Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Electrical Fitter

Electrical Fitter

Old Aug 6th 2006, 4:22 pm
Forum Regular

simpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud of
Default Electrical Fitter

Hi, I have had my trade recognised by TRA and I have also been awarded an ARTC (to be collected upon arrival in OZ). Is there anything else i need to apply for to be able to get work in my trade upon arrival in OZ?
Any help gratefully received.
Regards, Darren
Old Aug 6th 2006, 4:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

john_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electrical Fitter

Originally Posted by simpy
Hi, I have had my trade recognised by TRA and I have also been awarded an ARTC (to be collected upon arrival in OZ). Is there anything else i need to apply for to be able to get work in my trade upon arrival in OZ?
Any help gratefully received.
Regards, Darren
Hi there, Your going to need an elecctrical license, probably grade A, to allow you to work. To get this you need to resubmit all your TRA stuff to be assessed once you arrive in Aus. to ...the TRA You might need to do an electrical course as well to get 'up' to the standards required over there.
Loads more info from other sparkies can be found on the working abroad forum...http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=97...
Good luck !!
Old Aug 6th 2006, 6:04 pm
Forum Regular

JosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud of

I think you need to contact someone to see if you need to take any more qualifications. Congrats though - i'm hoping to get the ARTC for my OH before we leave too! If you're going to WA - i think you need to contact energysafe in west leederville. They'll be able to tell you. As you've already resubmitted the stuff to the TRA to get your ARTC, i wouldn't have thought you have to contact them again! Supersonic4 is a regular poster and him and his wife Lorri are tremendously helpful - search for some of their posts - they've been excellent. Hope this helps a bit - keep us informed on how you're getting on!
Old Aug 6th 2006, 7:00 pm
Forum Regular

surfsup is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by john_w
Hi there, Your going to need an elecctrical license, probably grade A, to allow you to work. To get this you need to resubmit all your TRA stuff to be assessed once you arrive in Aus. to ...the TRA You might need to do an electrical course as well to get 'up' to the standards required over there.
Loads more info from other sparkies can be found on the working abroad forum...http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=97...
Good luck !!

I am currently going throught the visa process for oz myself. I am a sparky who has gone through the tre and know about the licence but what is a ARTC? and how do you get it?
Old Aug 7th 2006, 2:46 pm
Forum Regular

simpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by surfsup
I am currently going throught the visa process for oz myself. I am a sparky who has gone through the tre and know about the licence but what is a ARTC? and how do you get it?

Hi, an ARTC is an Australian Recognised Trades Certificate. You need to resubmit all your stuff again to TRA together with a fee ($90 when i did it) and an application for an ARTC. Now this wasn't easy, they said that i couldn't apply for it until i was in OZ but when i explained to them that i needed to know if i was going to be awarded it as it would mean the difference to getting a job or not and that i would collect it upon arrival they were more responsive and submitted my application. It took a few months but i got an mail to say i was awarded it and that i needed to collect it in OZ.

Regards, Darren
Old Aug 7th 2006, 2:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

supersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to all

Just curious ,what type of licence A grade ,elec mech? are you all applying for? Cheers Lo rri
Old Aug 7th 2006, 2:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JosieJ
I think you need to contact someone to see if you need to take any more qualifications. Congrats though - i'm hoping to get the ARTC for my OH before we leave too! If you're going to WA - i think you need to contact energysafe in west leederville. They'll be able to tell you. As you've already resubmitted the stuff to the TRA to get your ARTC, i wouldn't have thought you have to contact them again! Supersonic4 is a regular poster and him and his wife Lorri are tremendously helpful - search for some of their posts - they've been excellent. Hope this helps a bit - keep us informed on how you're getting on!
Hi, I found the energysafe website and from what i can gather i need to submit another application form for an electricians licence. It seems quite straightforward apart from the fact i need to apply for this upon arrival in OZ as it may result in a trades test of some description.
Here is a link to the form;
http://www.esv.vic.gov.au/downloads/EwAndSw_App.pdf

Regards, Darren
Old Aug 7th 2006, 3:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by supersonic4
Just curious ,what type of licence A grade ,elec mech? are you all applying for? Cheers Lo rri

Hi, it will be A Grade licence for Electrical Fitter (working to drawings, panel wiring, installing/repairing machinery etc etc)

Regards, Darren