Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

..and this ends my duties with BE.

..and this ends my duties with BE.

Old Sep 21st 2005, 3:29 am
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all
Cool ..and this ends my duties with BE.

High guys, gals and everyone else.

There’s a lot of people on here now who don’t know me, and a lot of people on here who’d probably just not remember, BUT I’ve been in Australia now for a full 12 months! So I thought it was time I let the people who care know I’m still alive, and those who don’t know me something else to read.

Well I landed here in Canberra on the 21st of Sept 2004, all on my lonesome with no family to stay with and just one friend to help out. I had no permanent work lined up but that friend said he’d be able to help there too… although as it turned out he didn’t pay me for the first 3 months of the work I did for him. Now I’m in a full time job working for someone else. The pay isn’t great mind you, but I’m working in my chosen field and everything is going well.

I bought a house 3 months back with a girl I met back in January and it’s all going well. We’re now settled in to our little place and have acquired 6 dogs in the process…. Not sure where they came from but oh well, they’re here now. The house is about 50kms outside of Canberra, in burra NSW, but it’s a world away. So peaceful and quiet it makes us both wonder why we hadn’t done this sooner (obviously for me I just wasn’t there to do it!). The stars at night are unbelievable! When I get the chance I’ll post some photos I took of the area, and you can all enjoy the views we see every morning. (sorry gloating over)

For those who know me, you’ll remember the beasty I used to ride around on, my pride and joy, my BMW R1150GS adventure. It was my only transport for the first 8 months of being here and it was ridden in all weathers. Well you’ll be sorry to hear the beasty has been let go and sold to another beemer nut to look after. The time came where I needed a car, the same time I got the house as it happened (typical eh?), so I’ve joined the 4 wheel cagers for a while… not for too long though. I’m currently saving hard to get back on 2 wheels.

So, if you’re back in the UK thinking it’ll never happen, then don’t worry. I was in the same position and now it seems link only 5 mins ago when I was handing my TRA assessment over to the post office in doncaster to start the ball rolling. Now I’m here, happy and content… well nearly anyway,.. ok nearly on a good day… but everyone has their down days.

My biggest driver for moving out here was that I felt my life in the UK wasn’t going anywhere and I felt like a change. I was in a job I didn’t really like, working for a company I didn’t really like, in a town I didn’t really like, living in a house … ok I liked the house but that’s another story…. And I was lonely, single and desparate. So I thought if I was going to change a job, or move house, or do something along those lines I might as well move to the other side of the world and start again in another country with new opportunities and experiences.

24 months later… and here I am…. Quite strange really when I think about it, but it’s been a giggle and the end result was what I was after. So you could say it was a success. I’m not saying that everyone will be as lucky as me, but it can happen. If you don’t try you don’t know what will happen eh?

As far as the locals go, don’t believe anything you read, the aussies are great. I’ve never felt so at home and everyone is friend and helpful… and positive, which took a while to get used to. Canberra is perfect for me, it’s so laid back at time yet so focused at other. Not living in the city now help with stress level but it keeps reminding me what a beautiful country I now live in… well apart from the dead roos on the roads but I can’t have everything.

So there ya go… life begins again! …. Well it will once I’ve got my bike back!!!!! (don’t tell tammy I said that though! Ok?)

Cheers guys, all the best and good luck to you all whether you know me or not.

Leigh

PS i still haven't found any salt and vinegar peanuts or a supplier of caffreys...
Old Sep 21st 2005, 3:37 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ..and this ends my duties with BE.

Good onya mate. Wondered where you'd got to. All the best.

Paul.
Old Sep 21st 2005, 3:41 am
Hot and sweaty member!!

yvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond repute

well done on surviving a year Leigh and finding a woman to share your happiness with......good to know another bloke got tied down! haha
weve just reached our 2 year mark and are happy too!
Old Sep 21st 2005, 3:45 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Scutter, BTW if you leave the forum, can you raffle off your avatar?
Old Sep 21st 2005, 3:55 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
Scutter, BTW if you leave the forum, can you raffle off your avatar?

Raffle??? Knowing 'im he will Auction it to the highest bidder!!!

Leigh...have already congratulated you on the 1 year thingy and boy, what a year its been, huh? I cant believe how fast its gone. I will have to post a "1 year on" (or should that be "1 year back" post) post in 2 weeks and just know it wont be as interesting as yours

Hope things continue to get better hon and will look forward to coming up your way sometime soon.

Hels
xxx
Old Sep 21st 2005, 4:07 am
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Hels
Raffle??? Knowing 'im he will Auction it to the highest bidder!!!

Leigh...have already congratulated you on the 1 year thingy and boy, what a year its been, huh? I cant believe how fast its gone. I will have to post a "1 year on" (or should that be "1 year back" post) post in 2 weeks and just know it wont be as interesting as yours

Hope things continue to get better hon and will look forward to coming up your way sometime soon.

