in Sept. I am a chemical eng (not aeronautical but sure have a read...)with 3 years pharmaceutical exp (i.e. completely different industry to mining) but sure enough have been offered a job as a process eng in a refinery.

So I believe I got the job as I have a good engineering degree along with the 136 visa.

Also send a CV into a recruitment company over there and talk to them - see what they reckon.

Finally, some of the big companies take on undergraduate engineers/working holiday visa people for work experience in the summer - this might be an option for you if you cant get an outright job straight away
Hope this helps.
N
Old Jul 31st 2006, 5:49 pm
Not long now..

robs12 is an unknown quantity at this point

Not sure if I'm allowed to link to another site, but if you take a look at the aussiemove forums, a chap by the name of paulaine posted on 23 July
<<I have been a great fan of Aussiemove and it has helped my family and I with our move here this year - thanx everyone. I am in a position to help someone else now - I need an aeronautical engineer with structural experience for a perm position in Perth. We will sort the visa and pay relocation. Minimum of a degree and 2 years post grad experience is required.>>
Maybe worth getting in touch?
Remember me if you need a manufacturing/production engineer!!
Old Jul 31st 2006, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

mutang is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Bhaven , i too am an aeronautical engineer with my visas finally granted last month. We are moving to Perth in a few months but if you want to further your career Perth + Australia is not the most ideal place.
Aircraft maintenance is not well paid compared to Europe and a good position is difficult to obtain in Perth. The best airline jobs are on the east coast although the pay is still rubbish compared to the UK.
If you have a aircraft licence (B1 / B2 ideally) you must get them converted to the Oz standard. Goto www.casa.com.au for further info , please note that the conversion is expensive and very time consuming.
Unless you are dedicated to the aeronautical industry use the time you have to get a different trade and more importantly you need a trade certificate to get the decent jobs.
PM me if you need any more advice.

Jim
Old Aug 7th 2006, 6:19 am
Forum Regular

5teve is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mutang
Hi Bhaven , i too am an aeronautical engineer with my visas finally granted last month. We are moving to Perth in a few months but if you want to further your career Perth + Australia is not the most ideal place.
Aircraft maintenance is not well paid compared to Europe and a good position is difficult to obtain in Perth. The best airline jobs are on the east coast although the pay is still rubbish compared to the UK.
If you have a aircraft licence (B1 / B2 ideally) you must get them converted to the Oz standard. Goto www.casa.com.au for further info , please note that the conversion is expensive and very time consuming.
Unless you are dedicated to the aeronautical industry use the time you have to get a different trade and more importantly you need a trade certificate to get the decent jobs.
PM me if you need any more advice.

Jim
for some bizzarre reason aeronautical engineering is the lowest paid form of engineering (according to some average wage website that i cant find now!) i have general engineering design experience, and tbh the guys in perth are that desperate for engineers that as long as you seem capable theres a good chance you will get the job! i got mine while i was on holiday there for a few weeks!

Thanks

Steve
Old Aug 7th 2006, 6:50 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

I can tell you this my friend, with your approach and forward thinking you wont have any probs at all, if you are willing to retrain you are on a winner in Australia.

all the best for the future
Old Aug 7th 2006, 7:22 am
Forum Regular

Hi 5teve, may i ask what engineering job you got ?
I presume you have an aviation background did it help in getting the job or are they looking for 'general engineers'
Thanks ,

Jim
Old Aug 7th 2006, 7:51 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mutang
Hi 5teve, may i ask what engineering job you got ?
I presume you have an aviation background did it help in getting the job or are they looking for 'general engineers'
Thanks ,

Jim
hi jim

i dont have an aviation background... to quote "i have general engineering design experience" the aviation wage scale was something i just noted with surprise. i am a design engineer that has a varied background (mainly electromechanical consumer type goods)

the job i got is design of equipment associated with railway and mining, and i think it was a case of 'could he do the job' i obviously could and they were desperate to get me employed.. so much so that they paid for me to go over there for 6 weeks to learn the job with the intention of working on a UK project when i got back to the UK... until we could get back out there on a permanent basis. we are now just preparing to leave for good now..

i also had 2 more interviews while over there (in sydney tho... not perth) and again they were both gagging for 'decent' engineers!

hope this helps... if you need any more info give me a shout!

Thanks

Steve
Old Aug 7th 2006, 12:42 pm
Forum Regular

BPadhiar has a brilliant futureBPadhiar has a brilliant futureBPadhiar has a brilliant futureBPadhiar has a brilliant futureBPadhiar has a brilliant futureBPadhiar has a brilliant futureBPadhiar has a brilliant future

Steve,

Thanks for this - my experience is mainly aerospace design. However I think the way you explaining that I should be able to push the general design experience. After all engineering is engineering just tailiored to meet a particular application.

What are the best agencies for jobs etc?

Up to now I have been applying for all kinds of jobs (aerospace, rail, mining etc) but keep getting rejected which I guess is lack of visa but when I ask this specifically no one tells me. Has anyone else experienced this? I apply for these jobs as bit of a 'fishing' exercise to see if they would take me on but as of yet no one has bit....
I think I should wait til I get the visa then hopefully I will have a better chance.

Best Regards

Bhaven
Old Aug 7th 2006, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BPadhiar
Steve,

Thanks for this - my experience is mainly aerospace design. However I think the way you explaining that I should be able to push the general design experience. After all engineering is engineering just tailiored to meet a particular application.

What are the best agencies for jobs etc?

Up to now I have been applying for all kinds of jobs (aerospace, rail, mining etc) but keep getting rejected which I guess is lack of visa but when I ask this specifically no one tells me. Has anyone else experienced this? I apply for these jobs as bit of a 'fishing' exercise to see if they would take me on but as of yet no one has bit....
I think I should wait til I get the visa then hopefully I will have a better chance.

Best Regards

Bhaven
To Be honest agencies are a waste of time unless you have your visa and you are in the country.. you have to chase them hard... but as long as you are in the country or visiting (as we did for a validation trip) then they are more interested. the job i got was actually advertised in a local paper in the UK.. they were trying to grab some of the laid off railway designers... and got me instead

the best places to look are :-

http://www.seek.com.au/
http://mycareer.com.au/
http://www.careerone.com.au/
https://jobsearch.gov.au/Login/Login...e=0&TextOnly=0

the last one being a government run one (i think)

i was trying to infer that engineering is engineering... and fundamental principles can be carried over... and sometimes it works out well due to the fact you have a slightly different view on things than the guys that originate in the industry.

to recap... search for jobs... see if you can get sponsored.. but if your in a rush... just get your visa.. then start bobmbarding everywhere with your cv etc and dont get demoralised if you dont hear anything back.

Thanks

Steve
Old Aug 7th 2006, 2:40 pm
Forum Regular

As soon as i got my visa i started sending out my CV to employers , i was (and still am) surprised at the lask of feedback from these CV's.
A friendly email saying 'thanks but no thanks' would be nice , its seems that unless you are in the final few for the job nobody gets back to you.
Also , dont bother applying from abroad as this is a big turn off as well...
Hope this helps....i still have'nt found my job yet either!