Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

employment references

employment references

Old Jul 5th 2004, 6:26 pm
Forum Regular

thedrys is an unknown quantity at this point
Default employment references

Do u need to get a reference from your current employer before applying for a visa?
I would prefer to wait for my visa before informing them as it could seriously affect my position and remuneration
Old Jul 5th 2004, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

gordys is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: employment references

If you're applying on skills basis - yes. Unfortunate but what can you do. Thumb suck a good story for the letter and stick to it. My story worked out really well until the High Commission decided they wanted to come visit me at work to validate the reference and workplace.

Originally posted by thedrys
Do u need to get a reference from your current employer before applying for a visa?
I would prefer to wait for my visa before informing them as it could seriously affect my position and remuneration
Old Jul 5th 2004, 9:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by thedrys
Yes, current work reference is required for skilled migration if current job is relevant to your skills assessment and points required for your application.

You will probably have to talk it through honestly with your employer. If the process time for your application subclass is a year, it's not necessarily a bad thing - your employer might even appreciate being notified a year in advance. If you've been with the company for a long time, you'll have plenty of time to do a handover.

If the process time for your application subclass is only 3-4 months, then your position within the company can't be affected than much, can it? Worst case they want rid of you early but will still have to give you 1 month notice. You'll just have to take your chance.

How significant is the remuneration for you, compared to your planned new life in Australia? If the remuneration is that important, you may want to save up more and apply later. But again that's also taking your chance as immigration system can change while you are waiting. You'll also get fewer points as you get older.

It's all a question of your own personal priorities.

Good luck whatever you decide,
Mrs JTL
Old Jul 5th 2004, 10:05 pm
Hello from Brisbane

irishmolly is an unknown quantity at this point

One tip - tell your employer you need a reference for a mortgage or other such like financial transaction. Explain this on your visa application cover letter and you'll be fine, they understand that people don't tell their present employer until later in the process.

Good luck.
Old Jul 6th 2004, 9:30 am
Forum Regular

thedrys is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by JackTheLad
Yes, current work reference is required for skilled migration if current job is relevant to your skills assessment and points required for your application.

You will probably have to talk it through honestly with your employer. If the process time for your application subclass is a year, it's not necessarily a bad thing - your employer might even appreciate being notified a year in advance. If you've been with the company for a long time, you'll have plenty of time to do a handover.

If the process time for your application subclass is only 3-4 months, then your position within the company can't be affected than much, can it? Worst case they want rid of you early but will still have to give you 1 month notice. You'll just have to take your chance.

How significant is the remuneration for you, compared to your planned new life in Australia? If the remuneration is that important, you may want to save up more and apply later. But again that's also taking your chance as immigration system can change while you are waiting. You'll also get fewer points as you get older.

It's all a question of your own personal priorities.

Good luck whatever you decide,
Mrs JTL
Thanks all for your thoughts. We are already just into the over 39 age bracket i'm afraid and the kids will start years 8 and 9 in Sept. so time is not on our side-it's now or never!! It's good to get all the little niggley worries sorted first though I reckon, before spending lots!!!!!!! All the help on here really puts life into perspective!!! Get me out of here!!!