Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Employment worries

Employment worries

Old Jan 12th 2009, 11:32 am
Forum Regular

movingaway is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Employment worries

Having all the stress of applying for the visa, trying to sell the house to no avail, deciding to rent, it now crosses our minds that when we get there we may have problems getting a job. It was the last thing that we had thought about. What happens if we go over there and can't find work?

Anyone else have these worries?
Old Jan 12th 2009, 11:34 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Employment worries

I suppose that totally depends on what type of job you have and where you will be living....
Old Jan 12th 2009, 11:35 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by movingaway
Having all the stress of applying for the visa, trying to sell the house to no avail, deciding to rent, it now crosses our minds that when we get there we may have problems getting a job. It was the last thing that we had thought about. What happens if we go over there and can't find work?

You get a slab of beer in & send the Mrs out to work.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 11:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bordy
You get a slab of beer in & send the Mrs out to work.

Unless your female, then you get a slab of beer and send the hubby out to work
Old Jan 12th 2009, 11:39 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by movingaway

Yes, we both came over with little money and no jobs. Husband found a job on the third day and I found a job after 6 weeks.

In my opinion, submitting your resume online and hoping for a response is not always enough. It has to be followed up with a phonecall.

I had an up to date resume to hand out from my work folder along with copies of references that contained emails to verify, copies of my certificates, and UK police checks with a promise to get Aussie ones.

I treated every single agency interview as a job interview - kept it smart, professional and formal.

Worked for me but it isnt always easy to find a job, its even harder to find that 'right/perfect' job and you have to put yourself out there.

Some people are lucky with employment, others not so but look smart, be prepared to change direction or accept a lower position (not always), sell yourself well in the interview, be flexible and accept the fact that the work ethic here is very different.

It is normal to worry and normal to have these feelings but keep an open mind, a willingness to change/retrain and you are halfway there.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 12:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

philnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud of

We have about $40k which we are hoping will last us about 12-14 months, we dont need want or have a car, until we get jobs. Hopefully that will be soon after we arrive.
I did initially have worries about finding work, but every time i look on Seek there always seems plenty about for IT related stuff.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

Australia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of light

What area of IT are you in?
Old Jan 12th 2009, 2:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

philnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud of

Me ? It varies, I am trying to find a single area and stick to it, I have done 2nd, 3rd line network support, Network installs, server builds, Network admin, even a bit of programming and web design the list goes on, I have my CCNA exam on the 19th Jan, I just thought i would be some thing good to do but was really hoping to go back to being a field Engineer. I love being out and about rather than being stuck in an office or comms room.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

Anne2Oz is just really niceAnne2Oz is just really niceAnne2Oz is just really niceAnne2Oz is just really niceAnne2Oz is just really niceAnne2Oz is just really niceAnne2Oz is just really niceAnne2Oz is just really nice

Originally Posted by philnorris
Me ? It varies, I am trying to find a single area and stick to it, I have done 2nd, 3rd line network support, Network installs, server builds, Network admin, even a bit of programming and web design the list goes on, I have my CCNA exam on the 19th Jan, I just thought i would be some thing good to do but was really hoping to go back to being a field Engineer. I love being out and about rather than being stuck in an office or comms room.
the job situation is worrying... but thanks for all the tips
Old Jan 12th 2009, 4:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: An expat Aussie trying to understand why anyone wants to move to Oz.
Devlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Anne2Oz
the job situation is worrying... but thanks for all the tips

You should be worried. Australian job vacancies have dropped dramatically recently. If you are employed in the UK perhaps you should re-think the timing of your move?
Old Jan 12th 2009, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

koolkat is an unknown quantity at this point

Im doing the same but im an architect not moving til may thought hopefully market will get better. Anyway it cant be any worse than the uk !!>
Old Jan 12th 2009, 7:44 pm
CDM
BE Enthusiast

CDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud of

I'm an experienced UNIX engineer and I'm also somewhat worried about this. Some other Ozzies in IT have suggested that I needn't worry about it and that my experience should see me through but you never really know until you arrive I suppose.

What's at the very least clear is that Australia is also starting to experience the same sort of slowdown in the IT industry that has affected the UK.

Leaving the UK for Oz might be a case of out of the frying pan and into the fire. However, even if that's true, the frying pan here is already sizzling fiercely and the fire there isn't a full-scale blaze yet ... and besides, if you're going to be out of work or worried about job prospects, wouldn't you at least want to be sunning yourself at the same time?

- CDM
Old Jan 12th 2009, 7:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Well with Aus being about 6 - 12 months behind UK I would not be sanguine about the job market unfortunately.

Early last year we had a few positions advertised in our organization and the field of applicants was very slim and not great quality.

Just before Christmas we advertised for a couple and were overwhelmed with really good applicants and last week we advertised for one very lowly paid position on Monday and by Wednesday had 5 really strong applications plus another few who were a bit so so. We are a lowly paid charity so not great salaries on offer.

The job market here is changing rapidly and the unemployment rate is rising - some people are opting to return to those skills they originally trained in but left for greener pastures like teaching and nursing. We also have (according to the man from Hays) a significant cohort of retirees re-entering the workforce because their retirement incomes have plummeted.

I'm with Devlin - if you have a job which is secure then dont chuck it.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

koolkat is an unknown quantity at this point

Its better regret something you have done than something you havent done.

People worry too much. A job is a job. If you move to a big city like melbourne there will be loads of jobs. Even if your qualified in something you can go down a step doing something similar to what you do but for less money.

Ive got a good job here in the uk in leeds and just been promoted. Im still jacking it all in and ****ing off lol

Most english need to chill out.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 8:00 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by koolkat
Its better regret something you have done than something you havent done.

People worry too much. A job is a job. If you move to a big city like melbourne there will be loads of jobs. Even if your qualified in something you can go down a step doing something similar to what you do but for less money.

Ive got a good job here in the uk in leeds and just been promoted. Im still jacking it all in and ****ing off lol

Most english need to chill out.
It's a slightly different situation though if you spend most of your savings moving to the other side of the world to a country where you will have no access to unemployment benefits. Many people on here talk about moving over with less than A$10k - that will be lucky to last them their first 2 months - what if they don't find work?

I'm currently looking for IT positions in Melbourne....and pickings are very slim. Where a Seek search in say, November brought back 200 results it is now returning around 70.....many of those are the same job advertised by multiple agencies.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.