Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Energy Efficiency Rating - For Property Sale

Energy Efficiency Rating - For Property Sale

Old Jan 23rd 2008, 3:42 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute
Default Energy Efficiency Rating - For Property Sale

Most property ads on domain.com are coming with the following 8 attributes:
1 Property Type:
2 Suburb:
3 Region:
4 Building Area:
5 Bedrooms:
6 Bathrooms:
7 Carspaces:
8 Energy Efficiency Rating: for most the item show "Not available"

Just interested if this is a new thing or perhaps i have not been observing this?

Also does this have any relevance in your home buying?

If so what rate would you be looking for? or be wary of?
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 3:57 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Energy Efficiency Rating - For Property Sale

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
Most property ads on domain.com are coming with the following 8 attributes:
1 Property Type:
2 Suburb:
3 Region:
4 Building Area:
5 Bedrooms:
6 Bathrooms:
7 Carspaces:
8 Energy Efficiency Rating: for most the item show "Not available"

Just interested if this is a new thing or perhaps i have not been observing this?

Also does this have any relevance in your home buying?

If so what rate would you be looking for? or be wary of?
The issue with Energy Efficiency ratings, is how you police them. And score them.

It has to be something i feel undertook, on a general level, by real estate agents.

In which they score, insulation, thermal efficiency, electrical efficiency, energy saving devices, water saving measures, sustainability etc.

Id be interested to see what the go is, cos I personally think its a great idea, but am somewhat bemused as to how effectively a score is obtained and given, and policed !

Ste
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 6:49 am
BE Forum Addict

steveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
The issue with Energy Efficiency ratings, is how you police them. And score them.

It has to be something i feel undertook, on a general level, by real estate agents.

In which they score, insulation, thermal efficiency, electrical efficiency, energy saving devices, water saving measures, sustainability etc.

Id be interested to see what the go is, cos I personally think its a great idea, but am somewhat bemused as to how effectively a score is obtained and given, and policed !

Ste
Is it the same thing I have just had to pay 400quid in the uK?:curse:

For some estate agent in badly fitted suit to tell me I'm not energy effeciency (wouldn't think so in a house this old) and I need more of them stupid light bulds that don't fit into my light fittings:curse:

Tina x
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 7:00 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't see how a Real Estate Agent would ever have the knowledge to know the info. They don't know what's in the walls or roof space. Also our house is very energy efficient in summer, we get great passage of breezes through and the house stays cool. In winter obviously it would have a crap energy rating so how would it be judged overall
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 7:22 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

I personally think its a great idea, but am somewhat bemused as to how effectively a score is obtained and given, and policed !

Ste
Yes I agree Steve. I am aiming at 7+ myself and would be slightly annoyed if someone was trying to market a property in a misleading way after all the hard work we are doing to achieve that rating.

From a buying perspective if it is policed correctly I hope it will up the interest in well built homes and put shoddy workmen/developers out of work.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 9:27 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

uh huh, I think it has to be real estate ppl to do it.

for several reasons.

1. you would need the rating to sell home. So what better time to get it done, than at the time you instruct agent to sell house.
2. as agents are out and about and in more homes than anyone else, they are best placed, with training to offer the service.
3. real estate, is already policed, and so false readings etc, could and would bring serious repurcushions, to indemnify misled punters.

Over 40% of our house inside, is energy efficient lighting.
100% of outside lighting is energy efficient lighting
We have double quilt insulation in roof, walls, and foil reflective wrap on whole house.
Solar heated water.
Pressure reducing valves on all taps, in and out.
Tinted windows, and house is positioned at some weird angle to make it thermally efficient
Large eaves.

It all helps.

And as we leave our efficient house, we jump into debs HUGE 4x4 puff on a fag and skiddadle down the rd

How does the scoring work, Geelong.. is their a calculator ??
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 10:04 am
Has left the building

for several reasons.

1. you would need the rating to sell home. So what better time to get it done, than at the time you instruct agent to sell house.
2. as agents are out and about and in more homes than anyone else, they are best placed, with training to offer the service.
3. real estate, is already policed, and so false readings etc, could and would bring serious repurcushions, to indemnify misled punters.

We have double quilt insulation in roof, walls, and foil reflective wrap on whole house.
Solar heated water.
Tinted windows, and house is positioned at some weird angle to make it thermally efficient
Large eaves.

It all helps.

And as we leave our efficient house, we jump into debs HUGE 4x4 puff on a fag and skiddadle down the rd

Someone mentioned on Britvics that all new homes need to be 6 star plus and that an independent assessor comes around and makes the assessment.

OMG sounds like an exam

After tommorrow I might have more info as its a 3 hour stint with the draftsmen/designers.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 11:46 am
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute

for several reasons.

Solar heated water.
Large eaves.

It all helps.

i think this is a crazy idea. its just cost me $16000 to sell my house and the agent did bugger all. if you have to have your house energy rated thats going to cost you another $1000 if the uk is anything to go by. do we really want to make selling property more expensive? energy efficient lighting is crap and the fact that you have to 40% of your floor area covered by it is crazy. if youre prepared to pay for something should you not have the right to choose what you want and not let the government dictate to us what we can and cannot have? some things are practical and others are not. building costs are soaring to the point where many properties in my area that were built less than 3 years ago simply cannot be replaced for what there market value is today.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 12:15 pm
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

Not sure with this one, did however have a chat to a kit home company a few days ago regarding energy ratings etc as wanted extra windows, found I can put "comfort glass" in and the energy rating shoots up, think the shire check this out and work it out so he said. Well that is when building your own.
Jenny