Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Emigration to NZ

Emigration to NZ

Old Feb 26th 2004, 10:43 am
Forum Regular

debtay is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, Kumue looks lovely, I just did a quick google on it and it looks quite close to Auckland. Would you say it's a good commuting location for the city? Any chance you could post some of your pics please?

Thanks
Old Feb 26th 2004, 9:13 pm
Forum Regular

hubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nice

It is in the West of Auckland and you would need to take the North Western motorway in which is always gridlock. Having been here for 18 months (Auckland) I would imagine you are looking at over an hour drive in each day and then the return trip, coming out of the city in rush hour is murder so maybe a bit longer to get home.
Think very carefully as to where you live in Auckland in terms of your drive to work. I would advise anyone who finds an area they are interested in to do a 'dry run' into the city in rush hour and then see if the commute is acceptable. Do not take other people's word for it - my experiences are that people (particularly the Kiwis) tend to under estimate the driving times.
Old Feb 26th 2004, 10:11 pm
Forum Regular

oops...I thought there would be a catch. Does the city have a plan to build a light transport system? (trams for instance) sounds like they would have quite a few thousand potential customers. Reduce the pollution a bit too!!
Old Feb 26th 2004, 11:02 pm
Forum Regular

michaela is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I will certainly let you have a look at photos, email me on [email protected] and i will reply to it. I drove from Kumue to Auckland and got lost and it only took me 40 mins (including finding right way again) another lovely little place is Helensville which is next to Kumeu.

Michaela
Old Feb 26th 2004, 11:55 pm
Just Joined

net88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Emigration to NZ

Go for it!!! we left the Uk 4 years ago now and love it here,we live in Sunny Gisborne, no traffic, low crime, beaches, wonderful lifestyle!!! its pure heaven!! oh wait, i thought so, then last nightmy wife announces she is home sick!!! yikes, and if she could have turned the clock back she would not have left the UK! HELP!!!
Came as a shock to me, thats for sure.
She said she misses her freinds, family, UK supermarkets with a decent choice of ( cheap ) grocceries,and a few other things.
so now i gotta think on about the future!!
Good luck to you on your move!

Originally posted by model_500
Hi there,

I'm seriously giving some thought to moving away from the UK for good. It's a real wrench in many ways as I've lived in Manchester my whole 33 years and have many friends and family here. I just feel it'd be a good thing for my family though (we have a 1 year old girl and another baby on the way ) for many reasons.

I'm an IT Manager for quite a large UK firm and it seems there's a real IT shortage according to the NZ government sites. I just wondered whether you guys could help me make my mind up. I'm really after safety and a good life for my family. Looking at the cities I'm leaning towards Wellington. What's the general attitude towards people who emigrate? Are they generally welcomed?

There's obviously so much to think about - I'd also be really interested to hear about the experiences of people who've done the same thing.

Thanks in advance for your kind replies.

Chris
Old Feb 27th 2004, 1:39 am
Just Joined

miss brodie is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE]Originally posted by michaela
[QUOTE]Originally posted by model_500

Chris

What are you waiting for ???? I travelled to NZ on holiday last year and really didnt want to come home. I would suggest not moving to Wellington, its nickname is Windy Wellington and believe me when it rains it rains, is very much like Manchester. wet damp and cold.
Auckland or the North of the North Island is beautiful, very picturesque with beautiful beaches and lovely weather, The south island is very much like scotland, mountainous and beautiful. I personally loved Auckland or the Bay of Islands. There is a little town about 25mins from Auckland called Kumue and yes u can leave doors unlocked. I recommend here, ideal for kids and a growing family. If you want pictures I can email to you. Just email me first [email protected]

Good Luck

Yeh, Wellington can be windy and wet, but Auckland is also very rainy at certain times of the year and can be humid. Wellington is a place of extremes. Today is beautifully still, as was yesterday and the day before. Last week it blew a gale. However, Welly is nothing like manchester, not even remotely, and i should know - i have lived in both places for significant periods of time. It is much much smaller and much much greener. Very accessible and with a large waterfront (and don't go quoting Salford Quays at me or the tweeness that is Castlefield - not even remotely the same thing!) It rarely drizzles here - the weather is more dramatic. Blazing sunshine, blowing a gale, teaming with rain, a lot less grey drizzle.
Old Feb 27th 2004, 7:44 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by net88
Go for it!!! we left the Uk 4 years ago now and love it here,we live in Sunny Gisborne, no traffic, low crime, beaches, wonderful lifestyle!!! its pure heaven!! oh wait, i thought so, then last nightmy wife announces she is home sick!!! yikes, and if she could have turned the clock back she would not have left the UK! HELP!!!
Came as a shock to me, thats for sure.
She said she misses her freinds, family, UK supermarkets with a decent choice of ( cheap ) grocceries,and a few other things.
so now i gotta think on about the future!!
Good luck to you on your move!
She's bound to feel a bit like this, even if you'd moved within the UK . We moved 150 miles and I felt the same, until I went back one weekend and remembered why I'd moved in the first place. If you haven't already done so maybe a visit home would put things right, or you could get some friends and family over to see you ?