Hels
xxx
cheers guys,... what can i say? it's been a trip... 13000 miles to be precise!

gruff, if i ever do leave you can have it if ya like... (see i'm not that tight!! :P ) but i wont be going completely, i just feel now my responsibilities to this site are complete.... if you know what i mean.

hels,... you know you'll be welcome. and i'm sure yours is as interesting as mine.

have fun guys.
Old Sep 21st 2005, 4:10 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

So glad everything has worked out for ya......best of luck with ur new life
Old Sep 21st 2005, 4:21 am
going with the wind

sim1112 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey thanks for sharing... so there is hope there for single lonely people in AU Similar here , just arrived though. Let's see what my year brings.

onya
Old Sep 21st 2005, 4:22 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Hiya Scutter...........glad its been a great year for you!!!

Shame about ya bike though, I remember you posting a picture of your pride and joy!
Old Sep 21st 2005, 5:25 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scutterUK
High guys, gals and everyone else.

There’s a lot of people on here now who don’t know me, and a lot of people on here who’d probably just not remember, BUT I’ve been in Australia now for a full 12 months! So I thought it was time I let the people who care know I’m still alive, and those who don’t know me something else to read.

Well I landed here in Canberra on the 21st of Sept 2004, all on my lonesome with no family to stay with and just one friend to help out. I had no permanent work lined up but that friend said he’d be able to help there too… although as it turned out he didn’t pay me for the first 3 months of the work I did for him. Now I’m in a full time job working for someone else. The pay isn’t great mind you, but I’m working in my chosen field and everything is going well.

I bought a house 3 months back with a girl I met back in January and it’s all going well. We’re now settled in to our little place and have acquired 6 dogs in the process…. Not sure where they came from but oh well, they’re here now. The house is about 50kms outside of Canberra, in burra NSW, but it’s a world away. So peaceful and quiet it makes us both wonder why we hadn’t done this sooner (obviously for me I just wasn’t there to do it!). The stars at night are unbelievable! When I get the chance I’ll post some photos I took of the area, and you can all enjoy the views we see every morning. (sorry gloating over)

For those who know me, you’ll remember the beasty I used to ride around on, my pride and joy, my BMW R1150GS adventure. It was my only transport for the first 8 months of being here and it was ridden in all weathers. Well you’ll be sorry to hear the beasty has been let go and sold to another beemer nut to look after. The time came where I needed a car, the same time I got the house as it happened (typical eh?), so I’ve joined the 4 wheel cagers for a while… not for too long though. I’m currently saving hard to get back on 2 wheels.

So, if you’re back in the UK thinking it’ll never happen, then don’t worry. I was in the same position and now it seems link only 5 mins ago when I was handing my TRA assessment over to the post office in doncaster to start the ball rolling. Now I’m here, happy and content… well nearly anyway,.. ok nearly on a good day… but everyone has their down days.

My biggest driver for moving out here was that I felt my life in the UK wasn’t going anywhere and I felt like a change. I was in a job I didn’t really like, working for a company I didn’t really like, in a town I didn’t really like, living in a house … ok I liked the house but that’s another story…. And I was lonely, single and desparate. So I thought if I was going to change a job, or move house, or do something along those lines I might as well move to the other side of the world and start again in another country with new opportunities and experiences.

24 months later… and here I am…. Quite strange really when I think about it, but it’s been a giggle and the end result was what I was after. So you could say it was a success. I’m not saying that everyone will be as lucky as me, but it can happen. If you don’t try you don’t know what will happen eh?

As far as the locals go, don’t believe anything you read, the aussies are great. I’ve never felt so at home and everyone is friend and helpful… and positive, which took a while to get used to. Canberra is perfect for me, it’s so laid back at time yet so focused at other. Not living in the city now help with stress level but it keeps reminding me what a beautiful country I now live in… well apart from the dead roos on the roads but I can’t have everything.

So there ya go… life begins again! …. Well it will once I’ve got my bike back!!!!! (don’t tell tammy I said that though! Ok?)

Cheers guys, all the best and good luck to you all whether you know me or not.

Leigh

PS i still haven't found any salt and vinegar peanuts or a supplier of caffreys...
what a lovely story , wishing you and tammy lots of happiness and little ones in you new life together, i love these happy endings, Denise
Old Sep 21st 2005, 5:32 am
Happy mum of 2 Aussies

Wanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to behold

Hiya!

I remember you.... talking about going it alone and motorbikes.
Well, I got here, got myself a job, an Aussie man and a bike - and now I'm engaged too!
There are lots of happy stories on here.... really, really pleased that you're one of them!

W.
Old Sep 21st 2005, 7:10 am
BE Enthusiast

pako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nice

Great post, it renews my faith in what I'm doing, thanks. All the best with everything
Old Sep 21st 2005, 7:10 am
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Scutter, glad its going great for you hun!
Old Sep 21st 2005, 7:32 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Nice one Scutter. Glad its working out
Old Sep 21st 2005, 7:33 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

I agree - great post - glad it's all working out for you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.