engineering in adelaide

engineering in adelaide

Old Feb 12th 2007, 7:55 pm
Just Joined

whitey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default engineering in adelaide

hi , new to site, and computers!
just filling forms in for tra
wondering about state of engineering in or around adelaide?
currently working at aircraft factory as maintenance fitter, got all quals and experience for work in factory/production line/working airfield
just wondering if anyone knows availability and salary for similar roles in adelaide /sa
cheers
Old Feb 17th 2007, 11:19 am
Just Joined

Phill n Trace is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: engineering in adelaide

Hi, We have just registered and we will be applying for Visa 136 as OH is Maintenance Fitter - We think! Adelaide is where we want to settle too.

Just gathering info for TRA application and waiting for a personalised pack from agent telling us how and what to do, so in very early stages.

Re: jobs, we searched on line and if you google 'Maintenance Fitter Adelaide' you can get some idea as all the employment agencies come up. Sure I have seen a couple in the aircraft field actually. Only trouble is that they don't seem to add salaries which is a bit odd.

From what we have seen though, it seems to be from £17K - £25K max. Depends what you are on in the UK as to whether you will think the salaries good or crap. Hubby was working for 16 years at BMW/Rover plant in Swindon on good salary, took VR and moved to Devon where wages are a lot lower for some reason, so it doesn't seem that bad, but if he was still at his Swindon Job, doubt if we would think it was very much at all!!

To get a better idea, Mycareer.com.au should come up on the google search and if you go into their site, they have a heading 'advice and research' click on salary, and it lists min,max and average salary for every job. Fitter is listed under Trades section at bottom, but you may find another heading more in line with your job.

One point we are wondering about which you might have experience of, hubby is called electo-mechanical maintenance engineer in current job and his apprenticeship was as electro-mechanical, but they seem to separate electrical and mechanical in oz so is is concerned that he may get TRA go ahead for mechanical but not electrical? We know he will have to be licenced by council fro elec. once he gets there but if he can't touch mains elec without a long period of study or something, he will be buggered. Have you found the same?

Also found lots of helpful advice here and on 'Poms in Oz' forums. If you search the electricians bit of this site, a 'references' thread comes up and a very nice member has listed a letter for his employer to complete as a TRA reference. Very helpful indeed!!

Cheers!:
Old Feb 17th 2007, 11:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whitey
hi , new to site, and computers!
just filling forms in for tra
wondering about state of engineering in or around adelaide?
currently working at aircraft factory as maintenance fitter, got all quals and experience for work in factory/production line/working airfield
just wondering if anyone knows availability and salary for similar roles in adelaide /sa
cheers

Hi, you'll have to excuse my ignorance as I am merely a girl

OK, when you say you are a maintenance fitter, what exactly is that?

My hubby was an electrical engineer in the UK, he worked in a factory and fixed both electrical and mechanical faults on the machinery. Is what you do similar to that (or not )?
Old Feb 17th 2007, 11:38 am
Forum Regular

kancell will become famous soon enoughkancell will become famous soon enough

im interested in this as well, as adelaide is definitely one of my options. im a building services engineer and i believe there are a couple of large firms with offices in adelaide!
Old Feb 17th 2007, 12:21 pm
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
Hi, you'll have to excuse my ignorance as I am merely a girl

OK, when you say you are a maintenance fitter, what exactly is that?

My hubby was an electrical engineer in the UK, he worked in a factory and fixed both electrical and mechanical faults on the machinery. Is what you do similar to that (or not )?
thought hubby was a sparky wendy.
Old Feb 17th 2007, 3:04 pm
Loving it in SA

Katsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by youngy73

Hello guys,
i am a time served toolmaker with 17 years experience i am currently a CNC setter operator and we are going to Adelaide later on this yearm ( once we get the VISA that is )

I regularly check for work in Adelaide and there certainly seems to be quite a bit about.......there is also rumours that there are alot of companies gearing up for the big warfare contract that is coming up in July time this year.

I have got a friend who has been out there for 11 yrs and he says that i should not have much trouble getting employment out there.

check out the Adelaide advertiser........also Adelaidebrits is another good forum............and Adelaidebound are all very good places to check out info on the lovely City.

hope this helps guys

Nice to hear from some other Adelaide goers.

Last edited by Katsmajics other half !!!; Feb 17th 2007 at 3:08 pm.
Old Feb 17th 2007, 9:57 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately in order to work on the warfare contracts you must be either a citizen or eligible for citizenship. Any contract that is for the commonwealth government is like this from what I understand.
Old Feb 17th 2007, 10:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by youngy73

He is/was

He's a fully qualified electrician, but since 1999 he worked in a factory doing maintenance on the machines and also electrical work in the factory. Before that he did domestic/commercial/industrial installations.

He's multi-skilled
Old Feb 18th 2007, 7:26 pm
Just Joined

howellsclan is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone,
Am also off to Adelaide towards end of year as long as house sells as soon as visa is granted.
I'm an industrial electrician. Are there many factories in the adelaide area with job oportunities for maintenance electricians with plc and servo control experience.
cheers
marcus

Last edited by howellsclan; Feb 18th 2007 at 7:27 pm. Reason: forgot to say cheers
Old Feb 18th 2007, 10:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by howellsclan
Hi everyone,
Am also off to Adelaide towards end of year as long as house sells as soon as visa is granted.
I'm an industrial electrician. Are there many factories in the adelaide area with job oportunities for maintenance electricians with plc and servo control experience.
cheers
marcus

There's loads mate