Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Employment market in NZ/Aus cities

Employment market in NZ/Aus cities

Old Oct 3rd 2003, 9:38 am
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Employment market in NZ/Aus cities

There's been various threads on here asking about getting jobs in various cities, so I thought it may be useful to attempt to consolidate a quick run down of the employment markets in each place.

I think the most important thing to note - especially in the case of NZ, is the populations of each place. Many people plan to go to Nelson or Tauranga or Napier for the lifestyle, but the fact is that you will be very lucky to find a professional job in these cities. Likewise, jobs in the trades will pay a lot less than tradespeople can make in the UK.

This is not meant to be a negative post - rather a realistic one clearly showing where you can expect to find work in your field. eg Auckland and Wellington are the main places to be in NZ if you're looking for a IT job - Christchurch, Hamilton, and Dunedin would be next - beyond that they would be rare and limited to small consultants, or national/local govt jobs.

I know little about the Aust market, and my knowledge of some NZ towns is worse than I thought. This really has got me thinking - what do people actually do for jobs in Tauranga??

Of course wherever there is a popn base there are accountants and lawyers and tradespeople etc, but by and large many NZ towns are built upon tourism and/or agriculture bases.

Perhaps some others with more knowledge can post more on the employment demands of these cities:

Auckland 1,074,510 - finance, international and national business, IT, tourism, research
Wellington 339,747 - govt, public sector, business, IT, research
Christchurch 334,107 - local business, tourism, science (eg antarctic)
Hamilton 166,128 - University, agriculturally driven (research, dairy industry)
Napier-Hastings 113,673 - tourism, ???
Dunedin 107,088 (eg = popn of York) - university, tourism, science
Tauranga 90906 - tourism, agri produce, ??
Nelson 52000 - tourism, ??

Sydney 4,154700
Melbourne 3,488800
Brisbane 1,653,400
Adelaide 1,110,500
Perth 1,397,000
Canberra 321,300

And remember that these cities are much more isolated than those in Britain, so the economic advantages of population density are not there - (eg England alone has 50 million people live in an area only 1/6th the size of New South Wales!!) - which makes the employment market quite a different beast - and commuting is much easier.

Man I wish I could write short posts....
Old Oct 3rd 2003, 11:04 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Brisbane has a growing IT sector, certainly not big yet, but bigger than it was 3 years ago. Alot of clients/employers are government departments that no longer just depend on telephone help desk from Sydney/Melb. Someone else with more experience can add more.

The other thing that is booming in Brisbane are trades, particuarly ones related to the building industry, but just in general as well. The joys of a growing city & resultant infrastructure. The building thing would be in a boom Australia wide.

A lot of jobs in tourism & related industries.