Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Employment worries

Employment worries

Old Jan 14th 2009, 11:46 pm
Forum Regular

Anne2Oz is just really niceAnne2Oz is just really niceAnne2Oz is just really niceAnne2Oz is just really niceAnne2Oz is just really niceAnne2Oz is just really niceAnne2Oz is just really niceAnne2Oz is just really nice
Default Re: Employment worries

Originally Posted by RCoight
The news, though grim, is not entirely negative:

Yahoo News story
thanks for posting this
Old Jan 15th 2009, 12:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: An expat Aussie trying to understand why anyone wants to move to Oz.
Devlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of light

Hot off the press:

http://business.theage.com.au/busine...0115-7hdk.html

Massive drop in full-time jobs

Chris Zappone
January 15, 2009 - 11:36AM

The economy lost 44,000 full-time jobs in December as companies reduce payrolls to brace for a possible recession.

The unemployment rate rose to 4.5% from 4.4% in November, as home loans plunge, construction activity falls and business confidence shrivels.

Full-time employment dropped by 44,000 to 7,640,200 while part-time positions soared 42,800 to 3,102,200, bringing the net loss of jobs to 1200.

Economists had expected 20,000 jobs to be shed last month, but the biggest monthly drop in full-time positions since March 2003 came as a surprise.

'Big worry'

"The massive decline in full-time employment, down nearly 44,000 it's a big worry,'' said economist Matt Robinson of Moody's Economy.com. "Even with offsetting force of part time employment.''

"It shows weakness in job security and having their hours cut back.

"It's a real shift in employers' behaviour.''

The labour force shrank by 1100 seasonally adjusted, after a loss of 15,600 positions in November. Economists had expected 20,000 jobs to be shed last month. While 43,900 full-time jobs were cut, 42,800 part-time jobs were created.

The Australian dollar first bounced on the headline employment number but quickly retreated in the face of the steep loss in full-time jobs, losing as much as a quarter of a US cent to 65.76 US cents.

Unemployment to rise

While total employment numbers rose to 10,749,400, economists took the figures as a sign for future bad news.

"The trend is showing employment growth is fading fast,'' said Rob Henderson, chief economist at NabCapital. "Full-time employee growth is deteriorating.

"Labour usage is waning. And unemployment is rising.''

Mr Henderson said NabCapital is looking for unemployment to reach 6% by the end of the year, with a monthly increase of 0.1 to 0.2 percentage points.

Further boost needed

The slumping jobs numbers suggest the Reserve Bank's rate cuts of last year, along with the government's $10.4 billion stimulus package still have some way to go before they kick in, providing the boost needed by consumers and business to keep the economy expanding through a period of sluggishness.

A rising unemployment number puts more pressure on the RBA to cut the interest rate again when it next meets in February, after the central bank already lopped off three full percentage points in the last four months of 2008 in an effort to juice growth.

The market is expecting a 0.75 percentage point rate cut in February to the cash rate, currently at 4.25%, according to Credit Suisse.

More companies cut staff

Yesterday, Ford Credit Australia said it would cut 160 staff as it exited the retail car finance industry. The losses come after retrenchments announced by GE Money and GMAC Australia, ANZ Bank, Qantas, and GM Holden.

The mining sector, too, critical to Australia's growth, has been cutting back workers in recent months. Since November 1400 people have lost their jobs in mining and mining related jobs in Queensland alone.

Rio Tinto has announced 15,000 job cuts worldwide and has postponed mining projects in NSW costing 346 jobs.

While coal miner Xstrata has chopped about 380 workers from over the past two months.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

chasmw is a jewel in the roughchasmw is a jewel in the roughchasmw is a jewel in the roughchasmw is a jewel in the roughchasmw is a jewel in the rough

So - is the seasonal Christmas lull over for new jobs? I have a specific search I do on Seek.com everyday and my view is that for the role I'm looking for, if anything it's gone quieter!
Can anyone see any "green shoots" in the Australian job market yet?
Old Feb 4th 2009, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

bjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nice

I was made redundant last Friday. Luckily, last Wednesday I got another job offer for 50% more. So all things turned out OK in the end. I just have to move to another state (NSW).
Old Feb 4th 2009, 8:44 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chasmw
I have a specific search I do on Seek.com everyday and my view is that for the role I'm looking for, if anything it's gone quieter!
Yup, I'd agree with that (IT roles).

Nope, afraid not.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 9:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

RCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud of

It's going to depend a lot on which industry you are in, where you are located and your own personal work history and experience.

I know my company, for example, is still recruiting for budgeted heads (usually replacements).

I gather from 1 of the recruitment managers that they're not advertising jobs so much but going through people who got to second interview before Christmas but weren't offered jobs instead. Apparently putting an advert out there means that within literally hours the recruitment team are inundated with applications.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 9:03 pm
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Yup, I'd agree with that (IT roles).
Yes I would agree with that , I have my own search and it is very much shorter now plus I never seem to get any calls despite the fact I have all the required experience.

There is something I am missing I don't know what maybe my utter distain for my current career path seeps of the pages.

"7 years experience in Bl**dy Oracle & SQL F**king Server"
Old Feb 5th 2009, 8:59 am
Forum Regular

criodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud of

I've been emailing a friend of a friend who heads up a recruitment firm in Aus, and he advised me, at the moment, it wouldn't be the best time to just arrive and look for a job, unless I had quite a bit of experience in the area I wanted to get work in (technical writing). I have experience, but not enough to put me at a good advantage. Hopefully I can get some of it in Europe (anywhere in Europe!) this year..

Saying that, he didn't say I wouldn't get a job either, he just used the mining companies as an example...
Old Feb 5th 2009, 8:46 pm
Its all going south......

betsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of light

So - is the seasonal Christmas lull over for new jobs? I have a specific search I do on Seek.com everyday and my view is that for the role I'm looking for, if anything it's gone quieter!
Nope sorry the job market is just getting worse, and i wouldn't take much notice of the jobs you see on the internet we have applied for loads and you never hear back, we are not the only ones either. Lots are out of work at the mo and there will be huge numbers of people going for the same position.
Unfortunately as a pom you are bottom of the pile, they think that we all go home after six months..............WE WOULDN'T HAVE TO IF WE HAD WORK!