Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

ending the Phone and Electricity

ending the Phone and Electricity

Old Apr 8th 2005, 11:06 pm
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all
Default ending the Phone and Electricity

We`re not getting far with BT or Seeboard.

BT say they`ll have to send us a final bill a few weeks before we leave and cut the phone off then.... we can`t not have a phone for a few weeks before we leave. We only pay them for line-rental (are with Onetel for all calls) anyway, so surely they`d know exactly how much we owe them on the 31st of May.

And Seeboard say they`ll need us to ring them on the day we leave with a final meter reading so they can charge us... but hey ppl, we won`t be in the country and the bank account will be closed. We thought we could ring them with a reading and pay over the phone that day.... but that makes too much sense to them I guess.

Geez. How did you people sort this out.
Old Apr 9th 2005, 8:40 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ending the Phone and Electricity

Originally Posted by Stormz

BT say they`ll have to send us a final bill a few weeks before we leave and cut the phone off then.... we can`t not have a phone for a few weeks before we leave. We only pay them for line-rental (are with Onetel for all calls) anyway, so surely they`d know exactly how much we owe them on the 31st of May.

And Seeboard say they`ll need us to ring them on the day we leave with a final meter reading so they can charge us... but hey ppl, we won`t be in the country and the bank account will be closed. We thought we could ring them with a reading and pay over the phone that day.... but that makes too much sense to them I guess.

How about getting them to cut you off the day you leave but give them a UK address (parents?) they can send the bill to. Leave them some money to pay the bill or do it online.
Old Apr 9th 2005, 9:42 am
Banned

Fuzzy Duck has a brilliant futureFuzzy Duck has a brilliant futureFuzzy Duck has a brilliant futureFuzzy Duck has a brilliant futureFuzzy Duck has a brilliant futureFuzzy Duck has a brilliant futureFuzzy Duck has a brilliant future

My phone, and therefore internet was switched off about a week before we left and the bill was sorted. The electricity however had to be left on as we had not sold the house by the time we left and has only just sold, we paid 7 months UK mortgage while trying to start a life here, a real drain on resources!
Old Apr 9th 2005, 7:52 pm
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by worzel
How about getting them to cut you off the day you leave but give them a UK address (parents?) they can send the bill to. Leave them some money to pay the bill or do it online.
Our parent`s are in Oz, but we could ask a friend to sort the bill out somehow I hope....
Old Apr 9th 2005, 8:01 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Our parent`s are in Oz, but we could ask a friend to sort the bill out somehow I hope....
I'd recommend cancelling any direct debits before you leave as it may be a nightmare to get the money back. Pay final bills by cheque (keep your UK bank account open).

Jeremy
Old Apr 9th 2005, 8:10 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
(keep your UK bank account open).
I'd echo that. We plan on keeping our UK bank account open to deal with a few final bills. When the visa comes, we'll be away on pretty much the next available flight
Old Apr 10th 2005, 2:37 pm
An Australian Citizen !!

Jimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to behold

Hello Stormz

As suggested by others - keep your UK account open - if you are able to do so - at least until you are sorted back in Australia.

Like you - I am not looking forward to dealing with Seeboard.

Jim
Old Apr 10th 2005, 8:35 pm
Superfreak!!

Yeah we`re keeping it open after we leave... hopefully won`t cost us much with Barclays.

Have killed off most of the direct debits already (including rent as we wanted to make sure we get our deposit back).

Will try and sort BT and Seeboard out during the week. Surely we`re not the first ppl to leave the country.
Old Apr 11th 2005, 10:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Manchester UK to Sydney, then decided Gold Coast, stayed there for 8 months and now back in sydney
threlly is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: ending the Phone and Electricity

hi,
i phoned BT and they said just dont use the phone the day b4, they will then work out the bill and we can pay over the phone by debit card the day we leave.

electric/water-called them, they said give them the meter reading when leaving and pay over the phone using debit card. both BT and electric and water said the same thing, they already know we are leaving flat on 27th, so its on their records. if they need anymore money, they will send the bill to bf parents and they will pay it by chq, should only be a matter of a few pence anyway.
sounds easy, but lets just wait and see. we are closing all our bank accounts and have cancelled all direct debits. luckily, bf parents said give their address to BT, water and electric so they can send final proof of payment and ask for any money if needed-like i say though shouldn't be for much money
good luck

Old Apr 11th 2005, 10:53 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Seeboard were a pain in the watsit. I used to pay monthly, and was in credit by about £50 when I closed the account. They accepted the final meter reading, sent me a statement saying I was in credit, but didnt send the requested cheque. When I rang them they said their computer system had a major failure that day and so it would not pay out on certain accounts that were in credit, mine being one of them. Further correspondence brought the response that IT were working on the problem and gave a SIX MONTH timeframe for it to be fixed.
At that point the letter went from me to their managing director, copied to my MP. Nice letter with cheque by return from MD, promising words would be had!!!
Still,at least they had less power cuts than Energex do here.
Old Apr 11th 2005, 6:42 pm
An Australian Citizen !!

Jimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Seeboard were a pain in the watsit. I used to pay monthly, and was in credit by about £50 when I closed the account. They accepted the final meter reading, sent me a statement saying I was in credit, but didnt send the requested cheque. When I rang them they said their computer system had a major failure that day and so it would not pay out on certain accounts that were in credit, mine being one of them. Further correspondence brought the response that IT were working on the problem and gave a SIX MONTH timeframe for it to be fixed.
At that point the letter went from me to their managing director, copied to my MP. Nice letter with cheque by return from MD, promising words would be had!!!
Still,at least they had less power cuts than Energex do here.
Hiya

This was what I was inferring when I said I wasn't looking forward to dealing with Seeboard. Like you - we are in credit by a good few pounds and I can just imagine it will be like getting blood out of the proverbial.

Good move writing to the MD though - that normally tends to concentrate their minds a bit!!

Regards

Jim
Old Apr 12th 2005, 9:53 am
Superfreak!!

Well done Pollyanna! I`m waiting for the council to start complaining after I stopped all direct debits... including their rip-off £150 per month (for what!!???).
Old Apr 12th 2005, 9:58 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

TV licence was pretty funny too - if you pay by DD you pay for 6 months of the year in advance. so I carefully worked out at what point I had paid enough to cover me till I left the country, then stopped the DD. They threatened hell, high water amd court action, and seemed incapable of understanding that I had paid for what I would use. Their logic said that I should keep paying, then claim a refund - stuff that!
Old Apr 13th 2005, 12:31 pm
Forum Regular

Big Bird has a spectacular aura aboutBig Bird has a spectacular aura aboutBig Bird has a spectacular aura about

Stormz,

Thanks for questions, I had not even thought about the utility bills yet. We are hoping to emigrate in November, but reading the problems that Pollyanna had about being in credit with the electric company and trying to get the money back makes you think about how to make it easier at the end.

Made the decision to cancel all dd's now as we are already in credit with gas and electric. Will pay as we go (as suggested by Jeremy).

Karma sent and I hope you sort your bills out OK.

BB
Old Apr 13th 2005, 7:29 pm
Moomin member

peppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nice

Originally Posted by Pollyana
TV licence was pretty funny too - if you pay by DD you pay for 6 months of the year in advance. so I carefully worked out at what point I had paid enough to cover me till I left the country, then stopped the DD. They threatened hell, high water amd court action, and seemed incapable of understanding that I had paid for what I would use. Their logic said that I should keep paying, then claim a refund - stuff that!
How did you work out when you pay up til pollyanna...I pay by DD and didnt know i was paying in advance

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.